Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Police warn fans to behave ahead of local derby

edited September 2008 in General Charlton
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/charlton/news/display.var.2454728.0.police_warn_fans_to_behave_ahead_of_local_derby.php

Comments

• Let's hope so but can;t see it
  • Damn.

Was planning on taking a pillow to embark on some serious stripey suffocating, but am in two minds now following that warning.

What should i do ? Should i downgrade the pillow to a lightweight cushion, and hope to high heaven that i get away with it ???
  • wow !! 15,000.

YOUR GROUNDS TOO BIG FOR YOU, YOUR GROUNDS TOO BIG FOR YOU
    EXCEPT THAT IT'S NOT YOUR GROUND, EXCEPT THAT IT'S NOT YOUR GROUND
  • "Police expect a crowd of 15,000". Surprise Palace have sold so many

Let's hope no innocent people get attacked, unlike last time, people behave and all our gloating after another win is good natured and taken in the right spirit by the Palace fans
  • edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]wow !! 15,000.

YOUR GROUNDS TOO BIG FOR YOU, YOUR GROUNDS TOO BIG FOR YOU
    EXCEPT THAT IT'S NOT YOUR GROUND, EXCEPT THAT IT'S NOT YOUR GROUND

"This grounds too big for you,
    And it don't belong to you"

"Re-united, you're having a laugh"
  • My Croydon Copper mate reckons he is the only one with the night off tonight.

Crazy.
  • They'll be no trouble tonight, i'm sure.

This is the actual British Transport Police release i presume NS's piece was based off:

BRITISH TRANSPORT POLICE OUT IN FORCE FOR LOCAL DERBY

British Transport Police officers will be out in force tomorrow (Tuesday, September 30) as Crystal Palace and Charlton Athletic meet for their first match at Selhurst Park this season.

BTP football liaison officer Lee Garrett said more than 15,000 fans were expected to attend the match.

"We're hopeful that fans will behave themselves during this fixture, although we’re conscious that it’s the first time the two sides have met at Selhurst Park since a serious disorder incident last year.

"We will have officers out in force across the rail network, including police dogs and the public order unit, and will be working with colleagues from the Metropolitan Police to ensure that fans get to and from the match in safety and that any potential trouble is dealt with as swiftly as possible."

Last year, a serious disorder broke out on a train carrying Charlton Athletic supporters travelling to a game at Crystal Palace as well as ordinary members of the public including women, children and the elderly.

So far 10 Crystal Palace fans have been jailed for between 24 months to 40 months their part in the disorder, described by the courts as "mob conduct at its worst".

They were also given football banning orders ranging from six to 10 years which prevents them from attending football matches in England and Wales and from entering any pub in the borough of Croydon during home matches. They are also prevented from travelling on trains on any day when England or Crystal Palace play.

PC Garrett said in a pleasing result the Court of Appeal this month upheld the sentences of two of the men who were attempting to have their jail time reduced.

"This should serve as a stern warning to any football supporter who wants to engage in hooligan behaviour. The courts treat these incidents extremely seriously and if you engage in such offences you can expect to face jail and or be banned from attending matches," he said.

PC Garrett said alcohol nearly always played a factor in football-related disorder.

"We would encourage supporters not to over indulge. The majority of football fans are law-abiding citizens who are out for a good day of sport. There is however nearly always a small minority who seem determined to be anti-social and through their behaviour bring the notion of being a supporter into disrepute.

"We're not here to spoil the fun but people have the right to travel on the railway network and go about their business in safety and without being subjected to offensive or drunken behaviour."
  • "based on" Copied word for word more like but when you offer the NS your services as a real writer they throw it back in your face, don't they Paul ; - )

[cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

"We're not here to spoil the fun but people have the right to travel on the railway network and go about their business in safety and without being subjected to offensive or drunken behaviour."

Yes, that means you CharltonDan!
  • Thats funny, me and some (former...Henry) colleagues got a nice letter from Croydon police on Saturday, that was nice wasn't it.
  • "We would encourage supporters not to over indulge"

For Charlton Dan I tihnk this is meant!!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Thats funny, me and some (former...Henry) colleagues got a nice letter from Croydon police on Saturday, that was nice wasn't it.

As did some Palace fans
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]"We would encourage supporters not to over indulge"

For Charlton Dan I tihnk this is meant!![/quote]

Ha ha very true
  • Haha Henry but I didn't write it for NS, it was originally a news story : )
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Thats funny, me and some (former...Henry) colleagues got a nice letter from Croydon police on Saturday, that was nice wasn't it.

As did some Palace fans

Yep, been a regular thing last couple of games against them, told the officer in question I wasn't going anyway (which I'm not), but he said as he had seen me he had to hand it to me, thats even after I gave him some free tickets for Brands Hatch, the corruption in the met these days is awful :-)
  • edited September 2008
    As did some lad who got told off for once swearing at a football match a few years back. Im sure the police have looked into it fully that they can actually do this??!
  • [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]Haha Henry but I didn't write it for NS, it was originally a news story : )

So you are having a go at your colleagues in the news team now! Scandalous : - )
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]As did some lad who got told off for once swearing at a football match a few years back. Im sure the police have looked into it fully that they can actually do this??!

They can, its not telling you dont go, but if they see you with other "known faces" etc in a group etc they can send you packing on the basis of prevention of trouble and use the letter against you in court if duly charged with anything, warning shot across the bows is the way I see it.
  • No not at all, just saying it wasn't me : )

In fairnesss, I think a lot of news stories are press release based due to the sheer number which come through every day so it doesn't necessarily come as any surprise to me this one was.
  • [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]No not at all, just saying it wasn't me : )

In fairnesss, I think a lot of news stories are press release based due to the sheer number which come through every day so it doesn't necessarily come as any surprise to me this one was.

Pretty much how journalism works. Even at the big nationals you can see PA or press releases used almost word for word so can't blame a local journo for doing the same.

Press officers would see it as a success that their releases were well written enough to be used as they stand.
  • i bet every camera cctv that is,has been updated from London to sellhurst for this one and in working order
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]i bet every camera cctv that is,has been updated from London to sellhurst for this one and in working order

We can get a picture of you in your hat and knitted scarf then !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ha yes Brunello the palace will see me coming