Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Roy Keane talking about McShane ?

totally agree with what he is saying though.

"You don't have to be 18 or 19 to go on loan, but it's a different animal we're dealing with these days. One or two players here have had opportunities over the last few weeks to go to very good clubs and play at a very good level, just to get games because one or two might have had injuries or whatever.

"There's no hidden agendas, but they said, 'Nah, nah'. Again, footballers are a strange breed these days. I thought I was strange, but I'm pretty normal, trust me. Footballers are changing -- I don't think some of them love the game as much as they should do. If you're a footballer, you need to play football. I think it's a sad reflection on the people themselves.''

Keane has allocated 44 squad numbers for this season and with more signings in the pipeline, he admits he is under pressure from chairman Niall Quinn and his controlling Drumaville group, plus chief executive Peter Walker, to "trim'' the wage bill.

He said: "In an ideal world, we need to move one or two on permanently and try to get some money back into the club, and get players off the wage bill. The chief executive, the chairman and owners of the club have constantly asked that and it's one thing getting players in, but you can't keep bringing players in on top of the players we've got -- we have a lot of professionals at the club.

"But some of the professionals have no intention of moving anywhere and they will be here until their contracts expire. One or two of them are going nowhere -- unless Real Madrid come in for them.

"One or two players would certainly be out of your plans, but I can guarantee they are going to see their contracts out.

"Some players don't love the game -- they just sit through their contracts. Every club will have two or three of them, and we're no different. We have two or three who have absolutely no intention of going anywhere.

"We need to trim. There are one or two players and I've spoken with managers over the last few days and there's progress being made. But there are one or two players here who have had opportunities to go on loan and they are very reluctant to do it.''

Comments

• Options
    Roy Keane - hated him as a person but respected his ability as a player, as a manager he speaks so much sense and is brilliant.
  • Options
    It all fits, and I couldn't agree more with WSS's comments. Everything he says is utterly on the money, which is amazing given how vile he often was, as a player.
  • Options
    Great player, and I quite his willingness to speak truth to power.

What he said to Mick McCarthy was brilliant
  • Options
    You should the Roy Keane autobiography and then you will see how much of a complete opiniated a$2e he is
  • Options
    I've read it, and at least he's got an opinion about things, rather read that then Curbs snoreahone
  • Options
    he's a bit of a "tinker" alroight.
  • Options
    My Orish friends say keen aint a tinker he is a "Knacker", which im told is a very very very low class pikey.
  • Options
    there is having an opinion Rothko then there is having your head stuck up your own ass
  • Options
    The only thing Roy Keane was guilty of as a professional ......... was being professional.

(Nearly!) everything he said and did as a player, was about winning.
    And (nearly!) everything he has said as a manager, is about winning.

His role model: Sir Alex Miserable Moaning Whingeing Git Ferguson.
    So no surprises there.

He had that mean, nasty (and sometimes viscious) streak as a player - but that made him hugely competitive, and a winner.

As a manager, he seems to have matured a lot - and in public at least, now seems to say more or less the right thing, more or less most of the time.

Even if he is a 'Knacker'.
  • Options
    Almost Oggy almost. Calling Macarthy an English c**t wasnt totaly right was it ? i mean a useless exMillwall c**t and he would have been 100% on the money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hmmm...we wouldn't have said no if he'd expressed a desire to play for Charlton, and I suspect if Pardew got the tin-tack and Keane was available I don't think you'll find many not wanting him to replace Pards. I always thought he was a player that the opposition and their fans loved to hate, while secretly wishing that he played for their team.
  • Options

CommentAuthorBlackForestReds
    * CommentTime6 minutes ago

Hmmm...we wouldn't have said no if he'd expressed a desire to play for Charlton, and I suspect if Pardew got the tin-tack and Keane was available I don't think you'll find many not wanting him to replace Pards. I always thought he was a player that the opposition and their fans loved to hate, while secretly wishing that he played for their team.

****************************************************************************************************

Bang. Nail. Head .......exactly, BFR.

And GH, in every minute of every match, somebody on the park is calling out to another player, "See you next Tuesday".
    So nothing new there and part of the game.

Where Knacker Keane broke the rules was doing it in public off the field.
    And the press just love that.
  • Options
    When Keane left Ireland's team camp Mick McCarthy called the players in, told them the news and there was as you'd expect a bit of a stunned silence, broken by Dean Kiely asking McCarthy that if he was looking for a midfield enforcer that he'd like to volunteer.
  • Options
    I started to agree with his comments, but then it's easy for him to say that when he was a highly paid player for a long time. Now if you're a championship player that went up with Sunderland probably got a new contract at that point on Prem money now a couple of years later surplus to requirements but have a year or two left on your contract. Are you going to drop down big-time in salary probably to a level that you naturally should be at, meaning you might never make Prem money again....what you going to do? I don't think players can take all the blame, the system as it is with Sky's money in the prem is the problem, all the time the gap financially between the bottom of the prem and the mid-top of Championship is so wide it's f**cked.
  • Options
    Classic case of poacher turned gamekeeper.
  • Options
    If he is talking about McShane then he doesn't sound like the type of player we want to be getting in, just got rid of a load of players with egos and attitude problems
  • Options
    Nug the issue Keane is complaining about is players refusing to goout on loan, normally they stay on the same wages (sometimes the owning club fund some or allof the wages). I can underestand players not wanting to drop wages, but not willing to play is something diiferent, Waggot implied John Fortune was a similar problem at Charlton.