Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Top Five Songs of..... Elton John

Part something or other of the occasional series

This week the Pinner Popster himself

5. Saturday Night's Alright for fighting - "I'm the juvenile product of the working class whose best friend floats in the bottom of a glass"

4. Are you Ready for Love - Philly Soul from one of GBs best soul singers

3. Tiny Dancer - Worth watching "Almost Famous" just for the scene when they are singing along to this on the tour bus

2. Levon - Just a beautiful Song

1. Someone Saved my Life Last Night - " Almost had your hooks in didn't you dear, hypnotised and alter bound"

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Top twenty would be easier. Top five more difficult

5. Daniel - "I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain" Just a great song

4. Candle in the WInd - "From the young man in the 22nd row, who sees you as something as more than sexual, more than just our Marilyn Monroe " The song just makes me cry

3. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - " Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad - Oh I've finally decided my future lies beyond the yellow brick road" The lyrics have always fascinated me, especially in the way he sings them.

2. Your Song - "yours are the sweetest eyes I've ever seen" There's poetry in them there lyrics

1. Someone Saved My Life Tonight - "prima donna lord you really should have been there, sitting like a princess perched in her electric chair" - One of my most favourite songs ever from a great great album
  • Options
    Not much of a fan, but I've always quite liked "Rocket Man" myself.
  • Options
    Probably the most over-rated singer / songwriter of all time.

His best song is probably 'Come on Watford' I reckon.
  • Options
    Mustn't forget that all of the lyrics that I quoted were written by Bernie Taupin. Shame you don't like him Jimmy. Still there are millions of people who have voted with their wallets and bought his music who would almost certainly disagree with you.
  • Options
    You're right Bing - The old dear absolutely loves him - My old man hates him.

The fact he doesn't write his own songs brings him down in my estimation but he's got a pretty decent voice I suppose.
  • Options
    Much more into Billy Joel myself (pre 1983)... However, cannot fault:

5. I'm Still Standing........ Embarassing I know, but reminds me of being about 12 years old
    4. Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding....... Pomposity at it's best
    3. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road........ Beautiful song
    2. Bennie And The Jetsssssssssssssss....... Unique! Never grow bored of that song
    1. Someone Saved My Life Tonight........ STUNNING
  • Options
    Can't say I'm an Elton fan however his music seems to strike well with a lot of people.

From DJ'ing and listening to pub juke boxes I will say five songs of his that I don't dislike if that makes sense

1) Crocodile Rock
    2) Saturday nights alright for fighting
    3) I guess thats why they call it the blues
    4) Your song - my first manager as a 17 year old for my first pub team died half way through the season and this was played at his funeral
    5) I'm still standing - not sure why but it offends me less than ABBA's back catalogue
  • Options
    For goodness sake give it a rest please.
  • Options
    The circle of life..
  • Options
    I've worked a couple of Eltons concerts over the years and first saw him playing keyboards for(I think it was John Mayalls Blues Breakers) back in the mid sixties in The Glenlyn Ball Rooms in Forest Hill.
    Great artist who served his apprentiship...doesn't feature that much in my record collection.....but go and see him live he's a fantastic showman and performer.
    Odd character it must be said(bit of a deva of course!) but you can't take it away from him, he writes a very very good song and goes way back to when you had to sink or swim...and credit where it's due, he's still swimming after all these years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I guess that's why they call it the blues - video filmed in the Rivoli Ballroom, Brockley
    Sorry seems to be the hardest word
    Your song
    I've seen that movie too
    Tiny dancer
  • Options
    The wife likes Elton rather more than I do but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed his gig at The Valley a couple of years back.
  • Options
    Tresor Kandol in the Wind.
  • Options
    Sacrifice anyone ?
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]3. Tiny Dancer - Worth watching "Almost Famous" just for the scene when they are singing along to this on the tour bus

When they have just had the massive row over the teeshirts? one of my top films of all time..

AlmostFamousBigPic.jpg
  • Options
    Certainly one of the best rock movies and one of the best coming of age movies too.
  • Options
    Blue jean baby, L.A. lady, seamstress for the band
    Pretty eyed, pirate smile, you'll marry a music man
    Ballerina, you must have seen her dancing in the sand
    And now she's in me, always with me, tiny dancer in my hand
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMo7CA27zjQ

For the youth
  • Options
    Crocodile Rock and ... errr .... that's it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]For the youth

You is so street...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was on Soccer AM

This is the bit from Almost Famous. Fantastic stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qn3tel9FWU
  • Options
    missed this list originally.........chance now to give my top 5:

I don't wanna go on with you like that
    bennie & the jets
    blue eyes
    I guess thats why they call it the blues
    daniel
  • Options
    Brown dirt cowboy
  • Options
    He's been on BBC4, he was 'kin good. Cracking songs and although I'm not musical seems quite good on the old joanna.
  • Options
    Jesus freaks, out in the streets, handing tickets out for God.......
  • Options
    Rocket man and many more. Loads of naff material but still a legend.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
  • Options
    Er... Some kn
  • Options

1. Someone Saved My Life Tonight (They didn't though, I decided to get engaged around the time this came out!)
    2. Ticking - (From the Caribou album)
    3. High Flying Bird - (From Don't Shoot Me.... album)
    4. Skyline Pigeon
    5. Tiny Dancer

• Options
    We have it on video from about 15 yrs ago of my father-in-law (proper posh,stiff upper lip) ratarsed and singing crocodile rock and using a banana as a mic
    He still goes red when we mention it!

1/ Rocket Man
    2/ Candle in the wind
    3/ Yellow brick road