Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hands up if the sight of our athletes on the podiums has got you

choked up every time?
I haven't felt so proud of British sporting achievement probably since I was a kid, (and that was when they still had chariot racing as an olympic discipline)
If ONLY our national football team appeared to care as much as our athletes do. But I think quite a few of the well known players have been shown up as the arrogant mercenaries they probably are, who are more concerned with their life styles, than with the true spirit of the sport they represent.
Our athletes have shown all the qualities that you could possibly want from sporting heroes, whether they have won gold,silver or bronze, made it to a final or taken part.
It has been a fantastic effort, and if there is a parade for them, then I will want to be there to salute their achievements.

Comments

• Its great stuff 3blokes, its nice hear the National Anthem and see it being sung, and not scream at the tv, sing you B*****ds!!
    and we`ve pi55ed off the Aussies, anyone see that on SSN. they dont like it "up um"
  • didnt see it what happened ?

In Keegans imortal words "id love it LOVE IT, if we finish above em"
  • I had no interest in the olympics but have slowly been sucked in till I am finding it all fascinating, even the sports I have no idea what the hell they are doing like cycling.

The only downer for me was the tennis. With the admission by Andrew Murray that he had not prepared, while it is the meaning of life for most participants, just look at Paula radcliffe, who I am not particularly fond of, but she worked through stress fractures, poisnous snake bites to get there, knowing that she was probably to going to reach her dream.
  • edited August 2008
    Perhap`s Mascot can give us the low down on how the Aussies are feeling at the moment, but the guy on Fox news was showing all sorts of league tables so they would be above us! :-)

To follow on from that London Tonight were showing the amount of volunteers it takes to help in running various parts of the games,i:e Directions, first aid that sort of thing, and my mind leapt to 2012 and all those " little eastenders" ....................... Look After Yer Car Mister!!!
  • to tell you the truth i thought i wouldn't be interested,however i had it on the radio everyday from 6.00am and feel so proud of every one of them.Quality loved in today when ohurougo beat the mouthy yank.
  • Been amazing
  • Yes indeed. It's been very emotional, the Olympics. When we win, the celebrations have been overwhelming, unlike in football were the scorer is more likely to be saying "Aren't I wonderful?"
  • Thought I wouldn't give a monkeys about the whole thing.

I was very wrong.

Witness me punching the air today after another gold medal. It's fantastic.
  • I'm proud to be British especially as I'm living in canuck land and they've won less medals than we've won Golds - Oh well I better rub it in now because Vancouver 2010 I doubt we'll win diddly
  • It's been brilliant - I'm so hooked that I get withdrawal symtoms overnight when it's not on.

Apparently the Aussies' latest riposte is that we can only win when we're sitting! (Ohuruogu's disproven that...)
  • Sponsored links:

• I started off not really interested, perhaps I thought there would be lots of failures and near misses like in the past. As the games have unfolded it has been really great to see. What is great, in things like the cycling and the rowing, is that for the first time in my memory we have developed an across the board winning mentality backed up my the most professional approach. Lots of money of course has produced this but why shouldn't a county as rich as ours spend some decent amounts of money on these kind of things?

What mustn't be allowed to happen now is to bask in this success and not realise that even more effort is required to sustain things for 2012. Even now we hear that there is no more money available for the games. The sports budget is under-funded by £100M as private sector support has not been forthcoming. So lets hope we can find the money. You can rest assured that the Aussies wont be at all happy at their poor showing in cycling (one medal) and will be planning their reposte in four years time.
  • All we've been getting is USA propoganda here......we've not been too good in track and field tho...
  • Wonderful stuff, not ashamed in the slightest to admit my eyes fill up every time.
  • sitting here watching open water swimming on the BBC iplayer.

I've never been so excited watching the olympics.

what a great effort it has been!
  • Hands up if the sight of our athletes on the podium has got you..............choked up?

Wasn't how I was feeling tbh, everytime Chris Hoy's been up there.............my, my, what a lovely fella he is ;-)
  • I was reading the Metro this morning about all of these medalists we've got, the effort and dedication they've put in, etc and feeling really proud.

Then as I worked my way in from the back page I came across the football - which has been relegated of the very back pages - and started reading about how John Terry had "bounced back", "shown character" and had been made England captain. Now, I quite like John Terry as a captain-type figure, but it got me thinking. What exactly had the fella - who's on £100k+ per week - actually had to "bounce back" from? What adversity has he overcome? Missing a penalty? Don't make me laugh!

I know it's been said many times before, but reading these different stories one after the other made me really appreciate that footballers - and indeed football people in general, from the mangers through to the reporters and those tits on MotD and Sky - are the bunch of overpaid, self-centred, out of touch with reality w*nkers that I always thought they were!

Bring on 2012. Can't wait to witness some of the dedication, enthusiasm and "never-say-die" attitude at first hand.
  • Somehing is definitely stirring as I sit here watching The Netherlands vs Argentina in women's hockey... ;-)
  • Did anyone hear about the girl who won 2 golds for us in the swimming. Apparently her local council in Mansfield are closing their swimming baths, so she'll now have to go to Nottingham or somewhere to train.
    Be interesting to see if that same local council jump on the bandwagon and show a sudden interest in swimming when she gets back home.
  • Off it, I couldn't agree more, thought exactly the same while reading the metro. I felt the same after the last 2 rugby world cups as well, trouble is we all get sucked back in with all the hype that football generates. Must say I am really excited for the games in 2012, so much so that I put my name down as a volunteer, not sure if it'll happen but what the hell, thought I'd give it a go.
  • Chris where did you hear that? They are actually renaming the local baths after her. And anyway she doesnt train in her local baths. I think she trains in Nottingham anyway where the national squad trainxs.

LOL Killers Sis at Chris Hoy!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Kbs Sis he aint no good that Hoy fella rides bikes

mind you a guy with all that bling on some women eh some women