Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

TIME TO DROP GRAY?

edited September 2008 in General Charlton
Is it time to drop him, what's your opinion?

Comments

• How much does he weigh?
  • In the last three games we have won one lost one drawn one not sure he should be dropped, but equally can't work out how we can instil something into the team that will get them to play to their potential .. something the manager should do.
  • Where does he live? I'll drop him if I'm going that way.
  • too much obviously!
    Too many simple opportunities wasted imho.
    2 games running could have won us the game, Nott's and Wednesday.
    Bring in Toddy or Dickson.
  • Iwelumo was better as he is proving at Wolves....Pards is a tosspot can't judge talent to save his life
  • It all comes down to the service these players are regularly getting, both Iwelumo and Gray will score goals given the right balls into the box and equally sometimes they will both miss sitters. This board was crying out to drop Iwelumo and to give Varney and Gray a regular slot last season so here is pards doin exactly that and guess wot 'he's a tosspot''.
  • Time to play to his strengths instead of merely lumping the ball up to him in the hope that he can somehow fashion a flick on or headed lay off. What we need is to get him into the box on the end of crosses both high and low.
  • [cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]Iwelumo was better as he is proving at Wolves....Pards is a tosspot can't judge talent to save his life

I disagree, and think Gray is better - if their positions in their respective teams this season were swapped, Gray would have as many as Big Chris has got, Big Chris would have less than Gray has got.
  • Gray / Iwelumo, another pointless argument there is zero point in having now. People very quickly forget the stick Iwelumo got last season as well....

Gray fluffed a chance yesterday, but his return has been decent so far this season.

Lets get behind OUR players for christ sakes.
  • I probably can't comment on players performances not seeing them week in week out. So my comment on Gray above is probably not fair. However the fact that Iwelumo has gone and is doing brilliant pisses me off. Its like watching the EPL with my son and I keep telling him oh that guy used to play for charlton (today it was Michael Turner). He always ask me why does Charlton always let their better players go? I honestly can't answer him except that we have always been a selling club. Anyhow here is my EPL team of ex-Charlton ( loan players included) :)

Scott Carson
    Luke Young
    Michael Turner
    Danny Shittu
    JLLoyd Samuel
    Scott Parker
    Lee Bowyer
    Andy Reid
    Amdy Faye
    Carlton Cole
    Jermain Defoe

Maybe insert Song for Faye and not a bad team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gray didn't do much on Saturday other than miss the chance to kill the game off. Problem is no striker looks good when they don't get the ball. Look at Iwelumo.
  • 7 yds out for fecks sake open goal even izale would have scored
  • nope pissed off and it is all down to you, you have snatched my rosetinted security blankie
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]7 yds out for fecks sake open goal even izale would have scored

He made a mistake, lets not bury him for it.
  • Thank God, Bing.

a bit of common sense on a drop dead thread.
  • Top scorer, misses an easy chance. We should have dropped him before Donny Rovers I say
  • [cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]Iwelumo was better as he is proving at Wolves....Pards is a tosspot can't judge talent to save his life
    [cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]I probably can't comment on players performances not seeing them week in week out.

I have to say, these two posts are truly stunning!
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]Iwelumo was better as he is proving at Wolves....Pards is a tosspot can't judge talent to save his life
    [cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]I probably can't comment on players performances not seeing them week in week out.

I have to say, these two posts are truly stunning!

Me too

As people have said Big Chris was getting murdered on this site and elsewhere despite being top scorer and working his bits off every game.

Yes, we didn't always play to his strenghts but then again we didn't (and don't) always play well either.

Terrible miss by Gray. Wouldn't be surprised to see 4 - 1 - 4 - 1 or 4-5-1 or whatever it is we played at Forest against Selhurst. In that case one of Varney or Gray will be dropped as Pards seems reluctant to play Varney out wide.
    [cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]

Scott Carson
    Luke Young
    Michael Turner
    Danny Shittu
    JLLoyd Samuel
    Scott Parker
    Lee Bowyer
    Andy Reid
    Amdy Faye
    Carlton Cole
    Jermain Defoe

Maybe insert Song for Faye and not a bad team.

Not a bad team but two were loans so never our players, two left at 16 before signing contracts so the club had no choice, two have played a season or less in the premier league, one left last century for a record fee for a teenager, one left for £11m, far more than he has fetched in two subsequent moves and one is Amdy Faye.
  • [cite]Posted By: Badger[/cite]How much does he weigh?
    lol!
    Stick with Gray and Varney and try to address problems elsewhere, with Zheng and Ambrose in the team we should be much, much stronger going forward and see much better service for the front two.

Our biggest problem seems to be out wide - not sure we have any reliably good full backs or out-and-out wingers.
  • Sponsored links:

• No to dropping Gray, maybe switch Varney to the wing to give Dickson a go is all I would change on ocassions, I certainly wouldn't take Gray off either at any stage as we were left with nothing in the air, as shown again Sheff Wed.
  • gray is our top bloody scorer for crying out loud.

Maybe do what razil says.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Time to play to his strengths instead of merely lumping the ball up to him in the hope that he can somehow fashion a flick on or headed lay off. What we need is to get him into the box on the end of crosses both high and low.

Gray scored two cracking headers at the Valley last season, sadly against us for Buernley, but the point is he can do it with the right service, but I have yet to see the same sort of ball played into the box for him since he joined us, alternatively he just has not come across any defending that has been so woeful, as ours last season.!!
  • edited September 2008
    I would not drop or move varns he had 3 almost goals and one that ended up in the net. Why continue to play a player who has missed two simple goal scoring chances in two games? bring in Toddy or Dickson.

Varney is actually quite good in the air with his heading ability one example was at Reading fouled then straight on to his feet for the header which was a goal!
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Time to play to his strengths instead of merely lumping the ball up to him in the hope that he can somehow fashion a flick on or headed lay off. What we need is to get him into the box on the end of crosses both high and low.

Gray scored two cracking headers at the Valley last season, sadly against us for Buernley, but the point is he can do it with the right service, but I have yet to see the same sort of ball played into the box for him since he joined us, alternatively he just has not come across any defending that has been so woeful, as ours last season.!!

sorry to be a pedant but he scored one of those headers he also scored a penalty
  • No room for Darren Bent in that EPL side?
  • Simple answer is 'No'
  • What is EPL?
  • Ejército Popular de Liberación
  • Sylvan Ebanks Blake joined Wolves for the same price as Charlton paid for Gray and Ebanks-Blake is a much better player although him and Gray are different types of strikers i still think we should of signed Ebanks-Blake instead of Gray