Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest FIFA Rankings

I know they don't mean much but Scotland are unbearably close...

1. (4) Spain
2. (3) Italy
3. (5) Germany
4. (2) Brazil
5. (10) Netherlands
6. (1) Argentina
7. (15) Croatia
8. (6) Czech Republic
9. (11) Portugal
10. (7) France
11. (24) Russia
12. (12) Romania
13. (13) Cameroon
14. (20) Turkey
15. (9) England
16. (17) Scotland
17. (18) Bulgaria
18. (8) Greece
19. (14) Mexico
20 (16) Ghana

Comments

• Options
    Spain !!!!
    What have they ever done?
  • Options
    I've never understood the FIFA rankings, we are the 12th best European team, yet failed to qualify for the European Championships which has 16 teams in it - surely we should be lower than those teams, maybe that's too easy for FIFA.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]I've never understood the FIFA rankings, we are the 12th best European team, yet failed to qualify for the European Championships which has 16 teams in it - surely we should be lower than those teams, maybe that's too easy for FIFA.

I see what you are trying to say but I am sorry England despite being a very avergage side are better than the likes of Switzerland, Austria, Sweden, Turkey & probably on a par with the likes of Italy. As for Scotland, would fancy us to beat them easily at any tournament whilst they have improved they are way behind us.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]I've never understood the FIFA rankings, we are the 12th best European team, yet failed to qualify for the European Championships which has 16 teams in it - surely we should be lower than those teams, maybe that's too easy for FIFA.

I see what you are trying to say but I am sorry England despite being a very avergage side are better than the likes of Switzerland, Austria, Sweden, Turkey & probably on a par with the likes of Italy. As for Scotland, would fancy us to beat them easily at any tournament whilst they have improved they are way behind us.

What do u base this on? Perhaps a better team than Swiss and Austria but more on a par with Turkey and Sweden. I think the England players have the same view as yourself and that's why they're so poor.
  • Options
    we have to face the facts at this current moment in time England ar nothing more than a average international squad ie Sweden & Switzerland yet are players are paid and treated like they have just won the world cup and will win the next world cup.
  • Options
    Switzerland and Austria didn't have to qualify of course.

Anyway, are China in the top 75?
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The quoting function on here, drives me nuts, it always ends up as a mess.

Mart, you're completely correct. The view that England are probably as good as Itlay (recently won the world cup and qualified for the championships and out of the group stages from very difficult groups) or Turkey (finished third in the World Cup before last and were just narrowly beaten in the semis of this championship), is complete delusion.

England failed to qualify out of an easy group. Only three times in the team's entire history has England reached a semi final - only once outside of England. They've never, like Turkey, managed a third place in a World Cup on foreign soil, or got to a Euro semi on foreign soil.

ALL available evidence suggests that England are not a shadow of these sides, and until the players, fans and press wake up to that, then it's not likely to change.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]The quoting function on here, drives me nuts, it always ends up as a mess.

Mart, you're completely correct. The view that England are probably as good as Itlay (recently won the world cup and qualified for the championships and out of the group stages from very difficult groups) or Turkey (finished third in the World Cup before last and were just narrowly beaten in the semis of this championship), is complete delusion.

England failed to qualify out of an easy group. Only three times in the team's entire history has England reached a semi final - only once outside of England. They've never, like Turkey, managed a third place in a World Cup on foreign soil, or got to a Euro semi on foreign soil.

ALL available evidence suggests that England are not a shadow of these sides, and until the players, fans and press wake up to that, then it's not likely to change.

Whilst i agree with everything you've said there, i don't think our qualifying group was easy. In fact this was proved as the only group to have both it's qualifiers make the quarter finals at the Euro's was the group we were in.
  • Options
    Absolute rubbish Mortimerican. England have at least 5-6 players who would walk into any team in the world. The fact we're not ranked first just shows you that jonny foreigner doesn't know a thing about football. Personally i think we should stop playing all international football as it's a waste of our time to play so beneath our level. If you don't believe me just tune into Sky.
  • Options
    Yeah you're talking crap Mortimerican.

The quoting function on here is fine.

;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would like to see the England team concentrate on playing quality opponents in friendlies.
    Even if we do lose the majority of them against the likes of Spain,France,Germany etc it will at least have the effect of letting the players and fans know exactly where we stand in world football. If we dont win a friendly for 2 years so be it.
    Heres to the next 'golden generation'.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]I would like to see the England team concentrate on playing quality opponents in friendlies.
    Even if we do lose the majority of them against the likes of Spain,France,Germany etc it will at least have the effect of letting the players and fans know exactly where we stand in world football. If we dont win a friendly for 2 years so be it.

