Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 10th Sept 1976. Charlton 4 Luton Town 3

edited September 2008 in General Charlton
Friday 10th September 1976. The Valley. Att:9,191.

Charlton Athletic 4 (2) (Hales 26, 37, 60, Curtis (pen) 71). Luton Town 3 (1) (Deans 22, Aston 62, Hill 86).

Charlton: Wood, Hammond, Warman, Hunt, Giles, Curtis, Powell, Hales, Flanagan, T Young, Peacock. Unused sub: Berry.

Luton: Barber, Price, Buckley, Ryan, Faulkner, P Futcher, Husband (R Futcher 63), Hill, Deans, Fuccillo, Aston.

Penalty awarded against Paul Futcher when he handled a Hales shot.

Free-scoring Addicks: Although finishing 7th in the table, four points behind 3rd placed Forest, Charlton boasted the top 'Goals for' tally in the division.
The 52 home league goals were largely accounted for by Msrs Flanagan (23) and Hales (16).

Only two wins and 19 goals on the road made sure that promotion would have to wait a few more years.

Comments

• This was a great game and another game of goals with Luton, this time we scored the majority! I seem to remember Ricky Hill frightened the life out of me everytime he got the ball.

As for the team Jeff Wood had taken over the Keepers slot from Tutt after his terrible injury. Wood was underrated and made on of the greatest saves I have ever seen to keep us up against Orient in the followings season. Hammond was Pants. Bob Curtis had moved from RB to CB but he wasn't the greatest in that postion. Phil "Channel Ball" Warman was reasonably competent at LB going forward as he started his career as a winger but he was always vulnerable due to his lack of height. Jim Giles at CB was big hearted but somewhat agricultural. Peter Hunt, after a difficult start to his Charlton career, really made his name as a tough tackling box to box midfielder. Tony Young was average at best. The rest are legends.

This was a great season at home but I never felt at any stage that we were going to be promoted because as H&A shows, our away form was crap.
  • All three of Killers goals were headers, I think. A couple of years back someone at work met Peter Hunt, he was working as a car salesman in Basildon, I think he was originally from Essex, started at Southend. Good player in his day.

The away form in those days was totally abysmal, I spent many an afternoon listening to LBC as a promising start was followed by capitulation-Peter Burrowes would start optimistic and by twenty to five it was another obituary.
  • Always thought "farmer" Giles was underated ;
    thought him and David Young together wasn't 'too' bad.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Big William[/cite]The away form in those days was totally abysmal, I spent many an afternoon listening to LBC as a promising start was followed by capitulation-Peter Burrowes would start optimistic and by twenty to five it was another obituary.[/quote]

Me too, I was probably too young to understand the promotion thing and without the play-offs in those days, the pressure wasn't anywhere near as great. It was weird because I never went to the away games then (10 yrs old) so hardly ever saw us lose.
  • I thought Giles was pretty solid too......saw plenty of goals in those days against Luton...remember them tonking us 5-0 or 5-1 at home?
  • This was the week I passed my driving test and although I loved those Friday night games I can't for the life of me remember going to this one. Many cracking games at The Valley that season.

Mind you, 32 years, some of my hard drive must have been overwriten by now.
  • edited September 2008
    Why oh why did we sell Killer later that season? Who knows what could have happened had we kept him. We scored goals for fun before he left even though we let them in too!

Another thing. There was no problem back then getting to Friday evening games after work but now after 30 plus years "progress" there is.

I suppose the fact that many of us now live a lot further from The Valley is a contributory factor but somehow it was easier to leave work early back then too.
  • i know i must have been there , cant remember it at all.

Think this was the year we beat Southampton 6 v 2.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]i know i must have been there , cant remember it at all.

Think this was the year we beat Southampton 6 v 2.

it was. I remember thinking we were going to get promoted after the southampton game but Killer went soon after.
  • I don't remember the Luton game but the Southampton one brings back many many memories.

