Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Gigs You've Been To

edited September 2008 in Not Sports Related
I keep looking at the thread about last gig but I just can't bring myself to tell anyone, so I thought I start a more positive one. What are the best gigs you've seen? For me:

Fad Gadget supported by Dead Can Dance at the Lyceum.
The Fall supported by (either Theatre of Hate or Spear of Destiny) and bizarrely, Gino Washington at the Lyceum.
The Smiths penultimate gig, Brixton.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2008
    difficult.. into so many differant kinds of music at differant stages of my life I really enjoyed genesis at the Lyceum about the time of the duke album , Had to cue overnight to see them at such a small venue.

Led Zep - Knebworth
    John Martyn - leeds folk fest
    Nick Cave - Birmingham Academy
    Joanna Newsom - Green man
  • Options
    De La Soul at the jazz cafe Jan 2007. They were immense in such a tiny venue, the crowd became part of the act, special.
  • Options
    Prince aftershow at the Dome, August last year - simply incredible.
    Ash at the Olympia Theatre in Dublin, December 2001 - right band, right place, right venue.
  • Options
    best ever was verve at hammersmith palais in 97 , incredible.

Embrace at the same venue about four years ago I think , Oasis at watford town hall about six years ago great to see them in such a small venue again
  • Options
    Oasis at Shepherds Bush in 2001.
  • Options
    With you on that Johny , went to that with a mate who was djing the aftershow . Got to admit the only Oasis gigs I've been to since probably sheffield arena in 95 that have been any good are the occasional small ones such as shepherds bush , watford or the coronet . Went to see them play paris with Neil young which was good , probably the reasn these gigs at the bigger venues in this country aint enjoyable is cos there are too many lads being lads and kicking off.

Going to see them at the eden project in a couple of weeks which I think will be a great vibe
  • Options
    The Sounds of Blackness at the Southport Weekender a few years back

made me cry it was so good
  • Options
    The second & last time I saw Oasis was at the Sheffield Arena in 1995 - Pulp were the support if i recall correctly.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Here are some i have been to in no particular order.

Oasis/shed 7 - new cross,the venue.
    Ash/Therapy/Joy Rider - Ulster civic hall new years eve late 90's, ash homecoming Belfast thankyou gig.
    Pere ubu - Chislehurst Caves
    The Cure/Joy Division - the marquee
    Cocteau Twins - the venue Victoria
    New Order - Heaven night club(under the arches at charing cross)
  • Options
    Flaming Lips and White Stripes new years eve gig in Chicago
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    U2 at the Lyceum in the Strand on their first main tour of the UK. The venue held less than 1000 people. Imagine the power of U2 in a small enclosed venue.

I'd heard of them but hadn't heard much of their stuff. The main reason was that my girlfriend at the time was a former girlfriend of Adam Clayton with whom she remained friend. She virtually grew up with them and used to watch them playing out doors in the centre of Dublin. I decided to get tickets as a surprise. The biggest surprise though for me was their music, it was just awesome and it completely blew me away.
  • Options
    U2 @ the rock garden covent garden was also a cracker.
  • Options
    oh my god....
    how can one possibly start (will reveal my age here)?
    Led Zep...Ally Pally, 5 times at Earls Court, twice at Knebworth. and the 02.
    Every Pink Faries gig I ever saw in all the dives around London.
    Lou Reed...Finsbury Park Rainbow
    Kate and Anna McGarrigal Fairfield Halls
    Arthur Brown at the OZ Police Ball
    Pink Floyd Dark Side Gig Wembly (with circular film screening)
    Albert Lee...some pub in North London
    Stones Knebworth
    Captain Beefheart Knebworth
    Bob Dylan Earls Court
    The Faces...Crystal Palace Concert Bowl
    The Who Streatham Locarno (sp?)
    Merger Blackbush (Dylans gig but he and clapton were a bit indulgent)
    no its not all the gigs I've ever been to....and I will probably remember more after I post this
    If I could go to something modern I would absolutely love to see Radiohead, and Kings of Leon, would love to catch Burning Spear....wish I'd seen Bob Marley
  • Options
    Or some more...

