Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ernie Cooksey

Grays' Cooksey loses cancer fight

Cooksey joined Grays from Boston last season (Getty)
Grays Athletic have announced the death of midfielder Ernie Cooksey from cancer at the age of 28.

The former Oldham, Rochdale and Boston player passed away in the early hours of 3 July.

A club statement read: "Ernie will always be fondly remembered by all those who he came in contact with.

"On the pitch Ernie always gave 100% and was a true gentleman off the pitch, he always found time to talk with the fans and has made many friends."

The statement continued: "Our thoughts and prayers are with Ernie's partner Louise and family at this sad time."

Cooksey had developed a form of skin cancer and was diagnosed with a recurrence of a malignant melanoma in February 2008.

---------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone Charlton fans who are not aware Erine was a Greenwich lad and on Charlton's books as a youngster. He played for Rochdale against us at the Valley in a FA cup game a few seasons back. Such sad news. RIP Ernie.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Just read this myself on the Beeb - what dreadful news.

RIP Ernie and condolences to his partner and family
  • Options
    Sad news.

I visited a Rochdale site to wish them luck in the play-off final at Wembley and read of a benefit race night for Ernie Cooksey. I got the impression from the site at that time that he was winning the battle and indeed went to the final at Wembley.

Tragic that his condition worsened so quickly.

RIP
  • Options
    2 good mates of mine are good friends with Ernie, was talking about him a couple a weeks ago too!! Great bloke, fit as a fiddle, cancer is awful.

Just moved to welling as well recently to be closer to friends. Nightmare

Rip Ernie
  • Options
    I remember Ernie playing as a kid, real nice kid from a good family.

RIP
  • Options
    FOF knew him very well. Apparently his partner is pregnant too.

Very sad and Love to all his family
  • Options
    R.I.P
  • Options
    RIP...
  • Options
    Tragic story at such a young age. Sympathy to his family and friends. R.I.P
  • Options
    R.I.P so sad at a young age
  • Options
    Sad news RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nice tribute from the Rochdale site.

http://www.clubfanzine.com/rochdale/v2.showNews.php?id=11696
  • Options
    I think he's the lad i yelled at during the game "oi cooksey you should have stayed at the valley" when he was nearby as i was in the lower West.. he gave me a smile.

RIP