Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Totally ridiculous, a total waste of time, effort and resources on everyone's part. Maybe it's because I'm not in the game but I simply don't get this kind of thing at all.
  • Its almost as if we act as some form of holding company....
  • total waste of time and money and effort by all

SORT IT OUT
  • Backhanders, pure and simple
  • Allegedly
  • Stupid name and stupid waste of time and wages.
  • if any of us did this kind of thing in our jobs we'd be investigated for money laundering
  • gamble speculation that didn't pay off, Pards style perhaps?
  • We took a look at the lad and Pards maybe thinks he's not quite up to it. What's the problem? He won't have been on massive money and the fact that he was only signed till the summer says a lot. If out of ten raw players you find one gold nugget then you're quids in.
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]We took a look at the lad and Pards maybe thinks he's not quite up to it. What's the problem? He won't have been on massive money and the fact that he was only signed till the summer says a lot. If out of ten raw players you find one gold nugget then you're quids in.

Plus we might even make a wee bit on our investment, oh and is it any worse than the gambles made by past managers?

Dowie- Traora and Faye
    Pards- M. Bent
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2008
    could be Pards has been forced to let go a lot of this type of player to trim the squad, we just don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

M Bent was Curbs...
  • I prefer Pardews strategy of buying young raw talent and discarding the chaff to Curbs' of buying overpriced journeymen on long contracts. Who cares if we have a high turnover if we can sell on these players and maybe uncover a gem like Reo-Coker.
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite] If out of ten raw players you find one gold nugget then you're quids in.

We've found that gold nugget. His name is Chris Dickson.
  • [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]I prefer Pardews strategy of buying young raw talent and discarding the chaff to Curbs' of buying overpriced journeymen on long contracts. Who cares if we have a high turnover if we can sell on these players and maybe uncover a gem like Reo-Coker.
    Indeed. They won't be costing us much, who knows we might even get something for them on ebay ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]I prefer Pardews strategy of buying young raw talent and discarding the chaff to Curbs' of buying overpriced journeymen on long contracts. Who cares if we have a high turnover if we can sell on these players and maybe uncover a gem like Reo-Coker.

With very few exceptions the Curbs transfer policy worked well.

6 mid table premiership seasons once we got promoted the second time proves that.

Even Marcus Bent showed last season that he could be useful in the Premiership. Perhaps Dowie, Reed and Pardew failed to use him properly?

Prior to that the Championship championship, narrow relegation from the Premiership, promotion via the play-offs and another play ff semi final with no real danger of relegation from the lower tier in the least successful seasons.

Not meant as an attack on you Santa but why do some people take every opportunity to run down our greatest manager?

i just hope we aren't in the aldi league when one turns up.
  • M Bent was one of Curbs.
  • Len, I just think we as a club became more and more short term in our transfer policies at a time when going down wouldn't have been disasterous. We could have established ourselves as a club that gave young talent a chance (ours and brought in from the lower leagues) and built a sustainable wage structure. Curbs' didn't have the courage to face down the 'next level' idiots and spent recklessly on players who were unsuited to a small club. I'm not a rabid anti Curbs poster and his achievements speak for themselves it's just that i think Pardews transfer policy is something that Curbs should have tried when we still had the money and the pull of the Premier League.

Before anyone chips in with DB i'd say he was the exception that proved the rule.
  • edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]Len, I just think we as a club became more and more short term in our transfer policies at a time when going down wouldn't have been disasterous. We could have established ourselves as a club that gave young talent a chance (ours and brought in from the lower leagues) and built a sustainable wage structure. Curbs' didn't have the courage to face down the 'next level' idiots and spent recklessly on players who were unsuited to a small club. I'm not a rabid anti Curbs poster and his achievements speak for themselves it's just that i think Pardews transfer policy is something that Curbs should have tried when we still had the money and the pull of the Premier League.

Before anyone chips in with DB i'd say he was the exception that proved the rule.

Disagree. Quite strongly actually.

Of course he become more short-term. We were a small club playing in a league above us. The longer that went on, the harder it was to sustain. As Leicester, Ipswich, Derby, Birmingham, Reading and a whole host of other clubs will tell you.

Curbs signing and playing structure changed over time, largely through necessity. When it come to us having little money, he relied on bringing through the Parkers and Konchesky's, and signing the Kinsellas and the Brendon O'Connells. When it come to us staying in the prem, it was through signing up and coming players like Darren Bent and unsettled prem hands with potential still like Murphy and Jeffers.

Throughout, some worked and some didn't, and the longer we stayed in that league, the harder it got.
  • Can't see what's wrong with this. From Dorian's point of view Tooting to the Championship is too big a jump, therefore it's got to be worth loaning him out (and having his salary paid) by an intermediate club, where he can prove himself (or otherwise).
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2008
    I wish life was a simple as some make it out (not mean't offensively). Curbs (and Gritty's to start with) ability to manage what was there to work with and the meagre transfer resources at the time marked him out as an excellent coach/manager. During the 90's the club, having got back to the Valley, put it's faith in the quality of some of it's youngsters and augmented that with the odd signing. In the play off final season, Curbs signed Sir Clive for £750,000. This was our then biggest signing. In Jan he added Mills and Youds as part of a determined but sensible promotion push. The rest of the team were by and large home grown plus some low cost signings like Kins Robbo and Keith Jones.

During the relegation season, the squad was improved with players like Sir Chris, Andy Hunt, Pringle, etc - players for the future (shame about Pringles injury). The following promotion season with basically the same time less Mills, plus Kiely (arguably Curbs finest signing) we stormed the division.

In the following seasons, Curbs signed players like Luke Young, Feeeeeesh, JJ, Bartlett, Stuart, Euell, Herm, Jensen, DiCanio, Murphy to name but several. Why just pick on Darren Bent. During this time we reached the highest league position since God was a boy.

Curbs was unable to hold onto Parker, Jensen, Murphy, Kiely or DiCanio. Pringle, Mendonca, Hunt and Rufus - retired early due to injury/illness. Players like Stuart, Feesh, Robbo, retired/faded away. Still though he kept us in the Division.

I think the squad did need freshening up by the time Curbs left. How much of that was down to him knowing he was going, and how much to the board being over cautious with the money is hard to say. It was clear to me that he stayed perhaps a season too long. The clubs biggest failing in the latter stages of his managerial reign was to keep the conveyor belt of youngsters coming through. How much that was down to Curbs is difficult to say, maybe he had a "safety first" approach which didn't help.

As for Pards, well he is different and thats a breath of fresh air. He certainly talks the talk, but as far as I'm concerned he hasn't yet shown me at Charlton that he can walk the walk. He's signed a few gambles, if one comes off that'd be great. Clearly in this instant he feels he cannot afford to keep another winger who is probably fourth or fifth choice. If we recover or even gain some money out of it that will be excellent business.
  • Did anyone here see the lad play?

Got one of my Huddersfield mates asking me what he is like. Told him that i never saw the kid play.
  • With Dorian Smith, Pards gave himself the chance to have a close look at him to see if he truly had the potential to step up to only God knows how many levels to the Championship.

Smith, loaned back to Tooting, still hasn't played a League game at any level.

It was also said at the time he signed that, despite his undoubted ability, that he was carrying too much weight, so maybe even today he's still considered not quick enough.

Maybe Pards decided that it was a level too far, at least for the foreseeable future.
    Perhaps it's right that lower league clubs take a look at him now.

After all, he's still never played a League match.