Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sky HD

just a heads-up. If anyone is HD ready and was thinking of upgrading to SkyHD it is just £75 for the box at the moment in Currys for both new and existing Sky customers until 30th September.

Comments

• Options
    TT
    edited August 2008
    thanks for flagging this up Large, the SKy+ box is starting to play up and was wondering about upgrading, is it still £10 extra on the subscription for HD?
  • Options
    Got it last week - £75 plus £30 install - Haven't watched any footie yet but the cricket and golf were great!

Do a search on digital spys forums to get it direct from Sky.
  • Options
    yes they charge £10 extra if you have the hd subscription, however you can still get bbc hd without and I think possible channel 4
  • Options
    Does this replace the Sky+ box or do you get a second box?
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    replace I think. Sky are probably pushing HD as part of a sales drive. I hear their sales have improved despite the economic conditions, perhaps people are staying in more cos of petrol prices... alternatively they may be clearing stock for a new model - I am not sure if they are going Full HD yet (1080p - currently only 1080i/720p).

The HD boxes are better than the old sky plus, particularly the more recent models which seem more reliable.
  • Options
    Any linkys for this? I can only find the standard £150 job on the Sky site...
  • Options
    ring Sky on 01506 421825 and select options 1 then 4 then 5 then 3 then 4 and after a ten minute wait just say you want to take up the £75 HD offer and BINGO !! You can only use this number, normal sales dept don't have this offer. Just done mine, it's a breeze !!
  • Options
    ring Sky on 01506 421825 and select options 1 then 4 then 5 then 3 then 4 and after a ten minute wait just say you want to take up the £75 HD offer and BINGO !! You can only use this number, normal sales dept don't have this offer. Just done mine, it's a breeze !!
  • Options
  • Options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
  • Options
    Do you have to ring 5 times to get it large? ;-)

Do they take the money there and then or just take it off my next bill?
  • Options
    don't know what happened there !! I pay by DD so I think they take it there.
  • Options
    Talking about Sky generally (i just have standard box about 5 or 6 years old), my picture over the last 4 months has suddenly got worse - it often breaks up during the footie (did so last Sun during the N forest game) or freezes or even disappears to a blue screen saying no signal.

Any ideas why this should suddenly happen when i have not changed anything. Do the sat dishes need replacing after a while?? When i spoke to Sky they were not really interested!!
  • Options
    Sky probably not interested as they'd rather you upgrade to SKY+ or HD. Mine is at least six years old and ocassionally it 'hangs'. If so just unplug from wall, leave unplugged for 3 minutes, plug back in and should be okay. I've had a HD ready TV for a year but always baulked at charge for HD box but for £75 it's a no brainer.
  • Options
    Hardy - they've probably dropped the strength of the standard signal to allow them to broadcast the HD (hence the fact they're not interested in hearing about it). A weaker signal is also more susceptible to the weather conditions.
  • Options
    they probably insist you sign up for the £10 (per month for a year) thing to get the £75 upgrade so I would check the terms and conditions.
  • Options
    Razil, why would you upgrade to an HD box without the £10 pm subscription ? All you'd get is BBC HD wouldn't you ? To get the best from the HD box you'd need the subscription otherwise why bother.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    if you had an old unit that needed replacing for example, £75 is a very reasonable on that basis. I mostly watch HD on BBC and Ch4 despite having the HD subs.I think you get a bigger hard drive and sky anytime (although I think you get this on sky plus too) and its a more reliable box as I think I said earlier.
  • Options
    your signal is degrading because
    a) your dish is starting to go
    b) the LNB is knackered - the thing on the dish that picks up the sat signal from the dish
    c) the coax form the LNB to your sky box is kaput - get water in this and its bad news

any one of the above three is more likely to show up in bad weather conditions

Sky do not degrade the SD signal for the sake of the HD signal

All HD boxes are basically SKy+ boxes with HD on them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm having a nightmare with this, I live in a flat so you get put through to an outside company who say they only charge £299 for the new box. However they said if I had my own box I could install it myself and ring sky to get the subscription upgraded. If I go to Curry's can I just pay the £75 there and then and walk out with a HD box in my hand?
  • Options
    think the box will arrive with the man from Sky when he comes to set it all up. Could ask though.
  • Options
    Redarmy- do you already have sky in the flat? do you have your own dish?
  • Options
    thanks for your comments.

fatkit - the problems usually occur when the weather is worse but not always. As the picture is fine 80% of the time i dont think its the box so the 3 things you mention sound possible. If it is one of these things, is it best to get an independent local installer to come out and check/replace items rather than go via Sky??
  • Options
    Have a couple of mates that work for Sky and they are always up for private jobs ;o) whisper me if anyone wants their numbers
  • Options
    if you are moving from standard sky to sky plus/hd you will need a dish upgrade thingy to quad band.

I am pretty sure low priority SD channels don't get as much bandwidth as others
  • Options
    Dish upgrade? Not quite... you just need a new LNB fitted to the dish, to provide the two inputs for HD... if you already have Sky+, you don't need to do anything other than take the Sky+ box out and put the Sky HD box in it's place...
  • Options
    er I think I said if you are moving from standard sky to sky plus/hd you will need a dish upgrade thingy to quad band..

and not to split hairs.. yes the lnb is attached to the dish, thats enough aint it... but for avoidance of doubt I concur.

:D
  • Options
    It's like you saying your whole bathroom needs redecorating because one tile has fallen off...

;-)
  • Options
    Hardy, best whisper Glass Half Empty