Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Back in England after two years......

edited September 2008 in Not Sports Related
What would your priorities be (after the family stuff?)

I am gagging for a decent curry, a proper pub, a Pret sandwich & an away trip to Selhurst Park.

What else should I be adding to my list of things to do before heading back to the deep freeze?

What will i notice has changed?

Comments

• Options
    Dont go to Woolwich !!
  • Options
    Unfortunately after the initial exitement has worn off the first thing you'll see is the countries gone down the sh*tter.

The next thing is you'll wonder if you will ever come "home" again.
  • Options
    as for pubs mate id be quick shuting faster than DA9s wallet when its his shout !
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I can't disagree with any of the above :-(

Except Da9's wallet speed, I've never bought him a drink either. ;-)
  • Options
    Curry, real ale and as much PG Tips as you can get down you accompanied byt lots of hob nobs and bourbons. Get yourself some wine gums too.
  • Options
    I'm staying in deepest, darkest Kent with the in-laws - we have a cracking, traditional country pub lined up - I cannot wait. Gonna head over to Seasalter to The Sportsman as well - no CFL, no NFL, no NHL blaring at me from 36 screens like we get over here. The more I think about it, the more it's about The Pub!
  • Options
    I'd be bang on the Greasy-spoon.
  • Options
    A walk along the Thames, doesn't have to be far - say Waterloo to Shad Thames - to remind yourself you're in the best city in the world (after San Fran, New York, Sydney, Perth, Barcelona etc etc etc....doh!)...
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    CC much as im a proud "little Englander" and also a sarf londoner i would NOT suggest walking along the Thames in Woolwich day or night.
  • Options
    Pret Sandwich - YUK

Chunes has hit the nail on the head -
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I'm staying in deepest, darkest Kent with the in-laws - we have a cracking, traditional country pub lined up - I cannot wait. Gonna head over to Seasalter to The Sportsman as well - no CFL, no NFL, no NHL blaring at me from 36 screens like we get over here. The more I think about it, the more it's about The Pub!

Spend all the time in the pub mate - we both know there is no such thing as a pub in North America.

Where in Kent are you? I can recommend a few curry houses if you let me know your vicinity.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I'm staying in deepest, darkest Kent with the in-laws - we have a cracking, traditional country pub lined up - I cannot wait. Gonna head over to Seasalter to The Sportsman as well - no CFL, no NFL, no NHL blaring at me from 36 screens like we get over here. The more I think about it, the more it's about The Pub!

The Sportsman...great food of course, amongst the finest to be had anywhere in Kent, its more of a restaurant than a pub these days....you may bump into Bob Geldof from time to time...its a regular haunt of his.
    On the expensive side of course but go on treat yourself.
    I can recommend The Shipwrights Arms in Faversham too (not too far from Seasalter)....quite hard to find(even the locals have trouble directing you!) but its another great spot for food and a great selection of wines and beers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Charlie[/cite]A walk along the Thames, doesn't have to be far - say Waterloo to Shad Thames - to remind yourself you're in the best city in the world (after San Fran, New York, Sydney, Perth, Barcelona etc etc etc....doh!)...

Come on Charlie London is the best city in the world - 2nd is Vancouver FACT ;o)
  • Options
    Vancouver - I'm in the Tunbridge Wells area.

I'm also in Victoria/Vancouver for the best part of a week when i get back - Oct15th - 20th.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    T Wells...do you use The Beacon...that's another very nice pub/restaurant.
  • Options
    The Huntsman at Eridge is our local - i have been in The Beacon many a time though, used to work just round the corner

i'm not all that keen on T Wells - last time i was there it had gone super chavvy
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]i'm not all that keen on T Wells - last time i was there it had gone super chavvy

Welcome to the whole of Kent mate!
  • Options
    Ooooh Greesy Spoon is a great shout. WTF is it with the sausages in N.America?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Ooooh Greesy Spoon is a great shout. WTF is it with the sausages in N.America?

and the bacon...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]The Huntsman at Eridge is our local - i have been in The Beacon many a time though, used to work just round the corner

i'm not all that keen on T Wells - last time i was there it had gone super chavvy

ha ha - you're using super like a proper Canadian mate..........

