Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Come on You Spifires

Best of luck on Twenty/20 finals day.

Comments

• Options
    Just going out the door to meet my pal Dave from Ashford (also an Addick for 50 odd years)....day is set fair, come on lads, do the business and of course the Addicks too!
    We'll be trying to keep an eye on what's going on further along the coast in Brighton of course.
  • Options
    Really mixed feelings on this one. I'm an Essex boy born & bred, but my dad was a Kent Man (or Man of Kent - whatever that means). Unlike Charlton, he never took me to see cricket so I never got hooked at an early age. All I can remember is endless long journeys on holiday in the summer whilst my dad listened to cricket commentaries that were peppered with names like Underwood, Knott and Woolmer. I'm sure he used to drive around in circles just to ensure he'd hear the whole game before we got to wherever we were supposted to be going. In later years I've seen Essex a few times, but never Kent. As a result of this I feel I have allegencies to both sides.

Once the first game is out of the way it's easy, I support whoever wins that one, but who do I want in the first match? I really don't know. Anyone got any suggestions for who I should support and why?
  • Options
    Kent. All the names that made an impression that you mention are Kent players:-)

I'm not biased of course:-)
  • Options
    Stig, it's difficult given how things were for you. I had no problem as being born and brought up in Bromley (historical Kent) and having a father who, if it was possible, was more fanatical about Kent than he was The Addicks, Kent have and always will be my team.

As a boy I was told about all the tie up's between Kent and Charlton - players like Leary and Ufton who played for both. Colin Cowdrey who was a director of the Addicks for many years. That Kent played a stones throw away from the Valley at Blackheath.

During the 1960's and 70's I grew up with the successful Kent team, stuffed with internationals like Cowdrey, Luckhurst, Denness, Knott, Woolmer, Underwood, Asif, Shepherd, Julian. It was just fantastic and compensated somewhat for the success starved Addicks.

So for me being an Addick is also about supporting Kent.

Hope that helps....:-)
  • Options
    Certainly persuasive arguments. I guess it was obvious that people here would tell me to support Kent. I'm still not sure though, I think I might just need to sit and watch with a few cold beers and see how I feel.
  • Options
    C'mon Spitfires!

I'll be flicking (stop it) between this & the Rugby League as my Saints take on dirty Leeds in the Challenge Cup.

Could be a great day............could be rubbish...........!
  • Options
    Kent 110-3 off 12.5
  • Options
    Kent 173/7 off 20

Essex 52/0 off 6.1 overs.
  • Options
    The danger man Napier is out for three.

Essex 90/2 off 11.2 overs.
  • Options
    Essex need 29 off 13 deliveries...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kent home by 14 runs and go into the final.
  • Options
    Well done lads.
  • Options
    Great stuff lads now for the final!!
  • Options
    This win gets them a place in the Champion's League later this year.
  • Options
    Middlesex beat Durham...
  • Options
    The spitfires need 188 to win