Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Amended thread- John 'Buck' Ryan- Life support switched off

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
Sadly John passed away tonight. He suffered a heart attack a few days ago and had been in intensive care since. He is perhaps best remembered by the older Charlton fans for his two goals in our famous 7-6 win over Huddersfield, when he scored two of the goals. My condolences to his family and friends.

Comments

• What a sad loss. True Charlton legend. RIP.
  • Another Hero lost.
    RIP.
  • sad day i was fortunate to meet him at the game last season

RIP
  • edited August 2008
    I've dropped a note into Johnny Summers Juniors house in Catford this evening to let him know.Though he's not an Addick, I'm certain John realises the bond between his dad, Charlton and Buck as a result of that gloriously memorable day back in 1957.
    RIP Buck!
  • Sad news indeed. An important figure in arguably the most famous moment in our history as a club.

He looked as though he really enjoyed dribbling the ball to the Covered End goal back in December and the reaction of the fans. In the light of what has happened it is some consolation he had that moment.

RIP
  • very Sad
    R.I.P
  • RIP

Wish I could have had the privilege of seeing him play.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I've dropped a note into Johnny Summers Juniors house in Catford this evening to let him know.Though he's not an Addick, I'm certain John realises the bond between his dad, Charlton and Buck as a result of that gloriously memorable day back in 1957.
    RIP Buck!

RIP Buck.

SoundAs - is JS son seriously not an Addick? What's all that about?
  • Very sad news even if it was half to be expected.

As one of those Addicks brought up on stories of Big Sam, crowds of 70,000 and the 7 - 6 game Buck Ryan was a legend of my childhood.

And 32 goals in 64 league games mean it wasn't just a father's romancing of the good old days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Very sad news on the eve of a new season. Condolences to his family & friends.
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I've dropped a note into Johnny Summers Juniors house in Catford this evening to let him know.Though he's not an Addick, I'm certain John realises the bond between his dad, Charlton and Buck as a result of that gloriously memorable day back in 1957.
    RIP Buck!

RIP Buck.

Morning Algarve....you may know that John joined us from The Spanners...I think you know what I'm going to say next don't you!
    I was best mates with John Jnr for some years from the age of about 10 to 15 back in the late fifties early sixties, we lived a few minutes walk from each other in Catford and we went to the same school, Catford Boys (back in the days when it was a good school), John was in the year above me.
    I was often in and out of his house and in fact after his dad died he came on holiday with my family to San Sebastian to visit my relatives there...those were in the days long before Spain became a big tourist destination....it was fantastic!
    I keep in touch with John from time to time and indeed (if I say so myself), it was me that persuaded him to 'lend' the 7-6 match ball to the club...he's very proud of his dad and was only 13 going on 14 when he so tragicly died....John was a lovely quiet mannered unasuming 'cockney gentleman'...as you can imagine being an Addick from the tender age of 9 I idolised him.He used to catch the 75 bus to and from The Valley every day to train and I assume on match days too I wouldn't wonder.....no car for him...things were very very different in those days!
    The house in Catford was originaly a Millwall house and Charlton bought it from them and rented it to John as part of the transfer agreement so he didn't have to uproot himself and his family.Later when John died the club gave the house to Johns wife Betty. Some years later she married Alex Jardine (Millwall and Scotland), sadly Alex then died too and Betty lived there alone until she in turn died some years back, John now lives back there again with his wife, having owned another house in Verdant Lane, Catford.He works in the print.
    Although John is something of a Spanner he hasn't been to see them since they left the old Den.
    This will make you laugh...or cringe as the case may be...John Juniors elder son is also a commited Spanner and goes to every game...he's also a traffic warden...you couldn't make it up!!!
    He's a nice enough chap though as far as I can tell.
  • edited August 2008
    Correct story on O/S

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=32675

(I've amended this thread in view of the O/S article)

Sadly of course the original thread title will become accurate.. :-(
  • Thanks for that SoundAs, interesting story, I used to be a paper rep, so may have even bumped into John at some point without realising.

Typical though, I remember working with a bloke years ago who supported Liverpool or Man Utd because his grandad played for them. Found out sometime later that he played for them twice, but made about 300 odd appearances for Stockport or someone similar... but decided to ignore that.

One of our greatest players, and his offspring decide to remain loyal to their roots.
  • all still so sad
  • If the life support system has been switched off then it's a matter of time, hopefully we can honour him today with a win.
  • lovely story Soundas,
    obviously never saw Buck or J.S. play.
    what would they be worth in todays market ?
    RIP
  • http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=32674

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Rest in peace legend
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I've dropped a note into Johnny Summers Juniors house in Catford this evening to let him know.Though he's not an Addick, I'm certain John realises the bond between his dad, Charlton and Buck as a result of that gloriously memorable day back in 1957.
    RIP Buck!

RIP Buck.

Morning Algarve....you may know that John joined us from The Spanners...I think you know what I'm going to say next don't you!
    I was best mates with John Jnr for some years from the age of about 10 to 15 back in the late fifties early sixties, we lived a few minutes walk from each other in Catford and we went to the same school, Catford Boys (back in the days when it was a good school), John was in the year above me.
    I was often in and out of his house and in fact after his dad died he came on holiday with my family to San Sebastian to visit my relatives there...those were in the days long before Spain became a big tourist destination....it was fantastic!
    I keep in touch with John from time to time and indeed (if I say so myself), it was me that persuaded him to 'lend' the 7-6 match ball to the club...he's very proud of his dad and was only 13 going on 14 when he so tragicly died....John was a lovely quiet mannered unasuming 'cockney gentleman'...as you can imagine being an Addick from the tender age of 9 I idolised him.He used to catch the 75 bus to and from The Valley every day to train and I assume on match days too I wouldn't wonder.....no car for him...things were very very different in those days!
    The house in Catford was originaly a Millwall house and Charlton bought it from them and rented it to John as part of the transfer agreement so he didn't have to uproot himself and his family.Later when John died the club gave the house to Johns wife Betty. Some years later she married Alex Jardine (Millwall and Scotland), sadly Alex then died too and Betty lived there alone until she in turn died some years back, John now lives back there again with his wife, having owned another house in Verdant Lane, Catford.He works in the print.
    Although John is something of a Spanner he hasn't been to see them since they left the old Den.
    This will make you laugh...or cringe as the case may be...John Juniors elder son is also a commited Spanner and goes to every game...he's also a traffic warden...you couldn't make it up!!!
    He's a nice enough chap though as far as I can tell.
    Worth a read.
  • I have just seen this thread for the first time.

I was lucky enough to see both Buck and Summers play and remember that team from those bygone days. I was at the 7-6 game and if I remember rightly, Buck scored the winning goal as the Winter mists began to fall. Pandemoniem broke out at the final whistle when a large section of the joyous home supporters ran on the pitch to praise their players.

Unforgettable.

Late but, RIP Buck