Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A short point on the songs for tomorrow

edited September 2008 in General Charlton
Perhaps i'm getting old and boring, i don't know.

But football songs and football people should never, ever be linked to children or tragedy.

'Football humour' encompasses one of the widest spectrums there is, and virtually everything is viewed as acceptable. So is the effort to try and antagonise the opposition.

But certain things simply shouldn't be seen as acceptable. It is wrong, plain wrong, and i would of hoped that we as a collective would be above that.

I will be passionately getting behind my side on Tuesday night, i will be passionately making clear my thoughts on Selhurst, Jordan etc.

But i won't be vocally implying an albeit loathable character makes him a peodophile or child murderer, or revelling in the tragic death of a fellow football fan.

Time we all grew up.

Comments

• Wheels on the bus should be shouted down I totally agree. with you that is bang out of order.
  • when wotb starts perhaps we try to get VFR going instead
  • If the Madeline McCann song is sung I can see Jordan making a huge deal out of it, the media catching on and it being almost as big a thing as the Hull fans who sung "Town full of bombers".

Kelvin Mckenzie would be rubbing his hands with glee.
  • as if anyone would sing that. just cos some random idiot sang it on sat afternoon i very much doubt that would take off at all.

Tho the wheels on the bus i can. that was sung saturday afternoon from the north upper.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Wheels on the bus should be shouted down I totally agree. with you that is bang out of order.

Personally i can't see the McCann song taking off, but the WOTB has been sung for years and i heard it a few times on saturday. Can't see you eradicating that in one night.
  • Sadly it's one of those things that has always existed in football and always will. After Hillsborough the Man Utd fans chanted at the Liverpool fans, where's your famous Munich song? Yet after a cup semi-final at Old Trafford between Liverpool and Chelsea some Liverpool fans graffitied Munich 58 in the toilets, likewise some Utd fans chant anyone for a game of squash.
  • To be honest I've always found the songs sung in England fairly civilized compared to Scotland. Maybe it's better now. I do recall attending a Celtic Hibs match with some Hibbee mates. One had waded into a bunch of lads who were racially abusing Paul Elliott and shut them up. The police later through him then threw him out for swearing. Society moves on and if you hear someone talking trash, let them know or at least make it clear that you think they're scum.

Generally I think that it's accepted that a portion of football fans lack class and nobody takes them too seriously. It cracks me up when Celtic fans get mortally offended about people spoiling the minute's silence for the pope or Leeds fans winding up Man U about Busby. It's part of the game, grim though it is. I like your sentiment AFKA but can't see any quick solutions other than pointedly not take part.
  • I will be very vocal tomorrow, and I'm sure you will all join me with a very slow "VALLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEYYYYYY FLLLLLLOOOOOYYYDDDDD RRRROOOAADD"
  • [cite]Posted By: Hillsys Up[/cite]I will be very vocal tomorrow, and I'm sure you will all join me with a very slow "VALLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEYYYYYY FLLLLLLOOOOOYYYDDDDD RRRROOOAADD"
    And a "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Arrrrreeeeee Chhhaaaarllllttttoooooon, Suuuuppppppperrrrr Chaaarrrllllttttoooooon"
  • Oh god the slow chants are awful! And they don't come across... let's bring out loads of the old ones, about OUR TEAM as well as goading them

And wheels on the bus should defo be shouted down
  • Sponsored links:

• well said Danny I hate the wheel on the bus song and no one hates Palarse more than me. I think the younger supporters haven't a clue why it's sung to be fair though but need telling and shutting up.
  • slow does work if you have enough fans singing it its quite effective

But as we are Charlton maybe we should give it a miss

Anyone for

CAFC CAFC
    CAFC
    CAFC
    CAFC
    CAFC
  • that CAFC one is far to hard
  • Whats wrong with the WOTB song ?
  • palace fan was killed by a coach against man u in a cup game years ago
  • Is 'The Palace Family' still allowed?
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Is 'The Palace Family' still allowed?

That chant is rubbish anyway, makes no sense against teams like Palace. Fine with isolated farming towns like Ipswich but Croyden doesn't exactly have a small gene pool does it?
  • Is that a no then?
  • looks like it

looks like

CAFC
    CAFC
    CAFC
    CAFC
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Is that a no then?

I won't be there Falc so don't worry about upsetting me! ;-)

Just making a general point. It was funny the first time I heard it but now it just gets sung all the time no matter who the opposition is - the novelty has worn off for me! I think the covered end could do with giving its repetouir (sp?) a general overhaul.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Is that a no then?[/quote]

I won't be there Falc so don't worry about upsetting me! ;-)

Just making a general point. It was funny the first time I heard it but now it just gets sung all the time no matter who the opposition is - the novelty has worn off for me! I think the covered end could do with giving its repetouir (sp?) a general overhaul.[/quote]

No point mate
    tried a few different songs on Saturday think one song ha teh whole of 5 of us joining in

Not much hope
  • yippie aih ee, yippie aih ooh
  • As long as I don't hear any 'we sent the palace down' chants I'll be happy...
  • hears an idea how about not saying what people cant sing but just F**KIN SING !
  • boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i really like the wheels on the bus
  • Build a bonfire?
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

That's probably our best chant at the mo - very popular at least!
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Is 'The Palace Family' still allowed?

That chant is rubbish anyway, makes no sense against teams like Palace. Fine with isolated farming towns like Ipswich but Croyden doesn't exactly have a small gene pool does it?

I always think that, we seem to sing it against everyone though!
  • Keep it simple.
    Charlton boys we are here shagging your women and drinking your beer,or
    Your gonna get your fuc
    Ducks.
  • edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]hears an idea how about not saying what people cant sing but just F**KIN SING !

Ahmen