Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

why do people rate Youga?

edited September 2008 in General Charlton
Have to say I am not a fan at all.

Right foot is woeful
Clearances rushed and often don't go clear
Positional sense is naive at best
Passing is atrocious
Crossing is shocking

Admittedly be is fast, fit and strong but I really think he is a weak link at the back

Comments

• Options
    Fast ? Can someone tell me when he hast took a player on,on the outside.He does he shimmie but he certainly doesn't go past a player.I think last year when we were strugglin his enthusiasm captured the fans imagination,now i think he flatters to deceive but that is just my opinion.
  • Options
    I have to agree really, I've seen him play well a couple of times, most particularly when he came into the side last season but I really don't think we can count on the guy. As you say his passing is not great but for me it's the concentration and judgement - i can honestly see him getting a couple of yellow cards in every single game we play. That last ditch tackle yesterday said it all for me. Yes he's quick, yes he can put a tackle in, but it was his lack of concentration and technique that led to that situation and he got a bit lucky throwing himself in, split second out and he's off again for the second time this season.

Having said that I wasn't sure about Cranie either!
  • Options
    agreed but I will give Cranie the benefit of the doubt as it was his first game but was he better than moo2 ?
  • Options
    had an awful game yesterday, along with many others..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]was he better than moo2 ?

doesn't offer anything going forward as he fancies himself more as a centre half and for me showed the kind of thing Moo2 does in defensive weakness, a bit hesitant, not great in the air, prone to a 10 second mind loss - so no, on that 90 minutes only I'd have our man back in working with Lloyd Sam again, which tore one of the division "favourites" to shreds.
  • Options
    Just said something similar on Addickted before seeing this.

Really haven't been impressed apart from a few good games when he came back in January. Makes mistakes and seems clumsy. Think it might be worth giving Basey a run at left back.
  • Options
    agreed Basey was a little shaky against Reading but offers a lot more.Yesterday we had Nicky Bailey taking corners surely his goal showed he was more of a threat on the edge of the box.Basey takes a good corner.
  • Options
    Basey wasn't fully fit against Reading. Youga looked really classy when he made his debut and on occasions since. His main problem to my mind is over-confidence. I feel that when he is found wanting during a game his confidence evaporates and he starts to look shaky. I would have replaced him with Basey at the start of the second half yesterday and I felt that when he was booked, Pards would drag him off because he looked capable of getting a second yellow. My feelings are, at the moment, if Basey is fully fit, to give him a run.

As for Cranie, I think he's just ring rusty and needs some games. Shame he had to make his debut against such a strong side. Give him a bit of time.
  • Options
    Spot on about Youga Bing, I tink he is hugely talented but lets him self down with over confidence, which pards should stamp on quickly, when he has 20 caps for France then he can start the showboating, but until then Keep it simple, stupid. Towards the end of the 1st half he did start making the simple pass and was much more effective in his distribution.
  • Options
    I prefer pilates myself...;_0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2008
    I rate Youga because he has all the tools to become an excellent player. He just doesn't always use them to best advantage yet.

Youga's arrogance is what I call a positive arrogance rather than the M Bent, J Thomas, Danny Murphy I'm too good to be playing in this team negative arrogance. Kelly will work hard all day long and is not afraid to try something. That attitude is to be encouraged in my opinion. He just needs a little bit of self-discipline to keep the card count down.

I like Basey too but Kelly has pace which Grant does not. Whether you like it or not these days a turn of pace is needed as a full back at the highest levels.
  • Options
    maybe Youga looks fast next to bassey ? i swear once after he came on running with a Wolves player his legs looked like he was Moonwalking ! Bassey is that slow.
  • Options
    I rate Youga from the following observations Ive made from behind the goal on many occasions.

Opposition player with the ball is heading towards our goal. Youga gets the ball off him or blocks a pass/cross.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    We could have (and are currently having on other threads) the same debate about many of our players - Sam, Moo2, Fortune, Cranie, Holland, Varney, Gray, Semedo...the list goes on.

Our current sqaud has lots of players with some great talent but also a lot of specific weaknesses. On a good day, they can be fantastic, but on a bad day, woeful.

It therefore surely rests on the shoulders of the management team to get them playing to each other's strengths whilst minimizing their weaknesses. Unfortunately it looks too much like it's left to chance on many occasions...

And back specifically on topic, much as i like Youga, he cannot take throw-ins for toffee. I'm better than that!
  • Options
    Youga seems to have changed a bit form last season. He is a bit more aggressive, harder in the tackle.

He was great at doing that "Chris Powell thing" at left back, holding the ball, wrong footing the attacking player and picking out a froward pass. This season he seems to have lost a bit of himself.
  • Options
    I like him. His hair is good and he has pace. Basey, for all his qualities, doesn't and for that reason he'll always have to give a few yards and not take risks.
  • Options
    Basey is a full on winger. He CAN play left back bet I love the way he can get forward. I still say, Youga and Basey on the left
  • Options
    Youga is great when on form. Drives the team forward, can run fast with the ball, overlap his winger and provide space (Bouazza will love him for that). Defensibly naive but quick enough to recover (yesterday was an example of that). However he seems to be a shadow of the player i've just described and the quicker Pards can get to the bottom of whats going on the better for the team and i suspect Kelly himself.
  • Options
    There is something going on that has affected Yougas' game.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]There is something going on that has affected Yougas' game.

It's called playing for Charlton! Seriously, how many players have left the Valley in recent seasons significantly better than when they arrived? Not many, only Benty and Young spring to mind for me.