Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Website design/hosting - Your recommendations. . .

Have to set up a website for my company and wondered if anyone could recommend someone locally?

Cheers.

Comments

• Its pretty easy nowadays to build your own. I used www.moonfruit.com to do mine and Im certainly no expert.

www.talkinginwhispers.com
  • I haven't the time I'm afraid, would rather pay someone! (ie:lazy b'stard)
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]I haven't the time I'm afraid, would rather pay someone! (ie:lazy b'stard)
    Where's Reams when you need him? ;-p lol
  • Drop Hillsys up a whisper mate, he is the man who can with that sort of thing
  • Bloke who did mine is very good at meta tagging, gets us as number one on Google without paying a bean...drop me a whisper if youre interested
  • I don't have a clue but can you send me a whisper anyway ?
  • Depeends on how much you want to spend and what you're after really. Can reccommend a couple of very good agencies
  • Try 1&1, I do my works website, Bishop Ridleys church site and Bishop Ridley Primary schools site.
    No more than £150 a year!
  • This is what I do day in day out, I'm not sure exactly what you need but I'm more than happy to offer some free advice.

We deal with small sites, site's with updatable content, shopping carts / e-commerce, company re-branding, hosting and more.

Here's some recent sites we've done.

http://www.RudeChalets.com

http://www.King-Apparel.com

http://www.Caroline-Zoob.co.uk

Cheers.
  • I was thinking of moving my website to squarespace hosting who are located in the USA and obviously I'm based in London!

Does anyone know if it matters where the web hosting is located, in terms of functionality etc.,?

Any feedback appreciated.
  • Sponsored links:

• Use Squarespace and can't fault it. The support is excellent 
  • I was thinking of moving my website to squarespace hosting who are located in the USA and obviously I'm based in London!

Does anyone know if it matters where the web hosting is located, in terms of functionality etc.,?

Makes no difference as fair as I'm aware!
  • This is a bookmark
  • Squarespace always sorted out our problems pretty quickly

Do they have a data center based in the UK or Europe?
    Where are the majority of your customers based?

The answers could determine loading times of your website. That's without getting into the optimising of your website for general speed etc.

My advice is to select a provider based on the location of the majority of your customers.
  • Squarespace is excellent. I can build a site on there in a few hours that would’ve taken months of planning and bullshit meetings at my old job. 

I used Hostgator when i developed my recent website, and they are in the States . Very good, and no issue them being in US and me in SA.
    Used Wordpress to develop the site, which ,apparently is the goto software now to develop websites- found it a bit cumbersome , but got there in the end, and site looks reasonable.
  • johnny73 said:
    I was thinking of moving my website to squarespace hosting who are located in the USA and obviously I'm based in London!

Do they have a data center based in the UK or Europe?
    Where are the majority of your customers based?

The answers could determine loading times of your website. That's without getting into the optimising of your website for general speed etc.

My advice is to select a provider based on the location of the majority of your customers.
    From the impression I get, could be wrong, it doesn't matter where the host is, providing the website loads quickly and all it's functions and associated links work, which based on the fact that a number of UK companies use Squarespace would suggest they are compatible.

• Thanks for all the feedback,  much appreciated.
  • For my wedding photography business, I've been using https://www.onlinepictureproof.com/ for the last two years and they've been excellent.
    Any support query is answered within a couple of hours.

If you want to see what it looks like all set up, check out https://www.johndriscollphotography.co.uk/

Their SEO support is second to none, which is critical for getting you seen in the searches.  Pointless you sitting there on page 128 of a search term on Google or Bing.

