Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Strikers

edited June 2008 in General Charlton
How can we form a consident partnership next season with 8 forwards on the books? That is a least 2-3 more than we need. Lets say we are paying each player 5k a week thats 15k a week just under 800k a year for 3 players we just dont need.

Comments

• Early days,lets say Varney, Gray and Toddy are definite stayers. Fleetwood 1st reserve. So thats 4 strikers. McCleod is injured till Nov Oct, Bent won't be here - two down, Dickson reserve or out on loan and Iwelumo would be avaiable for sale. not woried abiout the striker situation,5 is a luxury but cn see it being down to that number.
  • edited June 2008
    At one stage towards the end of the season, we had out injured:

Todorov
    McLeod
    Dickson
    Gray
    Varney

Available to play:

Iwelumo

So from 6 strikers on the books, we had 1 available, so Pards brought in a 7th striker, Lita, on loan.
    Try telling Pards back then, that he had too many strikers.

As said above, Bent is certainly to be moved on, McLeod out injured until Christmas.
    I would imagine, