Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ipswich Away

DA9DA9
edited September 2008 in General Charlton
Driving to my first away game this season in a few weeks, anyone know what the parking is like in Ipswich...rock spectacle?

Comments

• there is a big retail park - frankie and benny's etc quite near by - the station is 5 mins walk from the ground and the retail park is another 5 minutes up from that.
    not sure the time limits on it thought. I do remember lots of people getting in cars in their shirts last season, but not sure if they were being picked up or had been parked there the whole time.
    we got the train cos its cheap as chips! (and its not that nice a place so you have to have a few drinks to appreciate it!)
  • think Ginge might give this a miss LOL
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]there is a big retail park - frankie and benny's etc quite near by - the station is 5 mins walk from the ground and the retail park is another 5 minutes up from that.
    not sure the time limits on it thought. I do remember lots of people getting in cars in their shirts last season, but not sure if they were being picked up or had been parked there the whole time.
    we got the train cos its cheap as chips! (and its not that nice a place so you have to have a few drinks to appreciate it!)

Been there by train many a time, first time driving, is the Drum & Monkey still there?
  • dunno. we were ushered into the pub right opposite the station which was an absolute hole and was ridiculously hot and it took about 45 mins to get served. no idea of the name of it.
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]there is a big retail park - frankie and benny's etc quite near by - the station is 5 mins walk from the ground and the retail park is another 5 minutes up from that.

Been there by train many a time, first time driving, is the Drum & Monkey still there?

Yes but its home fans only.

The away pub is the Railway Hotel
  • Parked at some mechanics garage last year around the corner from Portman Road, which cost a fiver, in what was supposedly 'secure' parking. Got back to the cars after the game and about a dozen cars had been vandalised/broken into, both either side of mine (fortunately my car wasn't attacked) had been done and the garage owner was left confronting a number of angry supporters (mostly Charlton).
  • Anyone going up by train?
  • You should use the pay and display car park(Princes Street) You can also use a school in Paul's road, also pay and display at the Railway station.

Expect a long delay getting out of the pay and display unless you get there early due to footy traffic and shopping punters.

Not a good idea to park in portman road,also a good idea to remove any stickers or any cafc stuff.
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]dunno. we were ushered into the pub right opposite the station which was an absolute hole and was ridiculously hot and it took about 45 mins to get served. no idea of the name of it.

The Royal Oak? ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: EGAddick[/cite]Parked at some mechanics garage last year around the corner from Portman Road, which cost a fiver, in what was supposedly 'secure' parking. Got back to the cars after the game and about a dozen cars had been vandalised/broken into, both either side of mine (fortunately my car wasn't attacked) had been done and the garage owner was left confronting a number of angry supporters (mostly Charlton).

They cars hadn't had quotes for the repair pinned to the windscreens had they?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2008
    [quote][cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Driving to my first away game this season in a few weeks, anyone know what the parking is like in Ipswich...rock spectacle?[/quote]

Driving up myself DA9 and have a friend/supplier who works very close to the ground, so I'm going to ask him what the score is on match nights.

I'll let you know what I find out.
  • and me please KB taking the little fellow as it's half term
  • Will do.

As soon as I know more, I'll get back to everyone on here, but might whisper those that have requested specific information.
  • [cite]Posted By: KillersBeard[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Driving to my first away game this season in a few weeks, anyone know what the parking is like in Ipswich...rock spectacle?

Driving up myself DA9 and have a friend/supplier who works very close to the ground, so I'm going to ask him what the score is on match nights.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Cheers
  • Seriously reconsidering this trip now.
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Seriously reconsidering this trip now.

I wonder why?
  • does anyone know when the tickets go on sale and at what price? i fancy this one as i have not been to portman road.
  • I for one will give this a miss
  • I'm going to Cardiff instead
  • Parking was a piece of p*ss last year. Parked for about a fiver within a few minutes walk from the ground.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: ChiAddick[/cite]does anyone know when the tickets go on sale and at what price? i fancy this one as i have not been to portman road.

28 notes and they go on general sale on saturday. Sorted out the train today and got a reasonable £12 return ticket.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I'm going to Cardiff instead

I fancied that but its Dec's b'day so not allowed :-(

there is a wagamama there now too!!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I'm going to Cardiff instead

Tavern fancied it too but he's not allowed either.
  • My friend is checking on the parking and will get back to me.

However he has said that I can use the car park that belongs to his company for the night, which is a bonus. Sorry I can't extend that to all, but will try and get more info as soon as possible.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I'm going to Cardiff instead

Tavern fancied it too but he's not allowed either.

could have been a joint b'day / anniversary do for all of us! boooo to you two kill joys!
  • edited October 2008
    Okay I know it's a bit early, but I have been given some parking details for next weeks Ipswich game.

Apparently street parking around the ground is limited if not impossible and you have to be quite away north of the ground or south of the river to get any spaces, (I remember parking south of the river last time out and walking in and it wasn't too bad).

There are car parks in Portman Road and several in the town centre, they are all about a fiver for four hours parking. Of the town centre ones there are, Quadling Street, Fransiscan Way, an underground one at the end of Civic Drive and one a bit further out at Tacket Street. Obviously the earlier you get there the better, especially the Portman Road ones, which will also take longer to get out of.

There may also be a car park next to the Railway station, but not sure about this one as there may be building works going on. Been told that the Station Hotel pub is a real ale establishment and may be okay for away fans, but unfortunately I'm not sure about all of this as the info was very sketchy.

Could be worth checking by yourself on all of this as the information was from a local who did not seem to sure about events during a footie night.

Hope some of this helps and hopefuly I might see a fellow 'Lifer' up there.
  • Well....even though I'm depressed at how we are playing, Pardews inane comments and that the take over has fallen through I'm still gonna go. It's my last attempt in the hope that the team f***ing responds. I'll be singing until I loose my voice again, just like at Palace. Anyone else going up on the train or am I on my own?!?!?!?! Once people are up there where are people drinking?