Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Penalty woe bewilders Pards

edited September 2008 in General Charlton
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/topsport/display.var.2446291.0.penalty_woe_bewilders_pards.php

Comments

• Options
    i watched this a few times yesterday and I think the ref got it right - * waits for the abuse*

Or I can certainly see why he gave it - Bailey had his studs showing - and refs are always going to give them as fouls now.
  • Options
    I only saw it on the Virgin clip ..... but it seems Bailey made contact after the Wolves player shot = late tackle = foul in the box = penalty.

What concerned me was that Bailey just dived in inside the area - every player at every level knows you can't do that.

Even if there's no actual contact, most refs not up with play will give a pen anyway, assuming contact was made.

What Bailey 'should' have done. was just throw his body in the way of the shot.
    No player contact and therefore no chance of conceding a pen.

Steve Brown was the master of the block.

Anyway, terrific strike from Bailey!
  • Options
    They took a quick free kick just outside the area (which from the other end of the pitch didn't look like a foul to me) and Bailey was the only one to react and try to stop the danger. Think it was a pen, but harsh to blame Bailey when the rest of the defence were asleep.
  • Options
    couldn't really tell 100% from the coverage but it looked harsh, almost like the bloke jumped up in the air well after the challenge, but Wolves were a cut above us for a lot of the match anyway.
  • Options
    how many of the Wolves fans or players a shouted , went up for a pen ? hardly any . the ref was total kak--------------------- when we get this mythical beast " a homer " ? more likely to get Homer Simpson at centre mid field !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite] more likely to get Homer Simpson at centre mid field !

Now that might be entertaining!
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight news shopper...
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Have to say I thought it was a pen at the time, it looked a very reckless lunge. Haven't had the chance to see it again though.

Agree with Pardew though I thought the the pull back on Gray looked a very good shout.