Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 19th Sept 1995. Wimbledon 4 Charlton 5

2»

Comments

• Options
    As was mentioned a couple of times already, 10 goals that week and I was lucky enough to be at both games-that was pocket money very well spent!

I was convinced we'd blow it in the second leg and remember the celebrations and relief when Robinson scored the 3rd.

They were great times, just starting to go to away games with my mates and a team of players who were 'proper' Charlton like Balmer, Humphrey, Rufus, Leaburn etc.

I love Charlton.
  • Options

[quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]3,718 - How many did we take?

Seemed to be more of us than them - AdamAddick got it right, it really felt like a playground game in terms of the number of goals flying in. Daft fact - I think their goalie got man of the match believe it or not, the norm was to give it to someone on the home side regardless. He got a mountain bike I think! Second leg was 3-3 I seem to remember, highlight was a sublime ball from Bowyer to put Robbo in for a goal at the covered end.

True - I remember him receiving his bike. He was hugely embarrassed.

PS; Peter Garland still plays vets football
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Remember this Wimbledon game well, we were going crazy in the second half as the goals just kept coming. We were 2.1 up at half time, then they equalised and went 3.2 up but Lee Bowyer scored within a minute when his shot bounced down over the line off the underside of the bar and then he hit one from the edge of the area for 4.3 and the Kim Grant cut in to fire home for 5.3. Shame they got another one back.

Remember our support that night was good, their`s was terrible, couldn`t hear a thing when they scored their goals.

Then on to Ipswich on the following Saturday and at 0.1 down at half time no-one would have guessed what was about to unfold in the 2nd half. A Leaburn hat-trick including a penalty(I think) and another 5 goal haul away from home. Paul Linger scored an absolute belter to wrap it up late on.
  • Options

[quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]3,718 - How many did we take?

Seemed to be more of us than them - AdamAddick got it right, it really felt like a playground game in terms of the number of goals flying in. Daft fact - I think their goalie got man of the match believe it or not, the norm was to give it to someone on the home side regardless. He got a mountain bike I think! Second leg was 3-3 I seem to remember, highlight was a sublime ball from Bowyer to put Robbo in for a goal at the covered end.

The man of the match was chose by Charlton fan Steve Sutherland!
  • Options

Peter Garland was, IMO, one of the most underrated cafc players. A great footballing brain and a belter of a shot. Kind of like a poor mans Andy Reid.

Peter Garland was immense in that game, pulled the strings from the centre of the park...
    Peter Garland was immense in every game....
  • Options
    One of Bowyer's goals didn't cross the line. I don't think it was even close!
  • Options
    These were the days where I hardly ever missed a home or away game. I was on holiday and missed 3 games. 1-1 with Oldham at home, 5-4 Wimbledon and 5-1 Ipswich. Even back then Charlton were letting me down (:
  • Options

These were the days where I hardly ever missed a home or away game. I was on holiday and missed 3 games. 1-1 with Oldham at home, 5-4 Wimbledon and 5-1 Ipswich. Even back then Charlton were letting me down (:

Ah yes, the famous Leaburn hat trick at Ipswich. Quite possibly the worst hat trick ever. One a scuffed penalty, and (all?) against an outfield player in goal I think.
  • Options
    Went to this with @rikofold‌ was an unreal game. Bowyer was sublime and Garland's goal a stunner. As already mentioned we definitely out numbered the home fans.

The 3-3 in the second leg was a cracking match as well.
  • Options

Went to this with @rikofold‌ was an unreal game. Bowyer was sublime and Garland's goal a stunner. As already mentioned we definitely out numbered the home fans.

Robbo nearly had an embolism when he got the third (or set it up, I forget, I just know it was him and Bowyer).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was 7 at the time, but I remember owning the VHS of the replay of this game - I think it was called WHITE HOT.

Was at the 2nd leg which was an incredible game. Was actually thinking about it last week when the news about David Whyte came through and was reminiscing about those mid 90s days. Can't believe its 19 years ago!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Robbo nearly had an embolism when he got the third (or set it up, I forget, I just know it was him and Bowyer).
    Robinson curled the third one round the keeper. As you say, he got quite excited...
  • Options

Do you know what @clem_snide, I thought I must have gone to this game and with you, but other than the Bowyer hattrick which I remember seeing I'm drawing a blank on the game itself. Couldn't have been pissed because I was almost certainly driving. Was pretty much home and away in those days, so seems odd I can't recall a 5-4 win!

Remind me, did Bowyer score one of those goals after a ball over the top, for which Garland was very much offside but running back and not interfering? Was it that game?

Garland could have been a brilliant player if he didn't like the pies so much.
  • Options
    22 years ago now
  • Options
    Big fat Pete's best performance (that I saw) in a Charlton shirt
  • Options
    Saw both games, a brilliant 4 or 5 days.
  • Options
    I was there a real topsy turvy game.

I remember Peter Garland but can't remember if he was any good and who we got him from?
  • Options
    I was at this and the second leg. Bowyer was great at the Valley as I recall.
    Great days.
  • Options

I was there a real topsy turvy game.

I remember Peter Garland but can't remember if he was any good and who we got him from?

I think Newcastle, he was Keegan's first signing there.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Edit - turns out I repeated myself word for word from years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

22 years ago now

Where have the years gone , I fucking loved following us back then what a band of not so many we were

When you think how good bowyer was at his tender age his value in today's market would've been insane

• Options
    Great match and the week in which we scored 5 away from home twice !
  • Options
    The museum will have a VHS copy of this game come the end of the week.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I was also one of those there that evening, what a game. Bowyer really showed some steel that evening Vinnie Jones was really trying to get at him, fair play he gave as good as he got! If he can get the boys playing with that spirit for the rest of the season!
  • Options

The museum will have a VHS copy of this game come the end of the week.

Dicky, wtf have you flagged this?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Wonderful match and completely not the usual Wimbledon bulldoze feeble Charlton affair. It was all about incisive football, poor defences and great finishing. Bowyer was utterly superb....one of the best individual performances I've seen from a Charlton player.

Sat in the main stand for the game. Only other time I was in there was as part of the "Top 30 (or was it 50?) away supporters 85-86" v Huddersfield 3-0. Free ticket for the lounge and a buffet. Also in there that day were Man in Black, Richard Birch, Steve Dixon, Dowman, Navy Paul, Paul Ellis and Martin (who used to refer to "Mark Hulyeree")
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Wonderful match and completely not the usual Wimbledon bulldoze feeble Charlton affair. It was all about incisive football, poor defences and great finishing. Bowyer was utterly superb....one of the best individual performances I've seen from a Charlton player.

Sat in the main stand for the game. Only other time I was in there was as part of the "Top 30 (or was it 50?) away supporters 85-86" v Huddersfield 3-0. Free ticket for the lounge and a buffet. Also in there that day were Man in Black, Richard Birch, Steve Dixon, Dowman, Navy Paul, Paul Ellis and Martin (who used to refer to "Mark Hulyeree"). John Humphrey and Jim Melrose came in for a chat after the game and as ever, Humph was great value.