Bob Marley - Crystal Palace concert bowl
    Captain Beefheart - Victoria the venue
    The clash - Victoria park
    Black Uhuru - Rainbow Theatre
    The Birthday Party - the africa centre,covent garden
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Faith No More - three consecutive nights at Brixton
    Smashing Pumpkins - four consecutive nights at the Astoria
    (both of those mini-residencies were absolutely incredible)
    Carcass, Entombed, Cathedral & Confessor at the Astoria (same night)
    Obituary at the old Marquee
    Gravediggaz at Camden Palace
    Sepultura at the Amersham Arms in New Cross!
    Ice Cube at Brixton
    Metallica at Hammersmith Odeon on the Justice tour
    Slayer at Brixton on the Seasons In The Abyss tour
    Deftones at Brixton last time round
    Puressence at the Scala
    Will Haven at the LA2
    Kyuss at the LA2
    Foo Fighters at Brixton (twice)

Millions more, but they stand out
  • Options
    A few more:

Blancmange - The Gold Mine, Canvey Island
    The Fall - Crocs, Rayleigh
    The Three Johns - The Greyhound, Fulham
    The Human League - The Rainbow
    The Pogues (St Pats day) - Brixton
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Faith No More - three consecutive nights at Brixton

I got booted in the face by a crowd surfer on one of those nights Leroy. Wasn't you was it?
    ;o)

For me, Iron Maiden at Donington takes some beating. Mind you, can't really remember a lot of the gigs I went to when I was younger as I tended to get quite bladdered!
  • Options
    I saw Tom Petty play at The Vic, a small theatre, in Chicago - that would take some beating. After that, Joy Division at University of London, Splodgenessabounds at Greyhound, Fulham Palace Road, Roger Waters at Birmingham and Bruce Springsteen in front row at Wembley.
  • Options
    The first few that come to mind are The Hives in a club in Toronto, Franz Ferdinand in another club on the first North American tour and the first of the four night stand that Blur did at the Astoria...
  • Options
    I am probably close to a 1000 gigs in the last 25 years, but the on that stands out most was Arthue Lee at The Academy in Liverpool 1992. In recent years up until his death last year, he played umpteen times around the UK - but the 92 gig was his first in more than 20 years - of course Forever Changes had attained legendary status by then. Backed by Shack, it was an emotional & amazing gig in front of so many of the pop elite - McGee, Ian Brown, The Jesus & Mary Chain, Gillespie etc etc were all there in attendance.

An amazing night & late released as a live CD.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    U2 at Miton Keynes Bowl....pissed down
    Simple Minds at Wembley Arena
    Police at Wembley Arena
    Cold Play in Boston before they made it big in USA
    Bruce Springsteen at Wembley Stadium
  • Options
    Status Quo Ham Ode 1981
  • Options
    Been to lots over the years but highlights are:
    Boomtown Rats 197? in Newcastle City Hall
    Prince 2007 O2
    and
    4 Oclock Planes at the Hob in Forest Hill earlier this year
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Ibut I just can't bring myself to tell anyone,[/quote]

Go on tell, it will make you feel better to confess? Don't know you but after reading you went to see the Fall i suspect it was the Spice Girls
  • Options
    Sonic youth at reading 1995? Washing machine tour. They played The Diamond sea last and absolutley had the crowd in a trance. The stone roses came on after and everyone just kind of wandered off.
  • Options
    Mainly the PUNK era ;

Possibly Siouxsie & the Banshees at the Nashville Rooms in '78 .
  • Options
    Prodigy at Brixton Academy, must of been 96 or 97... The first hearing of 'Breathe' and can remember the floor downstairs collapsing mid way through the gig...
  • Options
    The Who - Royal Albert Hall 2000
    Queen - Knebworth '85
    Live Aid
    Springsteen - Leeds '85
    Floyd - Earls Court
    Roy Ayers - Ronnie Scotts
    ACDC - Wembley
    Police - Twickenham '07
  • Options
    Coldplay - Brixton Academy (2008)
    Simple Minds - London Arena (1995?)
    Prince - The O2 (2007)
    New Order - Brixton Academy (2001)
  • Options
    Simon and Garfunkel Hyde Park 2004. Added bonus of The Everley Brothers too.