The Swan at West Peckham is a good country pub and the Chaser in Shipbourne isn't bad either - They're not too far from Tunbridge Wells.

I'm in Victoria for a conference on the weekend of the 18th so if you're around we should head for beers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've lived abroad a few times over the years, first Holland then Germany and most recently Japan. I have to say that on occasions whenever I got back to England I've always gone straight for the things I could never get abroad, namely:

A decent fry up.

Real Ale.

A trip to the Valley, mid winter, evening kick off.

Bacon (although I was suprised to find a shop in the middle of Fukuoka that sold excellent bacon, it just wasn't quite the same).

You do end up missing the strangest things.. I had such a massive craving for pork scratchings that when my girlfriend came to visit me in Japan she smuggled them over for me. I took the to my local bar and the Japs loved them!
  • Options
    For me when I go home it's always a curry (best place in the world for 'em the UK IMO, forget India) then the following morning a slap up greasy spoon Full English with a copy of the Sunday Telegraph, with all the bits in it. Sod the diet.

This thread is officially making me homesick...
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Dont go to Woolwich !![/quote]

amongst others

Why come back your mad
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Charlie[/cite]A walk along the Thames, doesn't have to be far - say Waterloo to Shad Thames - to remind yourself you're in the best city in the world (after San Fran, New York, Sydney, Perth, Barcelona etc etc etc....doh!)...

Come on Charlie London is the best city in the world - 2nd is Vancouver FACT ;o)

London is the best city in the world, it's just "SOME" of the scum in it spoiling it for the rest of us.
  • Options
    Christ some of you are miserable old sods... London is a fantastic city, for all your doom and gloom it's very easy to move elsewhere, you should give somewhere else ago, it won't be long before you're missing certain aspects of London life

- Personally i'd miss the buildings, proper 100 year old tall buildings with character, just look around you in the city take it all in, fabulous.

- The boozers, proper boozers with exposed beams and open fires.

- The food, more michelin stars than any other city on the planet... if you don't fancy fine dining and feel free to call me a neaderthal, but i much prefer curries of the UK over those i've eaten in India, you also can't miss the the institution that is the greasy spoon, kebab shop & Pie and Mash

- Grab an expresso in Cafe Italia and watch some of the sights of Soho wander past

- Go along and wander around Harrods food hall and marvel as the rediculousness of a £100,000 dog kennel in the pet section

- Take a walk around the Street Markets of Camden, Greenwich & Notting Hill

- Stroll around the Tate, the Natural History Museum, Visit the South Bank, the London Dungeon, take a stroll over London Bridge

- Take a walk round one of the Royal parks

- Take afternoon tea at the Ritz

- See a gig at the O2

- take in the best view in London on the train going over the blackfriers bridge

- And Charlton there is always Charlton
  • Options
    For me...a steak and kidney pie.
  • Options
    And getting a copy of the Observer on a Sunday and not the European edition a day after it has been published.
  • Options
    Just getting to The Valley whenever I can, meeting my old Dad and sitting with him, watching him get excited giving the ref verbals!

There's loads of good bits of London - old cliche, it's not so much a City but a collection of towns and villages.

Love the art/culture, old architecture, Soho and the as yet unspoiled backwaters that seem to be forgotten - but which those that live there want to keep secret.

But perhaps it's the West End that I like really.
  • Options
    Oakster, having spent a whole 7 days away from these fine shores, i can categorically assure you that 4 pints at your local (standing at the bar, talking about football), followed by tucking into a large cod + chips, mountain of salt, Daddies sauce, pickled onion, mushy peas and two slices of thick white and butter, is a darn fine way to ease yourself back into the swing of things

:-)
  • Options
    Cna't beat a bit of the old community drinking spirit eh afka!