Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any employment law gurus on here?

If so, can you whisper me?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    I don't know how to whisper but I may be able to help
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ooh, while we're at it, does anyone know anything about what you can do about someone getting paid more than you for the same job?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: North Lower Neil[/cite]ooh, while we're at it, does anyone know anything about someone getting paid more than you for the same job?

yeah, life's bitch aint it.

Go and see your union or HR team and find out why.
  • Options
    I plan too, mate, just want to know what's best to say!

One woman who has one more responsibility than me, which I'm not sure is in the job description necessarily, I found out is on at least £5k more because she used to be a supervisor when it was 2 departments and not one.

Then a couple of others are on £1k more basically because they're new and the company is obviously offering a better salary to get people in.

Grr.
  • Options
    Depends if your company does performance related pay linked to apraisels. So people doing the same job can get paid differant rates of pay.

If the terms of new employees are even slightly differant (including job title) they can be paid at a differant rate.
  • Options
    No, appraisals are linked to bonuses at our place, not your salary.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: North Lower Neil[/cite]I plan too, mate, just want to know what's best to say!

One woman who has one more responsibility than me, which I'm not sure is in the job description necessarily, I found out is on at least £5k more because she used to be a supervisor when it was 2 departments and not one.

Then a couple of others are on £1k more basically because they're new and the company is obviously offering a better salary to get people in.

Grr.

If someone has more responsibility then that's why they get paid more.

You have more of a case about the new people.

Best strategy is to approach your manager or a senior manager and say that you are are unhappy, you like the company, have performed well (quote your appraisals) but are frustrated that someone else is getting more and you'd like them to re-consider if it is fair.

DON'T threaten to resign. The implication is enough as they are already keen to pay more to recruit so won't want to lose you assuming you are any good. Again make sure you remind them of your track record of success and make it about wanting to be valued.

Do check why the new people are getting more. They may be on diffent terms and conditions so may get less leave, pension, commision that you. Do you want to swap what you have for another £1k PA