Honourable mention for Squarespace too.  My wife and brother both use it to good effect.
  • Sponsored links:

• @JohnBoyUK - I’m trying to drum up some wedding video work, don’t suppose you can advise on how I can get some leads? 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    @JohnBoyUK - I’m trying to drum up some wedding video work, don’t suppose you can advise on how I can get some leads? 
    Well I can stick you on my website as my recommended videographer!  Other than that, its just hammering the marketing on social media, try and get in on some wedding fayres, drop business cards & flyers into places where brides will see them.  You need to be relentless.  No point in doing it half-hearted.  I was told before I started its 20% photography, 80% business skilss and they were bloody right.  In the last two years, I've read more on business practices and marketing than I have on photography techniques and I'm still bang average at it but I keep on plugging away!

Drop me a PM with some details :)
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    @JohnBoyUK - I’m trying to drum up some wedding video work, don’t suppose you can advise on how I can get some leads? 
    Well I can stick you on my website as my recommended videographer!  Other than that, its just hammering the marketing on social media, try and get in on some wedding fayres, drop business cards & flyers into places where brides will see them.  You need to be relentless.  No point in doing it half-hearted.  I was told before I started its 20% photography, 80% business skilss and they were bloody right.  In the last two years, I've read more on business practices and marketing than I have on photography techniques and I'm still bang average at it but I keep on plugging away!

JB, any recommendations on what to read about business practices and marketing !?
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

JB, any recommendations on what to read about business practices and marketing !?
    All the stuff I've read is focused directly at photography.
    I'm halfway through reading 'How to win friends and influence people' by Dale Carnegie.  Was recommended it years ago when I was doing a post-grad management course but never got around to reading it.  Its quite dry and very old in style but the principles are good.

The main to brush up on though is your SEO.  Thats Search Engine Optimisation for those not in the know.  Get that right and you're onto a winner.
  • Squarespace, Wix, Weebly or Shopify if you want eCommerce are pretty amazing and powerful enough for 80% of all websites on the web.

They are putting a lot of web agencies out of business and one of the reasons i moved out of that game many years ago.

All those companies charging £50k for a brochure website just cant get away with it any more.
  • Squarespace, Wix, Weebly or Shopify if you want eCommerce are pretty amazing and powerful enough for 80% of all websites on the web.

They are putting a lot of web agencies out of business and one of the reasons i moved out of that game many years ago.

All those companies charging £50k for a brochure website just cant get away with it any more.
    I bought Dreamweaver with the intention of learning and building my own bespoke site. 

But as you say, there seem to be so many companies that can offer good templates, that it seems like such a hassle and not really worth the time and energy using Dreamweaver!

There are some prominent "dropshippers" who reckon Squarespace is no good for selling, but I can't see why as it is all there to be used on the Dashboard. I'd recommend Squarespace to anyone.

I've heard good things about Wordpress too

I bought Dreamweaver with the intention of learning and building my own bespoke site. 

But as you say, there seem to be so many companies that can offer good templates, that it seems like such a hassle and not really worth the time and energy using Dreamweaver!
    Ah Dreamweaver.  They were the days.  I was fairly proficient with HTML, Java and Visual Basic and I loved Dreamweaver, being able to create web pages, online forms feeding straight into a database and all that.  Until 12 months ago, the entirety of our office intranet was down to my Dreamweaver skills but then we were railroaded into using the Institution-wide CMS.  Looks rubbish and is a PITA to use.  Thank god I've handed it over to someone else to look after now.

There are some prominent "dropshippers" who reckon Squarespace is no good for selling, but I can't see why as it is all there to be used on the Dashboard. I'd recommend Squarespace to anyone.

Not the biggest fan of Wordpress - it's quite buggy and has a lot of security flaws. That said, if you know what you're doing it's pretty powerful.

Dropshippers are full of shit. There are more plugins etc available for Shopify, but Squarespace looks nicer and is fine for 99% of people

Not the biggest fan of Wordpress - it's quite buggy and has a lot of security flaws. That said, if you know what you're doing it's pretty powerful.

Dropshippers are full of shit. There are more plugins etc available for Shopify, but Squarespace looks nicer and is fine for 99% of people
    Totally agree