Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

1st test v SA

Run rate is less than 3 an over, nothing is really happening and people wonder why 20/20 cricket is taking over.

Comments

• Options
    Just moved to 3.17 an over!
  • Options
    On the other hand the First Test is shaping up to be an enthralling mental battle, and that is where Test cricket is played. Cricket isn't just about smashing fours and sixes.

Watch how Strauss and Cook are plaing the bowling while Steyn and Ntini are slanting the ball across them, looking to get them chase a wider ball. This is real cricket.
  • Options
    I find test cricket the ultimate therapy, it makes perfect background noise to drown out the coven of gossiping, bitching females I am surrounded by.
  • Options
    I can't believe people are knocking this form of cricket, the best form of the sport by far. One of the fastest attacks around in useful conditions and we are fighting and digging in. Wow, 20/20 doesn't compete.
  • Options
    I spoke too soon. 3 wickets gone!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]On the other hand the First Test is shaping up to be an enthralling mental battle, and that is where Test cricket is played. Cricket isn't just about smashing fours and sixes.

Bloody boring though - not really much of a spectator sport. Better than Formula 1 mind you.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]On the other hand the First Test is shaping up to be an enthralling mental battle, and that is where Test cricket is played. Cricket isn't just about smashing fours and sixes.

Bloody boring though - not really much of a spectator sport. Better than Formula 1 mind you.

Err you clearly didn't watch the British GP at the weekend then, seeing a Brit WORLD champion in the making. England are just Third rate at Cricket full stop!
  • Options
    The best batsman in the world is slapping the Saffers all over north London at the moment
  • Options

Watch how Strauss and Cook are plaing the bowling while Steyn and Ntini are slanting the ball across them, looking to get them chase a wider ball. This is real cricket.

spot on bfr
  • Options
    anyone who hasn't got sky this has the sky stream and commentary. it's about 2 seconds behind the sky pictures.
    just type 'uktv' when prompted for the code (after pressing play on the screen).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    you legend pbs!
  • Options
    cant find the kent game though.
    being an essex fan, haven't looked too hard.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

Err you clearly didn't watch the British GP at the weekend then, seeing a Brit WORLD champion in the making. England are just Third rate at Cricket full stop!

Actually, I DID see a bit of it and it was pretty exciting - for Formula 1 - but that was only because of the rain and the fact that people were skiding off all over the place so it was a bit of a lottery. Hardly the norm, is it?
  • Options
    great hundred
  • Options
    309/3 at stumps at 3.43, a great hundred by KP, he took his time worked out the bowling and then accelerated away from them. Bell also going well at the other end in a partnership of 192.
  • Options
    Solid day for England. We should hopefully get 450 or so which should ensure we don't lose.
  • Options
    Yep a good platform for England to push on from but the wicket looked slow, with all the rain about it looks undercooked and should quicken up a yard from here on. That said SA did not bowl well today, too short and too wide, they'll get better as the series progresses.
  • Options
    watched the highlights on sky sp 1, great day today, i thought bells knock was excellent and he helped kp along nicely to a really well worked century, enjoyed watching that i can tell you.
  • Options
    add to that actually bells first boundary was top draw, had me drooling awesome shot
  • Options
    Spent the day at Lords yesterday and if anyone thinks that was boring or 20/20 will surpass it needs their heads testing.

It had everything, tenacity, bravery, defensive skills, attacking skills, minds games, aggression but above all it had one of the most enjoyable sportsmen to watch, KP was awesome.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Test and First Class cricket comes first, Twenty20 is for kids and those with attention deficit disorder.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Test and First Class cricket comes first, Twenty20 is for kids and those with attention deficit disorder.[/quote]

BFR, where does that leave those of us who enjoy 'all' versions of cricket?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Test and First Class cricket comes first, Twenty20 is for kids and those with attention deficit disorder.

says the man who commented more yesterday during the warwickshire kent game, than the test match;-)

when it comes to a personal choice, i prefer cricket in test form.
    but seeing how twenty20 has had county grounds full (something that rarely happens in other forms of the game), it has to have a place.
    the key is getting the balance right, (i don't have that answer), so not to take the test match status as being the pinnacle of the sport.
  • Options
    BFR, where does that leave those of us who enjoy 'all' versions of cricket?

That leaves you liking cricket...

Twenty20 is ok, but it is what it is - a short, sharp knock about in the evening and if the weather is warm and the beer flowing and cold then I can't think of a more pleasurable way to spend a couple of hours. But for those that prefer it to Test/First Class cricket understand little of the game - either its history, traditions or more importantly its craft. Yesterday's Test match wasn't the best day's play I've ever seen - the radar of the much heralded SA pace attack were off-target, but England batted well under pressure to get over 300 and so it's first blood to us. This is only day one of five and there are three more matches to follow and the two teams will stay largely the same throughout the series. That should give all the participants the opportunity to demonstrate their skill and mental ability to play the game. Something you won't find in Twenty20 cricket.
  • Options
    says the man who commented more yesterday during the warwickshire kent game, than the test match;-)

Only because it involved Kent...

The Counties like 40/50 over matches and they fill the ground, moreover they attract a younger audience who like a few beers and take advantage of other merchandising, Twenty20 does the same. In small doses this is ok but too much and players won't develop their skills, or if they do then they'll become experts at smashing the ball around and bowling wise at doing nothing more than being reasonably accurate length and line merchants, that in turn will mean that one day cricket will suffer, besides which cricket will get boring pretty quickly if all we get is one day cricket.
  • Options
    402 for 3

KP on 151
    Bell on 111
  • Options
    kiss of death, KP out for 152
  • Options
    Listened most of yesterday to Test Match Special.All the usual suspects, Aggers, Boycs, Tuffers, good banter, but ruined by the incessant yapping of Mark Pougatch.....out of his depth in that company.
  • Options
    20 /20 is fine as a marketing cash cow and entertainment.

It is not proper cricket though.

I follow any form of cricket when Kent is involved because I've supported Kent almost as long as I've supported Charlton.

Rather like with Charlton though the league (county championship) is what counts and the cups (20/20 etc) are an enjoyable diversion but no more than that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]kiss of death, KP out for 152

Should still get to 450 with any luck.