Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why did Charlton oppose a winter break?

edited September 2008 in General Charlton
According to David Davies, Charlton were the only Premier League team who opposed a winter break in 2005/06:

"Making use of research showing players were four times less likely to get injured during the last three months of the season in countries with a winter break, Sven and I addressed the Premier League chairmen. They voted 19 to one in favour, with only Charlton's Richard Murray opposed. "

Anyone know why we stood alone on this?

Comments

• Lol.

Maybe they Murray et al wanted an excuse to not spend Crimbo with their families?
  • Maybe because in the PL we lost every game after January, so the more games we get in by then the better!
  • Or maybe CAFC thought that Xmas and New year games were an important part of our football tradition and so should be continued while any supposed benefits for the England team would not materialise as the players would be taken off to Dubai or China to play friendlies rather than resting.

I'd imagine it helped our cash flow as well.

Don't know if that is the case as don't remember hearing this discussed. Maybe before my time or they didn't bother to tell me ; - )
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Or maybe CAFC thought that Xmas and New year games were an important part of our football tradition and so should be continued while any supposed benefits for the England team would not materialise as the players would be taken off to Dubai or China to play friendlies rather than resting.

Spot on as ever Henners, agree 100%. Very proud that Mr. Murray stood up for tradition. The thing that the odd, other worldly bubble that the football industry has become tends to forget is, at the end of the day, they are just entertainers - modern day jesters or clowns - paid to entertain the public, and we want entertaining when we have some time off, ie Boxing Day and New Years Day. They earn shed loads of money for going out to have fun, and the sacrifice they make for 15 odd years out of their entire life, is missing a few Christmasses at home. Imagine actors appearing in panto moaning about having to work Christmas ! It's what you bloody do for heavens sake, if you don't like it, get an office job an earn the pittance the rest of us do...
  • Thanks Henry, jusrt what I wanted to hear.
  • Did our one rejection mean it could not be passed through ???
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Thanks Henry, jusrt what I wanted to hear.

Don't know that what I said is true, just my take on it.

If and when Richard emails me I'll let you know the real reason : - )
  • edited September 2008
    No - it was only blocked because Richard Scudamore wouldn't allow it through.
    He had Sky's interests at heart, rather than the fans of course.

I would link to it but WSS won't let me!

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=19617