Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Three Players we need to play all season

Weaver
Hudson
Bailey

Interestingly, two of those players weren't with us last season and despite the fact that we had up to a dozen more players available to us then I'm struggling (apart from Weaver & Reidy who would be unlikely to play a full season anyway) to think of three who would have had such an influence on the Team.

Just goes to show - it's quality not quantity that matters.

The other aspect of restrcted purse strings is that it seems to have focused Pards mind on exactly what we need - for example, rather than signing every short term loan winger available (a la Cook, Sinclair etc) he seems to have settled for one decent season long addition in Bouazza.

Comments

• Weaver
    Varney
    And so far one of the new signings, too early to tell at the moment.
  • Varney
    Weaver
    Hudson
  • Hudson
    Bailey
    Varney
  • On that basis IMHO Varney's "too early to tell at the moment" - we can't have a forward who works his socks off but only gets 8 goals a season as that won't get us up. The ability is clearly there for Varney to get 20 plus but he will need to retain his confidence in order to achieve that.
  • lol - It looks like, if we had a vote, it would be FOUR we couldn't do without!
  • but varney has not been given a proper run. Given a run of 20 games he'll score in half of them GUARANTEED I'll put money on it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]On that basis IMHO Varney's "too early to tell at the moment" - we can't have a forward who works his socks off but only gets 8 goals a season as that won't get us up. The ability is clearly there for Varney to get 20 plus but he will need to retain his confidence in order to achieve that.

Last season, Varney started the season late after injury and always seemed to be playing catch up.

But if even if Varney himself only scored just 8 goals again this season - the way he plays opens up many opportunities for others to score, pens etc.

So, in that scenario, he would be the foil to a team mate scoring 20 goals a season.
    How bad is that?
  • Hope you're right Ledge as I have backed Varney at 110 (as well as Dickson at 120) on Betfair to be Top championship Goalscorer with an Antepost each way Lucky 15 on the following for each Division:

Yakubu @ 25/1
    Varney @ 50/1
    Forster @ 50/1
    McGleish @ 14/1

So I have very much a financial interest in the Varney boy doing well.

PS Knowing my luck Gray will probably end up winning it!
  • Just to be annoying, I would argue that if we are to have a successful season, we need to have 5 or 6 players playing week in week out.

Weaver
    Hudson Other centre back
    Bailey
    Gray Varney

A settled centre back partnership, and a settled striker partnership.

Obviously this is only valid when things are "clicking".
  • If there is any truth in the other thread about Primus for "Other centre back" read Fortune or last minute transfer deadline signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Weaver
    Holland
    Hudson
  • Oggy - I hear what you say about "opens up many opportunities" but that's very much the "Carl Leaburn" argument and I really would expect more than 8 goals from a forward for that player to be a fixture in the side.
  • Addict .......if the teams winning, Luke's the dangerman but others are racking up the goals from his play - then the manager and supporters alike won't be too worried.

Personally, I reckon Luke will get about 15 this season - but Andy Gray will be leading goalscorer with 20+.

That'll confound the critics!
  • we dont need 1 20 a season man if they get 30-35 between them.....im confident in gray, i think he'll be more effective then a lot of people realise. Adickt thats a shrewd bet.
  • thanks mark & given your & Oggy's comments re Gray I've just had a "saver" at 30+ on him.
  • Steady, Addict .......Gray's only Andy Gray, not Clive Mendonca .....!

But like Super Clive, Gray takes the penalties - so if Lukey and others are running at defenders in the box, Gray should score his fair share of penalties, maybe as many as 8-10 this season.

Add to that around a dozen open-play goals, then that's 20 goals a season.
  • Banks, Moore, Pele.
  • lol Oggy - other issue is that if any of them get too many "early doors" we might, in January, get an offer of a million plus for one of them which we might find irresistible!
  • Gray

Bailey

Weaver

and then if they get injured

Hudson

Holland

Varney
  • Bailey, Bailey and Bailey
  • Sponsored links:

• Paddy McCarthy at Palace. But for other reasons.
  • Why the constant addition of Weaver? I remember Elliot doing a job at Plymouth after Weaver was excused of his duties.
  • Hudson
    Bailey
    Mou2
  • Lloyd Sam

Okay, just winding you up.... ;o)
  • Thought of my answer before opening up the post - also:

Weaver (Elliot may be a good prospect, but experience counts for a lot in goal)
    Hudson
    Bailey

next would be Varney.

Interesting that nearly everyone (apart from silly Oggy) has gone for the spine of the team.
  • ditto weegie's comments and next after varney, gray
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Thought of my answer before opening up the post - also:

Weaver (Elliot may be a good prospect, but experience counts for a lot in goal)
    Hudson
    Bailey

next would be Varney.

Interesting that nearly everyone (apart from silly Oggy) has gone for the spine of the team.

Sorry about my flippant comment.

It was all said in the first few posts, 3 players we need to play all season and they are really always going to be the same 3 players, and always the strength and spine of the side. That makes even Varney dispensable.

Really, we need to keep a nucleus of 7 or 8 and, in our heart of hearts, those 7 or 8 will pick themselves also.
  • Know you were kidding, Oggy - you even said so!

Would be delighted if our Lloydy managed a good few good games this season too!
  • [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]Why the constant addition of Weaver? I remember Elliot doing a job at Plymouth after Weaver was excused of his duties.

Maybe because after Weaver and Elliot, we only have Callum Christie.

A strong spine is very important, something we haven't had for a few years.

Bailey especially is going to play a massive part, no real replacement if he gets injured.
  • nicky bailey and the other 2 triplets.