Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Heidar Helguson

edited July 2008 in Rumours
Another striker on the way?

New striker

Comments

• unexcited by that one. We've enough already.
  • No way thats lazy paper writer talk, heard we were sniffing round him when he was at Watford and were would the money come from
  • It appears this story is in a number of papers this morning. 1.25 mil.
  • So we buy a striker when we need to add some steel and creativity to a squad bereft of defense and midfield. I can't see us blowing what we have/are about to recoup on an attacker
  • [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]So we buy a striker when we need to add some steel and creativity to a squad bereft of defense and midfield. I can't see us blowing what we have/are about to recoup on an attacker
    You can't see us doing it but what about Pardew...
  • I can see it myself, we have just sold two strikers, that leaves us with Varney & Gray as the only two experienced strikers at the club, perhaps Pards really does think Dickson & Fleetwood will only be emergency cover and bit part players this season.
  • And Toddy mate thats 3

Also Mcleod or has he gone i cant keep up with it all
  • don't rule out a purchase from Watford.
  • im not a football techi but do stats show we should a) being scoring more goals or B) stop letting so many in..........i guess we are poo at scoring and damn good at stopping......
  • Heidar Helguson was a decent striker at this level with Watford and has ok Prem form.

The question is what will happen to Fleetwood/Dickson etc - presumably they'll go on loan for a short spell to gain experience and with McLeod injured until late in the year this wouldn't be a bad signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Im totally underwhelmed by this. I believe if we're going to be buying players now for over 1 mill then they have to be players that havent already proved they are not good enough for the premiership. If we get there we'll only have to replace them.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]don't rule out a purchase from Watford.

I'd be stunned if that was true.
  • Our first task is to get out this division and into the Premiership - I think we all know by now that we can't afford Prem quality players (or their salaries) so weby default we either take a punt on players from the lower divisions or take players who have form at this level. That means in many cases that they'll have had a spell in the Prem and like Helguson not made it.
  • [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]Im totally underwhelmed by this. I believe if we're going to be buying players now for over 1 mill then they have to be players that havent already proved they are not good enough for the premiership. If we get there we'll only have to replace them.

We're not in the Premiership, we're a Championship club and first and foremost we need to get out of this league by whatever means possible. If we have to replace them when we get promoted so be it.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]don't rule out a purchase from Watford.[/quote]

I'd be stunned if that was true.[/quote]

What Watford purchase?

Shittu I hope
  • [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]And Toddy mate thats 3

Also Mcleod or has he gone i cant keep up with it all

Forgot about Toddy, almost like a new signing I suppose, but he is ony on a 1 year contract , so Pards must have doubts about either his fitness due to the injury, or his long term future at the club.
  • edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]What Watford purchase?

Shittu I hope

Massive speculation but what i heard. Funny if we could pay him more than Rangers.
  • Or just cautious as im sure he would be one of the higher earners and if we don’t go up he will be gone?
  • really can't see this and would be very disappointed if true. We are selling to raise money to finance other areas, areas which are far more urgent, and I cannot see another striker coming in. Varney, Gray, Toddy and Fleetwood/Dickson are going to have to see us through. More urgent is a couple of centre halves and a couple of central midfielders.

Shittu would be a good aquisition though, however I read he was looking for around 15k at Rangers hence the plug being pulled.
  • on SSN that Shittu still wants to go to Rangers, despite other options being available.
  • Sponsored links:

• I am sorry but I cannot see us out bidding Rangers for a player, we might have been able to a few years ago but not now.

Our only advantage is proximity, they can offer more money, a 50% chance of 3 domestic trophies and European football, not to mention a move to a bigger English club if he shines in the Eufa Cup.
  • I'm not sure it was Shittu AFKA was talking about?
  • It doesn't matter how good or poor Helgusen is as at the end of last season we didn't have a creative midfield so the strikers didn't get the chances. Our best (?) midfielder is knackering himself in China, the next best one is all heart and little skill, the next sulky and the rest whilst showing promise are still learning, oh yes and there is Sam.
    We haven't had a creative midfield since Parker left, yes I know we can't afford a Parker and Shelvey etc have promise, but we need an experienced strong tackling midfielder who can win the ball and set up an attack without just hoofing the ball down the park. Forget the defence with a creative midfielder and all our strikers we just have to score more than we concede - it could be fun - back to the days of 6-4 results which are far more enjoyable than 2-0
  • edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]I'm not sure it was Shittu AFKA was talking about?

Of there squad i'd only fancy DeMerit, Henderson, McAnuff and Sh*ttu.
  • I thought AFKA meant Watford might buy Helguson instead of us
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]I'm not sure it was Shittu AFKA was talking about?

I initially thought he meant that watford may well be after Helgusson
  • I thought AFKA meant the high street
  • I doubt AFKA knows what he was talking about. ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]really can't see this and would be very disappointed if true. We are selling to raise money to finance other areas, areas which are far more urgent, and I cannot see another striker coming in. Varney, Gray, Toddy and Fleetwood/Dickson are going to have to see us through. More urgent is a couple of centre halves and a couple of central midfielders.

Shittu would be a good aquisition though, however I read he was looking for around 15k at Rangers hence the plug being pulled.

He was asking for 20k + per week apparently, spoke to some people yesterday up there on another site.
  • See what one teasing comment can do AFKA! ;0)