Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doha -- Qatar

Anyone ever worked or visited Qatar or Doha ? looks like im off there in late Sept 6 weeks on 4 off.

Comments

• Options
    GH,

I am moving to kuwait end of August, with the family coming end of the year.

I will be visitng Qatar and the surrounding gulf states a fair bit.

I would suggest you get the book, Qatar Explorer it will tell you everything you will need to know (i have the kuwait version).

As Kuwait is a dry country no doubt I will be popping over the boader for a few beers!
  • Options
    I was there in April for a couple of days. Apart from the brutal heat obviously, it's quite pleasant and much quieter than Dubai for example. The 'Corniche' is a very pleasant beachfront road surrounded by top hotels (Four Seasons, Sheraton etc..)

It's still quite traditional and conservative (again at least compared to Dubai), but Qatar has a reputation in the region for being somewhat independently-minded on global issues (the Al-Jazeera channel started there for example, and has annoyed many of its neighbours, especially Saudi Arabia). Qatar Airways is a terrific airline meanwhile, and they invested a ton of money in the sports infrastructure for the Asian Games a couple of years ago.

It is arguably the wealthiest country in the world (on a simple per capita basis) given that it has the third largest hydrocarbon reserves in the world after Saudi Arabia and Russia, yet only has a few hundred thousand Qatari citzens.

They are incredibly ambitious, even launching an Olympics bid for 2016 (patently ridiculous but anyhow), and there are a ton of modern buildings going up. They have also just bought a huge stake in Barclays Bank, amongst other Western investments.

Check out details meanwhile of 'The Pearl' development - somewhat similar to developments in Dubai that are also on reclaimed land, but on a far larger scale. http://www.thepearlqatar.com/

I have an English friend that lives there and apparently the locals turn a blind eye to expats and their pork-eating and beer-guzzling behaviour! Talal el Karkouri lives there too as you may recall.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. waiting for the contract to see where ill be living, but might pop in and see the Kak man while im there.

Oil it makes the world go round please use more.