Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

You tube or ITV?

edited September 2008 in Not Sports Related
you tube are parasites and live off the content of itv, quote from M Grade.

Is you tube that good, what would you rather watch or have access to.

Comments

• Options
    Of course youtube are parasites, I don't think they actually commission or make any content at all. I'm not convinced that they live off of itv though as I don't think they make anything that is worthy of putting on youtube. itv used to be the single most rubbish channel on British television. Now with the proliferation of digital channels it has four of the worst channels. They don't have enough quality programming to to fill one channel, let alone four. They never have done and I suspect they never will. Not so long as they always aim for the lowest common denominator.

As for youtube, it might contribute nothing to the industry, it might be full of snippets of other peoples programmes and shaky muffled mobile phone efforts, it may have dismal picture quality and need to buffer every few seconds, but it is still a million times better than itv.

I'd think MG would do well to get his own house in order, before using others as an excuse for bad business performance. Most people nowadays can watch complete shit on hundreds of channels. The days are long gone when itv had a monopoly on shit tv. If they are going to survive, they need to pare down their output to one channel and start using that for some quality programmes that will get people watching again. If they don't they will be indistinguishable from the majority of cheap and nasty digital stations that have nothing to offer but commercial airtime for companies who would be better served spending their media budgets elsewhere.

The truth is that the real competition for itv isn't YouTube, it's Google. That's where the advertising money is going, because that is a medium that is useful to people. itv serves no use other than to occasionally feel a sense of smugness that you are better than all of the sad northern dopes they put on the Jeremy Kyle show.

Stop whinging Michael and sort it out.
  • Options
    Ripping off other people's content to make money? Sounds like your average football website to me.

Google owns YouTube, happily for them.

There's a trade-off, of course, in that ITV stuff appearing on YouTube might prompt people to watch ITV and then buy the lovely products. If ITV shows were good enough for anyone to put them on YouTube, anyway.

Oh, and ITV's best show in recent years? Harry Hill's TV Burp, made up of TV made by other people... d'oh!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite] ITV's best show in recent years? Harry Hill's TV Burp, made up of TV made by other people... d'oh!

Nail on the head Inspector.
  • Options
    yeah , but still brilliantly funny !
  • Options
    Who even watches itv nowadays? it is nothing but a total chavfest from morning til night, their football coverage is barely worthy of the name,pretty much all of it is car crash tv of the pissiest kind!
    I have to totally agree with everything that Stig says, for all Youtube's short comings it urinates on itv from a distance, the one plus point regarding Itv is- at least they don't charge a dictatorial tax for their crap like BBC do, we are now paying BBC to make shows that itv would have made 15 years ago.
    When all is said and done the right honourable Mr Grade needs to attempt the near impossible and try and improve itv and worry less about Youtube.