Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jazz

Whats it all about ? sorry but to me its a load of bolloxxx. Punk for posh people as far as im concerned. How the f**k can you tell when the bands tuning up or not ?

smooth jaz,trade jazz ------ total total bolloxxxxx. Its just a bunch of herberts who play any old thing not always at the same time time.

Comments

• Options
    I saw Courtney Pine once down at The Orchard.......left at half-time...
  • Options
    Gotta say I'm with you on that one, I love music of all types but have never been able to get into Jazz at all
  • Options
    Its just a bunch of herberts who play any old thing not always at the same time time.

A bit like our midfield then?
  • Options
    Jazz? Hmmm, Nice!
  • Options
    agree 100% sounds like fingernails across a black board...total utter garbage...have tried to get into it...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Whats it all about ? sorry but to me its a load of bolloxxx. Punk for posh people as far as im concerned. How the f**k can you tell when the bands tuning up or not ?

smooth jaz,trade jazz
    total total bolloxxxxx. Its just a bunch of herberts who play any old thing not always at the same time time.

Lets be honest here- how can you dismiss a whole genre of music?????

Bit like saying i don't like pop music tbh....

Maybe you don't like it but dismissing it out of hand as "just a bunch of herberts etc" just shows that you haven't expored it well enough- Some of the greatest musician who ever lived were "Jazzers" Oscar Peterson, Stan Kenton, even brilliant Classical Musos like Lenny Bernstein and Stravinsky were heavily influenced, not to say the plethora of "Black" musicians, who tbh have influenced so much of modern pop music.....
  • Options
    Yes i can it all sh*t.

People seling it as "art" when its just bone ideal muscians playing any old bolloxxx.Of course if you dont "get it" then is far to sofisticated for your ears !!!! nope its sh*t and to be honest i dont think your trying very hard.

Stanmore so as not to offend anyone that loves jazz il tone it down. Its only 98% total tuneless pretenious garbage !

Stanmore that name sounds a bit Jazzy !
  • Options
    Nice to know that some contributors here have such broad artistic taste =)

Ties-in with the Thatcher-era media concept of 'football fans' =)

What style(s) of music DO you guys like?
  • Options
    country........and we all have differant taste...its just i dont like Jazz.......its like when you tune a radio and pass lots of stations and hear bits and pieces.....to me no structure
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Solaraddick[/cite]Nice to know that some contributors here have such broad artistic taste =)

Ties-in with the Thatcher-era media concept of 'football fans' =)

What style(s) of music DO you guys like?

As I said, I love music of all types, but cannot get into Jazz at all despite having been recommended all types of jazz music over the years - it just don't work for me. Just because that doesn't fit into your viewpoint doesn't mean I have no broad artistic taste - pathetic comment to make.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Rock +roll, some blues, R+B , soul, punk, ska, reggie all ok.

e my comment about if you dont get it (jazz) its because your not "cosfisticated enough" fits in well with the comments from the above poster.
  • Options
    Don't mind a bit of ole fashioned dixieland jazz, but the rest of it leaves me cold.
  • Options
    I've heard someone explain it as "it's all about the notes that they're NOT playing".,,

It's like putting a blank canvas up in an art gallery and saying it's all about the painting they haven't painted. 100% Pretentious.

I like the blues side of jazz, but otherwise, no ta.
  • Options
    Chunes- i'd suggest that the person saying "it's all about the notes they aren't playing" is talking shite....

GH- your entitled of course to your opinion.. Won't try and change it.
  • Options
    I had to look after an oil companies art work once. Inventory, valuation, movement policies etc. One peice looked like it was put on the floor paint tins thrown on it and a bike riden over it. Valued £28,000 ! another was a painting of a cube, disc, and rectangle on a white back ground value £10,000 the same artist then did the same but reversed the colours within the disc etc same value. Total , total rubbish , what a con, you could tell the "artist" thought f**k me if they pay me for that ill reverse the colours and get another wedge.

