Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Matchday prices

edited June 2008 in General Charlton
We might well of been the 2nd most visited club last season, but i think its unlikely to be repeated this year.

Visiting supporters will be made to pay £30 for adult tickets for some games, as will home supporters in lower west, and central blocks of the East, West Upper and North lower.

The first two games come under this grading, and it looks to me that the extent of how many games will be priced at this level will depend on the demand.

I suppose its designed to:
1. Convince those looking to swap from a season ticket back to matchday sales, to get a ST
2. Maximising revenue from away fans

Comments

• how can they do that (make away fans pay more) when they are in £20 equivalent seats to the North stand??
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]how can they do that (make away fans pay more) when they are in £20 equivalent seats to the North stand??

The equivalent seats in the Lower north will be £30 for those games.
  • The site was stating that at the end of June we had sold 4/5ths (strange way of calculating!) of the amount of season tickets for last year. How many did we sell last year?
  • 25 % more than this year
  • edited June 2008
    The figure given by the club at the start of last season was 17,500 - and there were further sales at Christmas.

There are all sorts of issues about what you count in this total, but the 80 per cent is like-for-like based on last season's cash sales (to be clear, that's number of sales not income. The income is probably slightly in front of that).
  • shouldn't that be 20% more than this year ?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]shouldn't that be 20% more than this year ?[/quote]

Not really.
    Say for arguements sake last years sales were 100.
    This year the have sold 80 (4/5ths)

Therefore last years 100 is 25per cent more than what has been sold so far.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]shouldn't that be 20% more than this year ?

Just as well you don't work in the financial sector large : - )
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]shouldn't that be 20% more than this year ?

Er no
  • This is the first season me and my dad are not renewing our S/Ts.I was hoping charlton would never have to become a club who charge these ridiculous prices for home matches.Now we have, i certainly wont be watching many home games next season!Some of the complete tosh we had to endure last season, i expect many other people are in the same situation!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]This is the first season me and my dad are not renewing our S/Ts.I was hoping charlton would never have to become a club who charge these ridiculous prices for home matches.Now we have, i certainly wont be watching many home games next season!Some of the complete tosh we had to endure last season, i expect many other people are in the same situation!

£20 for an adult seems good value to me but that's your choice.
  • what was the lowest price last year?
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]what was the lowest price last year?

Henry's ticket - cost him nowt!
    ;o)
  • No hold on a second henry.By the time the new season starts i would like to think that north upper will be sold out as regards to season tickets bar the individual single seats.The north east wont be to far off either and the majority of the the north west(where me and my dad were ST holders) is reserved for school kids, the rest of it is full of ST holders. That doesnt leave much else does it?Its not in terms of loyalty but after travelling from milton keynes to south east london every other week combined with the steep petrol prices and some of the terrible performances seen last year....!
    I think the club have taken the wrong route here!
    After reading many other clubs forums over the coarse of last season, i discovered that the main reason why people come to the valley is the cheap prices and i think we relied quite heavily on away fans last season, bet we dont get as many ipswich,bristol city and plymouth fans etc next season!
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]what was the lowest price last year?

;o)

I wish! Didn't even get a free directors coat off Joma : - (

it was £20 for nearly all the games and maybe £15 for Preston and WBA in the Cup

Incidentally I sit in the area of the ground with the highest percentage of renewals.

Big up the middle of the east Stand LOYAL SUPPORTERS
  • [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]No hold on a second henry.By the time the new season starts i would like to think that north upper will be sold out as regards to season tickets bar the individual single seats.The north east wont be to far off either and the majority of the the north west(where me and my dad were ST holders) is reserved for school kids, the rest of it is full of ST holders. That doesnt leave much else does it?Its not in terms of loyalty but after travelling from milton keynes to south east london every other week combined with the steep petrol prices and some of the terrible performances seen last year....!
    After reading many other clubs forums over the coarse of last season, i discovered that the main reason why people come to the valley is the cheap prices and i think we relied quite heavily on away fans last season, bet we dont get as many ipswich,bristol city and plymouth fans etc next season!

So what you are saying is you are not going to buy a season ticket and the seats you want will be too expensive or sold out and despite the fact there will be cheaper seats available the club havent catered for you and thats a disgrace? Am I right?
  • [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]No hold on a second henry.By the time the new season starts i would like to think that north upper will be sold out as regards to season tickets bar the individual single seats.The north east wont be to far off either and the majority of the the north west(where me and my dad were ST holders) is reserved for school kids, the rest of it is full of ST holders. That doesnt leave much else does it?Its not in terms of loyalty but after travelling from milton keynes to south east london every other week combined with the steep petrol prices and some of the terrible performances seen last year....!

As I said it's your choice.

There will be £20 seats available for the Swansea game, assuming they don't sell out. As we've sold 80% of the ST so far there could well be £20 available on a match by match basis but there might not be. That's why getting a season ticket is such good value.

Sorry but the offer of a very cheap ST and a possible freebie next year is still on the table. It's your choice to buy one or not but a staggered price structure for different parts of the ground and for different games in what plenty of other teams do.

