Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mathew Etherington

edited July 2008 in Rumours
Somebody on the Mailing List has reported tonight that he has heard a strong rumour that he has agreed to join us subject to a trial match when we return from Spain and will be in the team to play Dover.

I can't understand why he would do this "subject to a trial match". I have to say the guy who mentioned it does seem to come up with some scoops so..........

Comments

• Would be a decent signing, god knows how much he's on though or if he's out of contract, I know he likes a gamble though.

Or used to at least, not that this is a bad thing just an observation.
  • If true...could be he wants to have a look at the set-up and see how we play / how he gets on with the rest of the squad.
  • Seasons long loan may be a possible, if West Ham need to reduce their wage bill.
  • West Ham are all about getting rid of players I think - they've currently got 40 odd in the squad and so need to slim down
  • A rumour I'd like to see come true, would be a decent addition IMO.

Can deliver as well as take on players.
  • like this
  • Now he would be a good signing. Definitely better than any winger we have.
    I agree it sounds plausible as West Ham are unloading players because their Icelandic owners are not as flush as they were due to the Credit Crunch.
    Fingers crossed.
  • can't see how the wages issue would stack up. Even if WestHam paid half we'd still be looking at excess of 10k pw and I just can't see it.
  • If we're after a West Ham squad member they are clearing out, then I think Gabbidon or Mullins should be priorites over Etherington.
  • [cite]Posted By: North Lower Neil[/cite]If we're after a West Ham squad member they are clearing out, then I think Gabbidon or Mullins should be priorites over Etherington.

I make you right in principle in that we need a ball winner box to box man like Mullins and maybe a decent centre half if bogie goes but if Etherington is available and within budget (which Mullins and Gabbidon don't seem to be) then he would be a mustard signing. Only my 2 cents though mate
  • Sponsored links:

• be a very good signing
  • There is much trading to be done yet. Wouldn't put it past Pards to sell Thomas and bring in Etherington in as his replacement for less money or on a loan and probably on about the same wages. Etherington is more consistent and a better crosser. Thomas takes the p*ss out of defenders with step overs more often. I know which I'd rather!
  • There is much trading to be done yet. Wouldn't put it past Pards to sell Thomas and bring in Etherington in as his replacement for less money or on a loan and probably on about the same wages. Etherington is more consistent and a better crosser. Thomas takes the p*ss out of defenders with step overs more often. I know which I'd rather!
  • I heard what you said the first time thanks :-)
  • edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I make you right in principle in that we need a ball winner box to box man like Mullins and maybe a decent centre half if bogie goes but if Etherington is available and within budget (which Mullins and Gabbidon don't seem to be) then he would be a mustard signing. Only my 2 cents though mate

They are getting rid of about 15 players apparently, I think those two may be among them. Or James Collins, maybe.
  • tbh i'd keep jt and put him on the right and bring ehterington in onto the left. would be a very good signing
  • Would be a very good signing if true. Like with all these things have to see what happens
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Pavo[/cite]There is much trading to be done yet. Wouldn't put it past Pards to sell Thomas and bring in Etherington in as his replacement for less money or on a loan and probably on about the same wages. Etherington is more consistent and a better crosser. Thomas takes the p*ss out of defenders with step overs more often. I know which I'd rather![/quote]

You can say that again...oh sorry you just did!
    Only joking Pavo!
  • Was it Etherington who was getting help to kick a gambling addiction (allegedly) possibly as recently as the start of last season? It was someone at West Ham but I can't remember who.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ronnie Moore[/cite]Was it Etherington who was getting help to kick a gambling addiction (allegedly) possibly as recently as the start of last season? It was someone at West Ham but I can't remember who.

His name was mentioned as was Greens.
  • Sponsored links:

• on the bench for west ham in america tonight.....doubt it's true then
  • [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]on the bench for west ham in america tonight.....doubt it's true then

Funnily enough he was the only one of the 10 subs who didn't get to play!
  • edited July 2008
    I also doubt the validity of this rumour, yet he might be training with them whilst we are away and will jet back in when we return. Otherwise he would well behind the rest if the move came to nowt
  • I thought he had signed a new contract?
  • I believe he did sign a contract last year.

I would love this to be true , somehow I think not though.