Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Broadstairs

edited August 2008 in Not Sports Related
Went there yesterday afternoon

complete change to what i see in Southend the other week lovely and clean people walking the beach cleaning up and emptying bins very nice day out
Stayed for the fireworks on the beach after we went in and had masses of ice cream would recommend the fireworks to anyone
9.45 every weds night amazing they the best i have seen in years great sitting on the beach watching them

Masses of youth around all Goths and Emo's and you know what despite the booze flowing they were there to have fun unlike the scenes you get when you see groups of youths locally.Weird seeing large groups pass each other without out giving looks and saying what you looking at blud etc etc

They messed around but not enough to annoy anyone else on the beach the stewards asked them to move they moved without any verbal.

Leaving there late night all in high spirits but no rows no fighting all just having a laugh and walking off home.

Amazing if only London could be the same, but no come home to find out there was another shooting.

Comments

• Options
    Broadstairs is lovely. But just have a look at some of the youth in Margate and Ramsgate!
  • Options
    if you get a chance Hythe is also a good place some nice pubs and good walk along to Sandgate
  • Options
    Top secret tip drive thru broadstairs and go to Joss Bay, stunning half mile of gold sand, no arcades no fun fairs, clean beach, one food out let for tea coffe chips ect and one shop for the kids, can hire a wind break umbrealla and a deckchair 6 quid for the whole day!! weve been going there since i was born its stunning, check it out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Top secret tip drive thru broadstairs and go to Joss Bay, stunning half mile of gold sand, no arcades no fun fairs, clean beach, one food out let for tea coffe chips ect and one shop for the kids, can hire a wind break umbrealla and a deckchair 6 quid for the whole day!! weve been going there since i was born its stunning, check it out.

exactly what I was about to recommend! There's also a pub/restaurant at the top of the cliff called Captain Digby's... well worth a visit for dinner and a pint...
  • Options
    I used to go to Joss Bay a lot as a young man.
    Happy days. Nice place
  • Options
    Joss Bay is where I was always take the kids.

Pity there's nowhere to stay there.

Best beach on South coast by a mile.
  • Options
    Mrs Spectacle's sister lives between Cliftonville and Margate and they took us to Captain Digby's a few months ago when we were down there - probably the best all round pub on Thanet. Good view of the sea and beach plus Bleak House. Also has great food, kids play area and nice beer.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Went there yesterday afternoon

complete change to what i see in Southend [/quote]

The difference between Essex and Kent miles!!!
  • Options
    I lived in Broadstairs for 18 years until I left for London. My parents both still live in the same house I was raised in. The wife and I moved back down to Kent about 20 miles from Broadstairs so that I could travel into London and also be nearer my parents which allows them to see their grand children more. leftbehind wrote about the violence in London which is exactly the reason why I would not raise a child in the capital now. Broadstairs is great for children in the summer with plenty to do. In fact I've just returned from Broadstairs an hour ago. The only down side of it is Westwood shopping centre which is not great and has increased the traffic around the island greatly.
  • Options
    Broadstairs is an island?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Broadstairs is on the Isle of Thanet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/content/articles/2006/05/15/thanet_history_feature.shtml
  • Options
    interesting - i never knew that
  • Options
    My mum and dad went on their honeymoon to Broadstairs - might have to take them down there when I'm back in the UK for the palarse game.
  • Options
    dymchurch is another great kent coastal resort espescialy for kids
  • Options
    Yes I really like Broadstairs too,although havent been for years. Thanks for the Joss Bay tip,look forward to checking it out.
  • Options
    Every UK summer holiday I had as a kid was in Broadstairs - used to stay in the same hotel as well. Loved it - but went back a few years ago and it was truly dire. In its defence, I seem to have gone during a period when therer were, for some reason, thousands of pikeys there, but it definitely soured me on the place.
  • Options
    Going by this thread every time I go down to Joss Bay I must be surrounded by fellow addicks.

A really nice place, and the food/beer in the Captain Digby is just what you need after a hard day digging sandcastles!
  • Options
    Spent the last week in and around the area staying in Sandwich - Walpole Bay (Great with inflatable boats) - Botany Bay - Joss Bay probably like the most (like the surfing theme!). Broadstairs is very civilised too - Even Ramsgate is strating to gentrify (a bit).

They are building a new road up by Westwood cross not surre what difference it will make.
  • Options
    Ramsgate has been the place to buy in Kent for the last few years, due to train times being sliced from two hours to a commutable 84 minutes when the domestic trains on the Channel Tunnel Rail Link come into operation late next year. It also has a very successful harbour and the best architecture on the Isle, if you like that sort of thing, even if the airport and the ferry are a bit hit and miss. They are building luxury flats on the Pleasurama site on the front later this year (albeit about four years behind schedule), which appear to be attracting a lot of interest from commuters.

It does turn a bit Bexleyheath in the evening, but so does Broadstairs.

Westwood Cross isn't Bluewater, but before it opened people living in Thanet went to Canterbury for their major shopping expeditions - now people from round the immediate coast come to Thanet. It's recently acquired a multi-screen cinema and a clutch of new restaurants. There's also significant investment going on in Thanet Earth (giant greenhouses for fruit and veg) and other industrial projects.

Oh yes, and Ramsgate, Broadstairs and Margate are also home to quite a lot of Charlton supporters . . .
  • Options
    My family come from East Kent. Orginally from Ashford but in the late 19th Century from St Peters (next to Broadstairs), then Sandwich. As a kid with relatives living in the area, I spent alot of time in and around Broadstairs. I really liked the place.