Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The buckets and pledging money to support the knife and gun -

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
crime.

Call me naive but why should the general public donate their hard earned cash for this serious law and order issue. Its those MP's and chief inspectors who were smiling and taking a 'look how good i am' photo oppotunity to sort out with tax payers money. Not through a charity fund !!!

Members of CAFC staff I guess they were members of the youth squad were butting into conversations with the bucket right in front of our noses. Not on Charlton in my eyes. Ok to have buckets out but not push it right in our faces.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think they were to support knife and gun crime.....

another point whilst I'm replying - the initiative is to raise awareness within schools using help and money from various companies and the public to support the cause - read the programme for more info regarding where money has been pledged from, and a few coppers in a bucket isn't going to make much difference! Its not just a one off bucket shaking initiative, its a programme that is already being rolled out in schools to show them that there is more to do than get involved in gun and knife crime and that football is one option of many.
  • Options
    Whoops typo Suzi sorry.

Not having a go at the scheme Suzi but you should ask yourself why companies and the general public through donations should pay for it through donations.
  • Options
    Good idea from the club to be involved better than some of the pc rubbish that we have in past. dont agree with the buckets and donations from the public,but well done to all those involved at the club for geting involved with something that matters in our area and for the kids/public.
  • Options
    the buckets and donations are only for people to donate if they see fit, and I know a lot of the dignatries that were invited to the launch on saturday actually enquired as to the amount the tickets/hospitality was costing and paid for their share. The reason there were so many police representatives was because the initiative is over Kent, Bexley, Greenwich boroughs and even comissioners of the met police, and not because they had nothing better to do on the streets. High profile dignatries were invited, and each one wrote to the club expressing their interest and support for the cause but because of the olympics they were unable to attend. including royalty, politicians etc.

I agree that those holding the buckets shouldn't have been rattling them at people, but so many people want to give money to causes like this, and its only giving people the opportunity to do so. I believe they made a lot of money in donations at the weekend in the buckets.
  • Options
    I think it's a great idea. Why should the state do everything? We live in this society, our kids are affected by what goes on, why sit around hoping somebody else does something? There is an education issue here and the Police cannot do it on their own. I applaud the club for engaging in this issue.

I've just made a donation on line.
  • Options
    Bing we pay taxes !!! Its not the working public's fault that our MP's cannot manage finances enough to fund an educational program at school regarding this issue.

Maybe if the educational establishment taught more about morals then we wouldnt be in the situation and maybe the people who carryout this crime never attended school reguarly.
  • Options
    The Voluntary sector, be it community groups or Football clubs have a role to play in delivering these kind of education/prevention schemes.

A major company is putting somethign back into it's community, and that is a good thing, if it changes one kid from carrying a knief and using it, then the campaign has worked.
  • Options
    Maybe they should target the fund raising for knife and gun crime in the communities that perpetrate it. See how many do gooders fancy rustling a tin outside the fridge on a friday night.
  • Options
    To be honest i dont think these kids give a sh*t but doing nothing is just that its doing nothing. At least the club has tried, and well done for that at least.
  • Options
    they don't goonerhater, that is why people need to get into the schools early to teach them that there is more to life than getting angry and taking away lives that they don't realise how precious lives are.
    instead of saying the kids don't give a s*it, how about getting to them and explaining to them that they should rather than just giving up? this is why these initiatives and others are set up.

santa> they are targetting it in the communities that perpetrate it - stabbings in sidcup, plumstead etc - on the road getting into schools and running roadshows all amongst the borough - thats what they are doing! You're missing the point. The idea isn't to rustle up money in these areas, its to raise awareness in the local areas as to what they are doing in the schools, and if people want to help out by donating then do so. standing outside an estate with a bucket asking for money is a rather dim way of looking at this positive measure imho.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Bing we pay taxes !!! Its not the working public's fault that our MP's cannot manage finances enough to fund an educational program at school regarding this issue.

Maybe if the educational establishment taught more about morals then we wouldnt be in the situation and maybe the people who carryout this crime never attended school reguarly.

I understand the point you're making, however people make the same comments about the "Friends" of Hospitals who raise money for equipment etc. The fact is that our society functions partly on money raised from taxes and partly from voluntary initatives. If you go down the route of "everything should be funded by the state", first of all they will fund what they want, secondly, they'll waste half of it, and thirdly we wont buy into what is done and then we'll just sit back moaning when what we want done doesn't happen.

From a parents', citizens' and fans' perspective this is an excellent inititative for our club to have embarked upon. I don't see any downside whatsoever.
  • Options
    I initialy thought why are they targeting us with this....and then of course the penny dropped that the poor lad was an Addick and that his parents were also attending....in the end it all made sense.
    As Goonerhater says......we are right to at least do something....though looking back to my teenage days I thought I knew it all and didn't want to hear anything from anyone re how I behaved or reacted to my fellow youth, so I fancy this won't amount to much, though yes you/we have to at least try.
  • Options
    Well there are plenty of stabbings going on in charlton so i think the club is right to try and up the ante.

I doubt it will help tho sadly but good on em.
  • Options
    Someone was shot on saturday night - Inverine road at 2.30am in Charlton. I think people are pretty much of the "head in the sand doesn't happen in my area" type opinion. Which I was myself till Jimmy Mizen (incidentally a Millwall fan) was killed in a bakers by glass on my road in Lee, and then Rob Knox, a Charlton fan, was killed in an argument about a mobile phone in Sidcup - where I am from. I didn't know either of these 2 boys, but feel a deep sadness that its getting closer and closer and more real by the week and unless initiatives like this are rolled out to try to tackle the behaviour then it will only get worse. I don't know the ins and outs of what is said when the coaches etc go into the schools to talk to kids, but you'd be surprised how much more impact a young guy in a charlton tracksuit talking to kids will have over a local policeman in a uniform.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]I agree that those holding the buckets shouldn't have been rattling them at people,

Why not? That bloody woman in red does every home game!!!
  • Options
    I gave up giving her money years ago.
    fair play to her though as she gives up an awful lot of her time to go around every pub in the whole borough every friday and saturday night - three times!
  • Options
    great initiative and good on the Club BUT I'm not giving my money to something that I pay my taxes for, both nationally and locally.
  • Options
    where did you get this shooting info from please suzie? that is next door to my sister. I didnt hear mention of it.
  • Options
    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/topstories/display.var.2428301.0.partygoer_shot_in_street.php

21 yr old shot and survived
  • Options
    saturday before, i missed it as didnt look back far enough.

scary. just got to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.