They had "Navaro blankets " as "art" from the USA i wouldnt have given them to a homeless herbert £25,000 a pop !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]I had to look after an oil companies art work once. Inventory, valuation, movement policies etc. One peice looked like it was put on the floor paint tins thrown on it and a bike riden over it. Valued £28,000 ! another was a painting of a cube, disc, and rectangle on a white back ground value £10,000 the same artist then did the same but reversed the colours within the disc etc same value. Total , total rubbish , what a con, you could tell the "artist" thought f**k me if they pay me for that ill reverse the colours and get another wedge.

They had "Navaro blankets " as "art" from the USA i wouldnt have given them to a homeless herbert £25,000 a pop !

Then go and do better...
  • Options
    Come to think of it they had your name written all over them .
  • Options
    Not for me
  • Options
    It's all subjective, bit like, literature, films, football, women, you name your passion.

It's like someone saying, " I don't like wine", but all they've ever tasted is Lieberfraumilch.
    Or they think the only alcohol worth drinking is fizzy chemical lager.

There's some great Jazz out there, especially the trad blues based stuff.
    But yer pays yer money .........
  • Options
    Never got it. Love blues, pop and soul so maybe it's the rhythm. But then again I don't like heavy metal but do like Tom Waits and Nina Simone.

The free form jazz with, to my ears, no melody or beat doesn't hit me so it all sounds like Jazz Club on the fast show to me.

Nice!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting but not that much.

The Fast shows "Jazz Club" was shite and was a 30 second joke on 60's beatniks who liked Jazz. Nothing to do with a whole genre of music.

Have a look at wikepedias take on Jazz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz

When you look at artists like Art Blakey, Miles Davies, Lonnie Liston Smith, it's hard not to like Jazz. But in reality it's about what you have been exposed to. My dad would play Jazz on a Sunday morning so I was exposed to it from an early age. Didn't really like it but was aware of it. When I started going to clubs in the West End they played a lot of Jazz. Giles Petersons club at Dingwalls on a Sunday afternoon was all about Jazz and Jazz dance. You had the West End Jazz clubs and the Essex Soul Clubs ... its what you did growing up.

I for one dont listen to Indie stroke guitar stuff, pop, rock because it doesnt do it for me ... but I understand it.

I think this week I will mostly listening to some Afro Beat or Latin Jazz ...
  • Options
    Jazz was the punk of its day.
    I am very interested in Jazz, but I defy anyone not to enjoy the excellent "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis!

I only listen to three Jazz albums, all very good.

3. Night Train by The Oscar Peterson Trio
    2. Porgy and Bess by Miles Davies
    1. Kind of Blue by MIles Davies
  • Options
    Good call Riscardo. Personally I love Fats Waller, Ben Webster, Stan Getz, Lee Morgan, Art Blakey, Django Reinhardt. All very different and more interesting than a great deal of more modern stuff.
  • Options
    Nope its a few guys and girls geting 2 gether and thinkin we will play any old shit in any order. Go on long boring tuneless instrumentals and then tell the people its the highest form of "music". If we say it long enough some will believe it !

EMPERORS (sic) NEW CLOTHES I TELL THEE !!!
  • Options
    Stay away from jazz, its dangerous
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Nope its a few guys and girls geting 2 gether and thinkin we will play any old shit in any order. Go on long boring tuneless instrumentals and then tell the people its the highest form of "music". If we say it long enough some will believe it !

EMPERORS (sic) NEW CLOTHES I TELL THEE !!!

Given that some of this stuff dates back 80 years or more perhaps it's Emporers Old Clothes.
  • Options
    80 years tuning up ! Jesus when they gona playa tune then?
  • Options
    Im sure Brighton has shed load of jazz bars clubs...even jazz cafes...its that kind of place...some GH maybe a few pints listening to some bearded wonders laying down some smooth Jazz may a) convert you to Jazz b) get you in the mood to see the boys play c) take the walk of shame to the end of the pier....anyone know any suitable place...if so ill bring a barge pole with me.....can hear it now as you turn the corner shrill sounds all out of tune....
  • Options
    Fela

Just been listening to Fela Kuti ... absolute quality and always brings a smile to my face.

The thing is to drop a few moves to this tune ...
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited July 2008