If the main reason that away fans come to the Valley is the cheap prices then putting them up seems an excellent idea. Maybe we were underselling ourselves. I'd have a bet that Swansea will still sell most if not all of the Jimmy Seed and so will Reading.

There' s not much the club can do about the price of petrol although I agree some of the performances at home were terrible.
  • No im not saying its a disgrace at all, i just cant understand why they dont just keep it the same as last season.I think it will definately have an effect on away fans
  • [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]This is the first season me and my dad are not renewing our S/Ts.I was hoping charlton would never have to become a club who charge these ridiculous prices for home matches.Now we have, i certainly wont be watching many home games next season!Some of the complete tosh we had to endure last season, i expect many other people are in the same situation!

I am so used to going to Charlton on a Saturday and meeting chums for a pint - I am just not sure what I would do instead. The missus would most probably try and drag me shopping, so purely on that basis the £300 is very well spent. Also I have seen a lot worse that what we are experiencing at the moment, so must be immune to it ..........
  • Yer thats fair enough Henry!With the away fans though...maybe we were underselling BUT on the other hand you got to think..did certain away fans not attend say palace who charge more than us for away tickets, simply because they would rather buy a cheaper ticket when there playing charlton a week or two after.
    Swansea probably will sell out first game. But teams like preston,burnley,blackpool who brought good away followings last season will not bring as many next season.

In terms of home fans, i think the club did pretty well last season out of gate sales, thats including ST holders and matchday tickets, i just think it would of been better if the club just kept it the same as last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]This is the first season me and my dad are not renewing our S/Ts.I was hoping charlton would never have to become a club who charge these ridiculous prices for home matches.Now we have, i certainly wont be watching many home games next season!Some of the complete tosh we had to endure last season, i expect many other people are in the same situation![/quote]

I am so used to going to Charlton on a Saturday and meeting chums for a pint - I am just not sure what I would do instead. The missus would most probably try and drag me shopping, so purely on that basis the £300 is very well spent. Also I have seen a lot worse that what we are experiencing at the moment, so must be immune to it ..........[/quote]

Come on, i have seen some terrible performances in the past as well, but at least in past years we have had gutsy players!
    Never seen charlton team play with such a lack of heart and passion!Apart from the palace games.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]No im not saying its a disgrace at all, i just cant understand why they dont just keep it the same as last season.I think it will definately have an effect on away fans

So it is a good deal for home fans then?

Yes it will have an effect on away fans, they'll give us more money. That's why it's not staying the same.

A sold out Jimmy seed = 3,200 tickets.

At £20 that is £64k forgetting discounts. At £30 that is £96k.

And Charlton fans can still get fantastic value by buying a ST. If someone chooses to come game by game then tickets will most likely still be available somewhere in the ground but you might not get the same seats or the cheapest prices.

That's up to each individual to weigh up in their mind when they decide what to do.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]No im not saying its a disgrace at all, i just cant understand why they dont just keep it the same as last season.I think it will definately have an effect on away fans

It certainly will - they'll be paying more and we get more dough off them!

All that extra dough will then go towards the loyalty bonuses that we will be giving to Marcus and Amdy/Amady in recognition of their excellent service over the years. Plus, I think, an "Outstanding Contribution" award for Ianin Dowie is long overdue.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

;o)

Incidentally I sit in the area of the ground with the highest percentage of renewals.

Got the stats for other parts of the ground Ben>?
  • [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]Yer thats fair enough Henry!With the away fans though...maybe we were underselling BUT on the other hand you got to think..did certain away fans not attend say palace who charge more than us for away tickets, simply because they would rather buy a cheaper ticket when there playing charlton a week or two after.
    Swansea probably will sell out first game. But teams like preston,burnley,blackpool who brought good away followings last season will not bring as many next season.

In terms of home fans, i think the club did pretty well last season out of gate sales, thats including ST holders and matchday tickets, i just think it would of been better if the club just kept it the same as last season.

But who says the ticket prices for Preston or Burnley will all be £30. That' s the top price.

They may not bring as many next year in any case as it is not a new ground to them anymore but it is to Swansea.

Sorry CAFC SE7 but things don't stay the same. Just look at petrol prices.
  • Hmmm we shall see although im sure clubs wont bring as many fans to the valley as they did last season.
  • [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

;o)

Got the stats for other parts of the ground Ben>?

Yes, but Airman Brown will shoot me if I tell you ; - )

Ask him
  • [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]Hmmm we shall see although im sure clubs wont bring as many fans to the valley as they did last season.

So what is more important to Charlton. Higher income or higher away numbers?

I'd rather we had more dosh and they had less support personally

By charging less for say midweek games the numbers may not change that much.

Anyway go and have a chat with your dad. Get the calculator out and see how it works out and then buy a couple of season tickets. You know you want to.
  • Henry you said :-

'As we've sold 80% of the ST so far '

so we have sold 19K season ticket so far. Acutally sold them for cash well that is pretty impressive.
  • edited June 2008
    bet North is good