Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is a "muffin"?

edited September 2008 in Not Sports Related
And don't say "a mule"!

In your mind is it

a) the round bread-like thing that you split, toast and coat in butter

or

b) the cake-like thing that comes in the blueberry and choc chip variety

For me it's a) all the way. The other things to me are "American muffins" and although the yanks call a) an "English muffin" they can just f*** off with that - the same way that football is real football and not that bastardisation of a game that they think it is.

Who's with me?

(PS. I'm "working from home" today - can you tell?)

Comments

• Options
    does 'home' mean 'pub'?
  • Options
    definitely a)
  • Options
    I know a 'muffin top' is the little (or large) roll of fat overhanging a low-waisted pair of jeans - usually found on younger women with bare midriffs!
  • Options
    Both for me, although I always view (a) as the poor man's crumpet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Both for me, although I always view (a) as the poor man's crumpet.

but surely a crumpet is a poor mans muffin?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Both for me, although I always view (a) as the poor man's crumpet.

but surely a crumpet is a poor mans muffin?

I agree, you can get blueberry or chocolate muffins but not blueberry or chocolate crumpets, although crumpets are superior when hot with real butter and steaming mug of tea.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]What is a "muffin"?
    I know ....

I know muffin
  • Options
    I make muffins for a living.
  • Options
    Frank Zappa knew....

The muffin man is seated at the table in the laboratory of the utility muffin
    Research kitchen...

and so on
  • Options
    In terms of tea time treats, the crumpet rules supreme in my view. Then comes the muffin (the (a) version). The teacake is a poor third. The US style muffin, which I often find tastes of plastic, does not qualify at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]In terms of tea time treats, the crumpet rules supreme in my view. Then comes the muffin (the (a) version). The teacake is a poor third. The US style muffin, which I often find tastes of plastic, does not qualify at all.[/quote]

You're having a laugh!

Without a doubt the crumpet is king at the breakfast table but come the afternoon, it's the chocolate chip (US style) muffin that reigns supreme in my book!!
  • Options
    But you can't put bacon in a crumpet. A Bacon muffin with brown sauce is breakfast heaven!
  • Options
    If you're going to throw bacon into the mix them I have to make you right....
  • Options
    The Muffin Men are one of the best bands about - and they are awesome musicians...

And to answer the question - I think it can be both, can't it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]In terms of tea time treats, the crumpet rules supreme in my view. Then comes the muffin (the (a) version). The teacake is a poor third. The US style muffin, which I often find tastes of plastic, does not qualify at all.

You're having a laugh!

Without a doubt the crumpet is king at the breakfast table but come the afternoon, it's the chocolate chip (US style) muffin that reigns supreme in my book!!

The US muffin is a breakfast good. The crumpet is an afternoon tea good. Having them any other way round is wrong, plain wrong.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    l like muffin my crumpet
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]But you can't put bacon in a crumpet. A Bacon muffin with brown sauce is breakfast heaven![/quote]

oh oh oh too right absolut breakfast bliss. See you cant do that with a US bastard Muffin...
  • Options
    Ross Noble explains http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtVG0BxsJpk