Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

£688,000

The money the club spent on agents fees last season... sounds staggering to me given the fact that before bailey came in we didn't seem to have a dime (and that was only possible because we've halved the wage bill and got Bougherra, Bent and Iwelumo out)

We were third in the Championship list

Still Leicester spent £1.6M and Stoke over £1M too ... could be worse!

Comments

• Options
    you got the full list Isaw ?

what was the period, because we did move a lot in and out last summer
  • Options
    Was on skysports news as a feature on football league money issues AFKA, they only showed the overall total spent and the Top 3 in the Championship and then the top clubs in Leagues 1 and 2 (Leeds and MK Dons respectively) so no full list or internet link... i'll have a look for something
  • Options
    how many players did we sign last season? 11? And how many did we move out? 6 or 7?

I would guess that overseas deals require agents more then a transfer to or from Southend for example
  • Options
    Updated:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-514369/Charlton-capitals-Football-League-spenders-agents-fees-7-9m.html

This article dated 14th Feb 08 puts our figure at £782,305 and the time frame would include the relegation summer of ins and outs

Looks like that £688k figure is either below par, or a reflection say from the start of the season proper
  • Options
    Henry, no doubting what you say but in the club's current position, with Murray talking about administration in the paper last week etc. I'm just staggered that we are routinely spending around the £700,000 a year mark on agents... maybe that's the going rate, I don't know, I wouldn't say I'm overly informed in this area, it just seems a lot to me for a club that is supposed to be cutting its cloth accordingly and letting mark robson and the tea lady go
  • Options
    Trouble is you want to move players, you have to pay the agents fee. Think of it like VAT!

Thats not to say i agree with it, but you can't do anything without paying it
  • Options
    *puts on 'I blame Andrew Mills' t-shirt*
  • Options
    edit: figures from July 2007-June 2008 period
  • Options
    What I can never understand is why clubs pay the agents fees when it is they players they are acting for?
  • Options
    No different to a recruitment consultant in the real world though BDL... they charge 20% ish of a salary
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "What I can never understand is why clubs pay the agents fees when it is they players they are acting for?"

Because the twats who run football let it happen that way. It's utter bollocks isn't it Bar Door!
  • Options
    I've posted on here before about agents fees and the murky world of who exactly they are supposed to be acting for on these issues and how they and the clubs seem to have scant regard for both the FA and FIFA rules and regulations. (Both Newcastle and Birmingham are currently heavilly embroiled in cases concerning the tax implications of such arrangements - very enlightening if you ever have the time to read what the tribunals/courts say about it all.)

The bottom line is that it's all about money, of course. If you want a player in/out then you will likely have to grease a few palms to help achieve that - otherwise you may lose out to someone who is prepared to do that. In days gone by it was wads of cash in brown paper envelopes being handed over at motorway service stations. Now it's got a facade of legitimacy in the guise of agents fees. It still stinks though.
  • Options
    CommentAuthorT CommentTime6 minutes ago
    No different to a recruitment consultant in the real world though BDL... they charge 20% ish of a salary

The difference there though is that it's quite clear who the recruitment agent is working for. Sure you may put your name on their books and they may be trying to place you, but ultimately they are working for the employer in filling a post.

With football you have the bizarre situation where a players agent, who is signed up and engaged to represent the players interests, negotiate on his behalf, etc then also becomes engaged by the employer - the club - to help secure the players services, either as a new signing or signing a new contract, etc.

It's crazy. If that's not a conflict of interests then I don't know what is - and it is expressly prohibited by both FA and FIFA regulations - but it still goes on. Of course the agent is laughing all the way to the bank as he gets paid by both sides. Crazy crazy crazy!
  • Options
    "No different to a recruitment consultant in the real world though BDL... they charge 20% ish of a salary"

Can't agree with that T, totally different. If I want Fred Bloggs to work for me, and I approach him directly I don't expect some other bloke to turn up expecting a wedge of money just because he happens to know Fred Bloggs as well.

If on the other hand I approach "some other bloke" to find Fred Bloggs for me, I expect to pay him for his efforts.

In football the team knows what player they want, and go out and get him, then suddenly this slime ball in a suit turns up and whether you want to deal with him or not, muscles his way into the deal. The players are too thick to realise that these blokes are just parasites, and that they could actually live without them. But of course the way it works the player thinks that he is a winner because the club pays the agent, not him; it does not enter that little brain of theirs that the money the agent is getting may well have gone into their pocket had the agent not been there in the first place...
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Isaw says it's figures from July 2007-June 2008 period, which doesn't apply truly to us as a Championship club but covers our last Premiership season.

So think of the players we bought (and borrowed, don't forget - we pay a loan transfee fee, too) in that last Premiership season plus signings like Luke Varney, even if the transfer hadn't then been fully completed.

PS: Did it include any agents fees for Charlton Life signings for The Valley Demelza match, which fell within the qualifying period?

AFKA, you might have plenty to answer for .....???

;o)