Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Day off 4 England ?

Some peeps have been asking for a public holiday re St Georges Day. I think even if the will was there from HM Gov(there isnt) the fact that St Gs Day is in April makes this a no no. It falls smack bang in the midle of Easter and the two May bank hols.
Soooooooooo how about a day in October for England ? In the month of October you had The Battle of Hastings (and the death of the last true English King), Agincourt was fought in October and so was Trafalgar(death of the greatest Englishman ever ?). As our last Bank Hol is in August it would also bridge that long period until Xmas.
Thoughs ? any chance ? with the Jock mafia in charge could we get one ?

Comments

• Options
    We have only 4 national holidays excluding Christmas and Easter as opposed to say Belgium who have 12.

In that 12 most are religious, however they do have a National Day to celebrate the birth of the nation, (the equvelant of our St. Georges Day) and Armistice Day to celebrate the end of the war and remember those who fought for our freedom, (we have Remembrance Sunday).

I personally think it's a scandal that we don't do the same, but I don't see it changing anytime soon.
  • Options
    I think we should have another national Holiday to celebrate this great nation and all it has done and all teh fallen men and women

But we are more likely to get Ramadan as a bank Hol
  • Options
    Battle of Britain week in September...for those who gave their lives for us..would be my call or GH October as you say in the long gap............i cannot see why not or even if thats a no no move one of the My Bank hols to Autumn...........English Heritage Day
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]I think we should have another national Holiday to celebrate this great nation and all it has done and all teh fallen men and women

But we are more likely to get Ramadan as a bank Hol

Ramadan as a bank holiday?
    Quality - thats about a month off then !!!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It's a bank holiday here in Canada Land today - and finally after weeks of rain the sun is shining & it's gonna be a hot one.
  • Options
    We seem only too keen to embrace the EU normally so why not increase the number of Public (Bank) holidays?

Most of our EU partners are in double figures for Public holidays.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]I think we should have another national Holiday to celebrate this great nation and all it has done and all teh fallen men and women

But we are more likely to get Ramadan as a bank Hol[/quote]

Ramadan as a bank holiday?
    Quality - thats about a month off then !!![/quote]

dam that was a joke but yeah a great idea
  • Options
    Oakster while Canada has a few good points fella(have lots of relatives from Toronto to Vancover) you still are part French mate ------PART FRENCH
  • Options
    Do you folks take all of your allotted holiday time?

Big article in our local paper yesterday about how Canadians & Americans feel bad about taking up all their holidays, as it looks bad to their employer - so a sizeable minority take less than half the holidays they are entitled to!!!!!

Feck that for a game of soldiers, I am taking unpaid & bringing forward days from next year! I only get 20 days paid - which isn't too bad by our standards, but i take every bloody day I can get.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Oakster while Canada has a few good points fella(have lots of relatives from Toronto to Vancover) you still are part French mate
    PART FRENCH

Tell me about it! I think most of us west of QC would be happy if they buggered off & formed their own nation - by & large they are a complete plain in the 'arris.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still think we might get away with it if we call it a Day for England. Cant say Day for the English they cant have that would mean we exist.
    See they will need us soon , election and all. Harman will have to remember she needs more than the minority vote and needs men to vote. Brown and the other joke Jocks will need the English voter . sooooooooooooo just maybe just maybe we have a get in . Buy us off with Day for England and a few pence off tax .
    Come on Gordon you know it makes sence !!
  • Options
    I think it should be the 21st October to celebrate The Battle of Trafalgar, however the PC brigade would probably be against it as it might upset the French. Anything to annoy the French I say!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Oakster while Canada has a few good points fella(have lots of relatives from Toronto to Vancover) you still are part French mate
    PART FRENCH

Tell me about it! I think most of us west of QC would be happy if they buggered off & formed their own nation - by & large they are a complete plain in the 'arris.

Canada may be part French but you want to go to Alberta GH - It's about as French as Welling. A lot nicer people and surroundings however ;0)

I personally think the UK should have 11/11 as a holiday and why not have April 23rd off - Who cares about Easter
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]It's a bank holiday here in Canada Land today - and finally after weeks of rain the sun is shining & it's gonna be a hot one.

Oh mate - we've had about 1 day of rain in the last 40 odd - It's been sunshine all the way for all of July.