Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thunderbolt of lightening very, very frightening

edited August 2008 in Not Sports Related
To any other saddos who love thunder storms the one giving Medway the good news at the moment is a cracker.

Except it's broke my sky digital!!

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]To any other saddos who love thunder storms the one giving Medway the good news at the moment is a cracker.

Except it's broke my sky digital!!

yeah, mine's gone down in Barnehurst. Good job I've got Freeview too. Pretty spectacular though.
  • Options
    screwed up my sky right when i was in the middle of Die Hard 4.

Thankfully it was also on Anytime, so panic over !
  • Options
    Had to venture out to pick up children at various locations, stunning visual lightning display. Apparently knackered the sky while I was out, but as I wasn't there, who cares. :-)
  • Options
    I was a storm and a half. I was watching it from our loftroom.

It was then fun watching idiot boy racers drive through our flooded road two fast only for their lowered lawnmowers to give out in the middle of the foot deep pond that forms when we have a bunch of rain, there is nothing like a good bit of schadenfreude to top off the evening.
  • Options
    good view of it all driving over Blackheath last night.
  • Options
    Nothing in Bromley???
    Don't know what all the fuss is about!
  • Options
    Me and Mum sat on the front step last night - watching it in the distance getting closer - it was great... It was cooler than sitting inside as the storm approached there was a nice breeze....

We also lost Sky at about 10:30 last night when the storm was right on top of us - then lost Freeview too! - So had to wacth Anytime TV...

Hasn't cleared the air today though... still muggy!

:o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Nothing in Bromley???
    Don't know what all the fuss is about!
    What are you talking about? It was like world war 3 from 9pm onwards! At one point it was completely silent, we most of been in the middle of it.

The sky also turned an eerie red and I swear one of the bolts must of struck something.
  • Options
    I live near Bromley Court Hotel and honestly apart from a few distant lightening flashes there was nothing to report FOD!
  • Options
    Sunny Sydenham must have been lost somewhere in the space/time vortex.
    Nothing to report here. (nothing new then !).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nice light show with a few distant rumbles of thunder down here in ye olde Eltham
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I live near Bromley Court Hotel and honestly apart from a few distant lightening flashes there was nothing to report FOD!
    I live where the distance flashes where!
  • Options
    Got stuck for 30 mins o/s Woolwich Dockyard on a train last night, as the lightning had knacked the signals at Slade Green.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: FOD[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I live near Bromley Court Hotel and honestly apart from a few distant lightening flashes there was nothing to report FOD!

It was a cracking storm about 6 to 7 miles away from me in Bromley. Huge lightening flashes and very loud and prolonged rumbles of thunder.

Soundas, put YOUR HEARING AID IN! : - )

Science question

What's the difference between Thunder and Lightening?
  • Options
    not sure, but both "very very frightening !!".
  • Options
    Are they not both the same thing, I may be wrong but I'm sure I've heard that somewhere. It's just that light travels faster than sound so you see the lightening before you hear the thunder?
  • Options
    I was asleep by the time it hit Sittingbourne, but I definitely wasnt asleep when it came through. Never heard anything like it.

FOD - thought you lived in Orpington?
  • Options
    I was driving back from Devon last night - first saw the storm over Salisbury Plain (nowt more dramatic than driving past Stonehenge and seeing lightning flashing over it!) - followed it all the way up the A303 and it was still at it when i hit the M25 at Staines. Got to be the largest one I've ever seen in this country - although strangely I never drove through any rain!
  • Options
    It pi$$ed it down in Redhill, loads of thunder and lightning too. Then it stopped in my street, so I looked out the window and the storm had moved over Redhill town centre, so I could see the storm again :0)
  • Options
    I was in the Crown & Anchor in Bromley, it was certainly in the middle of it there!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: FOD[/cite]

It was a cracking storm about 6 to 7 miles away from me in Bromley. Huge lightening flashes and very loud and prolonged rumbles of thunder.

Soundas, put YOUR HEARING AID IN! : - )

Science question

What's the difference between Thunder and Lightening?

I hope you are joking.....
  • Options
    one is God passing wind and the other is God throwing stuff at Celtic supporters.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: red_murph[/cite]I was in the Crown & Anchor in Bromley, it was certainly in the middle of it there!
    Is that still a fag bar?

Yeah, I'm more towards Orpington Medders.
  • Options
    It was great watching bolts of lightning over The Valley last night, the west stand was lit up more than on a matchday on occasions. Maybe some form of divine intervention has now taken place around the hallowed space that will see us defy all expectations and romp to Championship glory.

Or maybe it was just chucking down...
  • Options
    FOD, thankfully not mate.

A really decent boozer now fella. Completely done up and has a decent landlord & manager.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Are they not both the same thing, I may be wrong but I'm sure I've heard that somewhere. It's just that light travels faster than sound so you see the lightening before you hear the thunder?

My compadre is correct. I was looking at it on wikipedia earlier. Apparently it's one km per 4.6 seconds.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Are they not both the same thing, I may be wrong but I'm sure I've heard that somewhere. It's just that light travels faster than sound so you see the lightening before you hear the thunder?

My compadre is correct. I was looking at it on wikipedia earlier. Apparently it's one km per 4.6 seconds.

Who said I never learnt anything at Woolwich Poly!?
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: red_murph[/cite]FOD, thankfully not mate.

A really decent boozer now fella. Completely done up and has a decent landlord & manager.
    Have you tried the Red Lion? That's a great little pub, I will have to try the crown and anchor again. Last time we only had 1 quick pint ha ha!
  • Options
    Ofsted.
  • Options
    FOD mate, I live just round the corner from it.

Red Lion is a proper pub, very good ales and a dart board to boot. Crown & Anchor has been done up very well inside, very family friendly in the day and a nice mixed crowd (with none of the Bromley yoof) in the evenings.