Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

R.I.P. The Royal Joke [sic]

edited August 2006 in General Charlton
What a pigs ear they've made of that! It was a complete shambles. Got there just before 1400 and it was about 50% full compared to normal. Only six free range bar-staff swanning around asking who's next, "do you mind your Guinness in a Carling glass?" still took ages to get served, no Sky Sports game on the box etc. So few people out the front, old matey didn't have anyone to usher back on the pavement!
I bet they took less than half what the old gaffer used to scoop on a matchday.

Comments

• Options
    Shame to hear, the Oak since the return has always been THE pub for all true Charlton fans, as a certain someone else would say.

Hopefully its just a bedding in period
  • Options
    Give them a chance! It'd imagine it's pretty hard to grasp running a pub, let alone a pub as unique as one that's only packed to the rafters one day every fortnight!
  • Options
    I remember being in the Horse & Groom after the first match back, they underestimated the number of customers and their thirst and consequently they ran out of beer. I'm sure the new landlord will catch on what match days are like and adjust accordingly.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    i use the bugle on match days, 4 tele's in the pub and a big screen out back show all footie including prem + legally. but yesterday the place was only half full compared to usual match days.
    even though i only use it on match days barstaff are proper people who acknowledge you even when they are busy.
  • Options
    Also very disappointed with the Oak. Service was poor before and after the match even though, as stone says, the pub was only half full. We ended up in the Horse and
    Doom.

Part of the Oak clique is looking for a new venue with prem plus - maybe Liberal Club or Con Club?
  • Options
    never been in either the con club or the liberal, would be willing to give either a try.

i've got down to Charlton an hour before KO last two games and really couldn't be bothered squeezing myself in the Oak...
  • Options
    AFKA you could swing a cat in there an hour before kick off - most people have given up trying to get served.
  • Options
    Liberal Club have given up on Prem Plus this year but still have Sky. Beer is cheap and plenty of bar staff. Always a good mix of home and away (except when Everton come to town)
  • Options
    Bugle has got Prem Plus, loads of space, decent bar staff who serve you or at least ackowledge your there
  • Options
    Where is the bugle? I've stopped driving to the Valley so a decent pub would be good!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From the station, turn right and walk to the top of the hill. Directly opposite, in the heart of Charlton Village.

Though don't expect much village life !
  • Options
    Thanks-defo beats the coffee/burger bar opposite the club shop! Especially when i's raining!!!

What's it like after the match?
  • Options
    fine, its a nice cosy little pub.
  • Options
    Well I'm finally back in The Royal Oak.
    The White Swan took a big dive and I've found out they do a decent pint and you can actually get served in there again.
  • Options
    Bit early though ain't you ?
  • Options
    7 years ago.

Is that the biggest gap of a 're visited charlton life thread?
  • Options
    your Guinness has probably settled by now and ready to top up.
  • Options

never been in either the con club or the liberal, would be willing to give either a try.

i've got down to Charlton an hour before KO last two games and really couldn't be bothered squeezing myself in the Oak...

I was just about to call AFKA out as a big fat liar, as I've seen him in the Lib on a few occasions............then I realised the post was 8 yrs old. #Facepalm