I cannot remember the last time we beat a major footballing nation. Was it against Argentina in a friendly a couple of years back? Off the top of my head i can remember a draw in Holland, a 1-0 defeat in Spain, drew with Brazil at Wembley, lost to Germany. I'm sure someone will correct me but i can't think of anyone decent we've beaten.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]I would like to see the England team concentrate on playing quality opponents in friendlies.

I cannot remember the last time we beat a major footballing nation. Was it against Argentina in a friendly a couple of years back? Off the top of my head i can remember a draw in Holland, a 1-0 defeat in Spain, drew with Brazil at Wembley, lost to Germany. I'm sure someone will correct me but i can't think of anyone decent we've beaten.

Germany in 1966?
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited September 2008
    Now below the cameroonians:

1. (1) Spain
    2. (3) Italy
    3. (2) Germany
    4. (4) Netherlands
    5. (5) Croatia
    6. (6) Brazil
    7. (7) Argentina
    8. (8) Czech Republic
    9. (9) Portugal
    10. (13) Turkey
    11. (12) France
    12. (10) Russia
    13. (11) Romania
    14. (15) Cameroon
    15. (14) England
    16 (16) Scotland
    16 (17) Bulgaria
    18. (18) Greece
    19. (20) Israel
    20. (19) Ghana

32. (32) Northern Ireland
    38. (35) Republic of Ireland
    53. (51) Wales
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Now below the macaroons:
    [/quote]

bit un-pc there of you....

you can't use ryming slang to call them that!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]Absolute rubbish Mortimerican. England have at least 5-6 players who would walk into any team in the world. The fact we're not ranked first just shows you that jonny foreigner doesn't know a thing about football. Personally i think we should stop playing all international football as it's a waste of our time to play so beneath our level. If you don't believe me just tune into Sky.

Which 5 or 6 would get in the Italian or Spanish sides? Terry, Gerrard, Lampard? No way. Rooney on a good day maybe. no one else IMHO
  • Options
    I'm not having THAT

Romania and cameroon above us.

[cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]

Looking at the your list only Turkey are above us and rightly so bearing in mind their record in the big tournaments of late.
  • Options
    I don't see how anyone can argue with the rankings at the moment
  • Options
    agreed Rothko. Just surprised at romania and cameroon - esp romania being above us.
  • Options
    Romania qualifed for the Euros, took points off Italy and France. That'll be the reason. As for Cameroon they were runners up at the ANC and have a decent world cup record.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its only the media who think we are world class. They have a vested intrest in over selling the English players and the Prem. cant see to much wrong with our rating at all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Romania qualifed for the Euros, took points off Italy and France. That'll be the reason. As for Cameroon they were runners up at the ANC and have a decent world cup record.

And in qualifying for the euros, Romania were unbeaten and took 4 points off Holland.

[cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]Absolute rubbish Mortimerican. England have at least 5-6 players who would walk into any team in the world. The fact we're not ranked first just shows you that jonny foreigner doesn't know a thing about football. Personally i think we should stop playing all international football as it's a waste of our time to play so beneath our level. If you don't believe me just tune into Sky.

Which 5 or 6 would get in the Italian or Spanish sides? Terry, Gerrard, Lampard? No way. Rooney on a good day maybe. no one else IMHO

For me, without question Gerrard would get into any teams midfield.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ahead of Xavi or Fabregas? He couldn't do the job Senna did IMHO but OK Gerrard maybe. Who are the other 5 players?

Who are you going drop Torres or Villa for? Crouch, Defoe or Owen. And remember Spain didn't even pick Raul
  • Options
    Much as it pains me to say it what have we done as a national football team since 1990...not much 15th is more than Fair for this bunch of underachievers. As long as Scotland stay below us I'll settle for that for now. BTW how we are favourites to win our Group above Croatia at some bookies is mystifying.
  • Options
    Bookies covering their losses?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]. BTW how we are favourites to win our Group above Croatia at some bookies is mystifying.

because odds follow the money and there are a lot of mug punters who put money on England regardless.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Bookies covering their losses?

You don't see many poor bookies..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Romania qualifed for the Euros, took points off Italy and France. That'll be the reason. As for Cameroon they were runners up at the ANC and have a decent world cup record.

completely forgot about romania being in the Euros as I hardly watched it - faqir enough then.
  • Options
    Ridiculous that Italy and France slip so far because of one bad tournament and Egypt who failed to qualify make the top ten just because of the cup of nations.

1. Spain
    2. Netherlands
    3. Brazil
    4. Germany
    5. Argentina
    6. Uruguay
    7. England
    8. Portugal
    9. Egypt
    10. Chile
    36. Republic of Ireland
    41. Scotland
    59. Northern Ireland
    84. Wales
  • Options
    Not as ridiculous as the fact that England actually rose 1 place!!