By the way I still lived in Brockley then.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]This was the week I passed my driving test and although I loved those Friday night games I can't for the life of me remember going to this one. Many cracking games at The Valley that season.

Mind you, 32 years, some of my hard drive must have been overwriten by now.

Me neither, I don't remember this at all
  • [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]saw plenty of goals in those days against Luton...remember them tonking us 5-0 or 5-1 at home?

Yeah Tel, what a depressing drive home that was.
  • old fogey alert old fogey alert
  • Yes that 6-2 thrashing of the Saints was full of incidence on and off the pitch....but thats another story!

Depressing is an understatement Bing!
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]old fogey alert old fogey alert

Lol!!
  • A great game that so few remember. Were you there?
  • Finches sports shop of Forest Hill used to video games back in the day, there is a goldmine of materialout there somewhere.
  • I was there. I kind of remember Killer scoring a hat trick, but not much else.
  • Yes was there - three headers from Deadly Derek the last an imperious one outjumping three defenders to nod in on the run a cross from Paddy.

Loved that season and think I saw one of our away wins if it was the year we won 2-1 at Hereford (2nd at Notts County last day of season). Marred by West Ham fans coming on the coach at a service station on the way home and nicking scarves and other memorabilia.
  • edited September 2013
    Pretty sure I would have been there as it was a Friday night game but can't be certain. Saturdays I would have been playing at that time. One of their scorers Aston ( if it was John? ) was ex Manure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Posted By: nth london addick
    old fogey alert old fogey alert
    Lol!!

4 yrs older alert
  • At last, one I can actually remember being at. The Killer hat trick sealed it for me.
  • I was there with my Dad.
    As a kid back then, those Friday evening games were something special. Great memories.
  • This was a great game and another game of goals with Luton, this time we scored the majority! I seem to remember Ricky Hill frightened the life out of me everytime he got the ball.

As for the team Jeff Wood had taken over the Keepers slot from Tutt after his terrible injury. Wood was underrated and made on of the greatest saves I have ever seen to keep us up against Orient in the followings season. Hammond was Pants. Bob Curtis had moved from RB to CB but he wasn't the greatest in that postion. Phil "Channel Ball" Warman was reasonably competent at LB going forward as he started his career as a winger but he was always vulnerable due to his lack of height. Jim Giles at CB was big hearted but somewhat agricultural. Peter Hunt, after a difficult start to his Charlton career, really made his name as a tough tackling box to box midfielder. Tony Young was average at best. The rest are legends.

This was a great season at home but I never felt at any stage that we were going to be promoted because as H&A shows, our away form was crap.

Off-topic, but thank God someone has mentioned that save of Wood's against Orient. I've read a lot about that game without anyone mentioning THAT save- I was starting to think I must have imagined it! Dived full-length to his right , and held on to the ball with his fingertips, right?

• Yes was there - three headers from Deadly Derek the last an imperious one outjumping three defenders to nod in on the run a cross from Paddy.

Loved that season and think I saw one of our away wins if it was the year we won 2-1 at Hereford (2nd at Notts County last day of season). Marred by West Ham fans coming on the coach at a service station on the way home and nicking scarves and other memorabilia.

Yes, only two away wins in 1976-77: at Hereford and Notts County. Amazing that with that dismal record we finished a creditable seventh, just four points off the third promotion slot. There was a run of 12 games from January to April when we scored just 10 goals; part of the reason was that Killer had been sold to Derby in November. One bright spot that season - we beat Millwall at home, 3-2 (Flanagan, Peacock (pen), McAuley).

• Was ay the Hereford away game: On the way back our car got stuck in traffic because either Queen or The Rolling Stones were playing at Hyde Park.
    Funny how you remember stupid things......
  • At that time our biggest weakness was our defence. I thought Warman was the pic. Giles was ok, but agricultural is a good description.
  • As usual the Programme can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/8594282509

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • A Killer hat-trick for the goal-scoring rip-roaring Addicks!