Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Theo Foley

edited September 2008 in General Charlton
Just saw him in upper Charlton geting his daily paper. If you ever get a chance have a chat with Theo. There arnt to many people that know London footie like he does and he is a really nice guy.

Comments

• Options
    agreed
  • Options
    One must assume that Theo is a pretty wealthy man, though to meet him you'd never know it. He still lives in a quite humble (ex Charlton) house(nice extension there though Theo!) over the other side of Shooters Hill when Chislehurst is well within his means....because, as he once told me, he has really fantastic neighbours.
    A very humble and likeable man, no airs and graces with our Theo....and as is well known, he has a real soft spot for The Addicks.
    If there's a game of football going on within a mile of Theo you can be sure he'll sniff it out and get along to watch...one of lifes real splendid characters.....it must be said his wife is a great lass too and you'll often find them out for a walk in Greenwich Park on Sunday mornings!
  • Options
    Certainly one of the great all time Arsenal coaches. Some say it was he who was behind the first George Graham title winning side

Still looking for a copy of his coaching book if anyone has a copy to sell.

and wouldn't mind the two shirts I paid for from his Charity match. They seemed to disappear somewhere although nothing to do with Theo : - (
  • Options
    I would hardly call Theo humble! If ever I have met a more "Don't you know who I am?" character then I've forgotten. Met him a few times, don't mind him but get fed up with him ramming down my throat where he has worked etc. Hardly a Keith Peacock or Derek Ufton, real CAFC legends who don't promote themselves in your face.
    Now please don't start me on Lennie Lawrence! Miserable sod!
  • Options
    He managed our Football Aid team twice, great laugh in the dressing room...ooo get me I sound like a footballer.
  • Options
    oi, Lennies okay.
  • Options
    oi GH you going soft. Hos arsenal connections and all that LOL

He is a great fella. Had him as our host when I won the VIP day at the valley. Was disappointed at first but he was top bloke especially with the kids as well.
  • Options
    Theo was my hero in the early 70z. Why?

Because he was a great Charlton player? Nope, late in his career, didn't make many appearances for us.

Legendary manager? Well, er.......not really.
    Saved us from relegation one season, guided us to relegation the next, before becalmed midtable in the Third Division in Pardew-esque fashion. His epitaph might be: his teams promised but hopelessly underachieved.

Why is he remembered? Because he treated your ordinary Charlton supporter as important.

He was conversational, humourous, took us into his confidence at away match venues, provided an endless stream of complimentary tickets at away matches for us regulars; would even drink with us. In short, he gave us his time with a warmth and generosity of spirit.

Looking back to those days, I'll always remember Theo as a thoroughly nice bloke.
  • Options
    bought killer and paddy and flash if I am right ?

thats more good than the last 3 managers have done combined ?
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I would hardly call Theo humble! If ever I have met a more "Don't you know who I am?" character then I've forgotten. Met him a few times, don't mind him but get fed up with him ramming down my throat where he has worked etc. Hardly a Keith Peacock or Derek Ufton, real CAFC legends who don't promote themselves in your face.
    Now please don't start me on Lennie Lawrence! Miserable sod!

Ha ha...good old Theo, he obviously sussed you out straight away as someone to wind up......ya dope..well done Theo!!
    He always was a good judge of character our Theo.