Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pards : Bailey and Sinclair

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
seeing as we have been tracking Bailey for some time we obviously were watching him the same time as Sinclair was playing for Barnet. So how did Pards get the wrong man last year ? We paid 125k for Sinclair whom when leaves we are unlikely to recoup more than 50k for whilst at the same time now paying over double for a player we could have got for 175k last year. I know that this is a simplistic view, I know that we possibly havn't paid 125k yet for Sinclair, maybe not even nowhere near, and I know that Bailey has proved last year that he could do it a step up from Barnet but this does bring into question Pards judgement on players.

Comments

• Options
    Pards always buys players on the principle that if he signs as many as he can,
    he's bound to strike lucky with one or two - Nigel Reo-Cockup, for example.
  • Options
    Large come on mate, this is all pure conjecture on your part....and anyway Pardew has scouts and spotters out and about who advise him...exactly when did he start getting good reports re Bailey?...You don't know that anymorethan the rest of us...and certainly not with sufficient knowledge to then somehow turn it all around put a whole lot of spin on it and actually attempt to make Pardew look bad out of the situation....come off it matey...come on be positive FFS we've got our man haven't we let's be happy with that....your sounding just a little like reames here if I may so!
  • Options
    can't see how any of what I posted is conjecture, we paid 125k for Sinclair, Southend paid 175k for Bailey, they were in the same Barnet side, Sinclair is pants, Bailey is our new Kinsella who we could have had last summer for less. I did say too that I know that this was a simplistic view. I'm not trying to make Pards look bad, I actually like Pards and wouldn't want him to leave as I hope/believe that his scattergun approach to signings will pay off. As for comparing me to Reams, please !!!
  • Options
    Maybe we were after him but Bailey wanted his "dream" move to Southend ;-)
  • Options
    Was Bailey deemed to be better than Sinclair at the time?

I suspect that had we bought Bailey at that time from Barnet, he would have gone the same way as Sinclair. In that he would have been farmed out on loan for experience or stuck in the reserves.

As it is, Bailey has had a full season tucked under his belt at a level that was one step up from before and excelled. Sinclair jumped an extra level and it appears has been found wanting. Had Bailey done the same, would it have been to anyones benefit?

Now I doubt that Pardew or anyone else is claiming to have known that in advance, but let's just be happy for what will hopefuly turn out to be a bit of serendipity shall we.
  • Options
    Odd critique. As KB notes, Bailey got a full year of first team action with the Shrimpers and excelled. Who would Bailey have played in front of at Charlton?
  • Options
    http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=42322

Southend fans' perspective.
  • Options
    maybe Pards realises that Sinclair needs Bailey alongside him to shine and is going to play the pair of them at Watford.

That's the rumour I'm starting anyway. You heard it here first.