Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life Book Club

Comments

• Options
    I read one by Christopher Brookmyre once. Can't remember what it was called, but basically some crazy people started attacking the house in a Straw Dogs sort of way. Was an entertaining read.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Anyone read the Book Thief. picked it up last night. Seems good.[/quote]

Brilliant book
  • Options
    Rusty Young - Marching Powder..

Hunter S Thompson - The Rum Diary..

Blinding the pair of them...
  • Options
    A thousand splendid sunsets... life pre Mujhahaddin in Afghanistan and how two ladies go through life to present day. Covers the harrowing times of the extreme taliban. Harrowing letter at the end.

Andrew Marr history of Britain post war... what a mess we have been in!

Both excellent reads in very different ways
  • Options
    If it still in print look out for a book called "In search of the crac". If you was about in the late 70 early 80z its a must. True story of a guy who is down in his boot strapes , thinking of toping his-self and goes into a boozer on a Friday afternoon for a beer. Its full of Irish labourers off The Building and they see he is down and get him on the crac (spelt wrong and not some scummy drug either). He turns his whole life round , becomes very very wealthy due to punk rock etcetc.
  • Options
    Seeing Red- Graham Poll 200 pages to long couldnt wait for the end.
    Read Ghost before that, quite liked that.
  • Options
    Just read Richard Hammonds autobiography. The book deals at length with his 300mph car crash, that part is co-written by his wife. I enjoyed the book. An unspectacular life changed by an incredible event. An extremely lucky man, both in his cheating death and in the unconditional love of his wife.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]If it still in print look out for a book called "In search of the crac". If you was about in the late 70 early 80z its a must. True story of a guy who is down in his boot strapes , thinking of toping his-self and goes into a boozer on a Friday afternoon for a beer. Its full of Irish labourers off The Building and they see he is down and get him on the crac (spelt wrong and not some scummy drug either). He turns his whole life round , becomes very very wealthy due to punk rock etcetc.

read that a couple of years ago, well worth tracking down. Colin Irwin is the author
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Liked "IT" by Stephen KIng read it several times. The Clown figure is bassed on a real life serial killer called John Wayne Gassey. He killed at least 30 young men, and was chillingly a part time childrens entertainer-- a clown. If you ever see the pic of him in that dont tell me it isnt evil.

Stephen King once said we know horror fiction isnt real but why do we make sure the wardrobe doors are all closed before we go to sleep ? or why do we make sure our foot dosnt hang outside the bed at night ? There cant be anything in the wardrobe ----- or under the bed----------------------------------can there ???????
  • Options
    Just started Irving Welshs Crime - a bit dark to say the least.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Engleby -by Sebastian Faulks is a very good read as is -The Steep Slope To Garbdale by Iain Banks.
    Just started Ghost and its got my interest.
  • Options
    Just finished 'Renegade' by Mark E Smith of The Fall.

I like him a lot, takes no prisoners and pulls the best looking women. (They all fit into the 'I would' bracket) for such an ugly sod.

Loves him football (and drugs. and beer. and more drugs. and more beer)
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Used to the love the Fall, saw them years back at the Grand in Clapham 'on a school night' when I was still at school, remember being distincly pissed still in double maths the next day...
  • Options
    The Book Thief is a brilliant book Henry, really original with Death narrating and I like the indirect take on WWII and the holocaust - my daughter (12) really enjoyed it too.

Haven't read 1000 Splendid Suns yet but thought The Kite Runner was a fascinating read - just read The Bookseller of Kabul which although factual reads like a novel because of the way the characters are brought to life. I have a need to read more about Afhganistan now, so 1000 Splendid Suns won't be long off!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Vulcan 607 by Rowland White - Story of the Black Buck raids on Port Stanley.

Read that about a year ago. A cracking book, probably one of the best I've ever read.
  • Options
    "Last couple of weeks I've started reading the Christopher Brookmyre books in order (after reading a few out of sequence). They are absolutely fantastic, although potentially embaressing when reading on the tube and breaking into laughter (guaranteed to get you a few strange glances!!)."

I read all of Brookmyres stuff too. His early books are far better IMO but as you say still entertaining. If you like his stuff then, and if you haven't already discovered him, try Carl Hiaason. Brilliant holiday reading.
  • Options
    Just finished Jade Goody's autobiography. A wonderful insight into the turbulent life of one of our major celebrities. A most moving story.

I read Ghost too, enjoyed it. The film version is currently in pre-production.

When on holiday I always go back to Graham Greene.
  • Options
    Currently reading Tom Sharpe, wilt in nowhere.
  • Options
    Just finished "Razzle"....will start on "Fiesta" at lunchtime..
  • Options
    Read Innocent Man by John Grisham a little while ago, which is a true story about a bloke on Death Row, I would definitely recommend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Jade Goody...... one of our major celebrities.

Please stop, my sides hurt
  • Options
    carol sheilds,larrys party.
  • Options
    Slash's autobiography very good read. Loved the Guns.

Just finished The Distant Echo by Val McDermid, very good book. Read another one by her called The Last Temptation. Excellent writer have been trying to get my hands on anything else she's written.
  • Options
    The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins

Found the first half a bit too science heavy for my liking but loved the second half where he really starts dissecting religion.

Now I'm half way through:

Humanity: The Moral History of the Twentieth Century by Jonathan Glover

which is recommended in The God Delusion, I wouldn't exactly call it bed time reading, in fact it's down right depressing in places but it's seriously eye opening and strangely morbidly fascinating.
  • Options
    The Blind Watchmaker - Richard Dawkins - an explanation of the theory of evolution by means of natural selection.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]The Blind Watchmaker - Richard Dawkins - an explanation of the theory of evolution by means of natural selection.

I did enjoy that but I don't mind admitting that quite a bit of the hardcore science stuff goes over the top of my head a bit.
    I then find myself skipping the odd paragraph.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]

When on holiday I always go back to Graham Green.

Is it a nice village?
  • Options
    A book I read recently and can recommend is 'Incendiary' by Chris Cleave. The story takes the form of a letter written by a grieving woman to Osama Bin Laden following a suicide bombing at the Emirates Stadium. Unfortunately the book was released to the book shops the very same day as the 7/7 bombings and was pretty well pulled from the shelves. It has now been made into a film to be released later this year.
  • Options
    I'm reading The Gathering by Anne Enright.

A strange tale of an Irish family who come together to mourn a brother who committed suicide. It is a slow revelation but has been an interesting read.
  • Options
    The Book of General Ignorance. Basically its a collection of material from the QI tv programme. Some of my faves from this:
    - The Duke of Wellington played cricket for Ireland.
    - Roman emperors signalled for death by putting their thumbs up.
    - You are more likely to be killed by an asteroid than lightening.
    - Atoms are largely made of nothing. If one was scaled up to the size of a football stadium, its electrons would orbit around the top level of seating and would be smaller than pin heads; the nucleus would be pea-sized and sitting on the centre spot.
    - You can overpower a crocodile with an elastic band.
    - The number of the beast is really 616.
    - Alcoholic drinks that are lower than 4%, can be drunk to stave off dehydration!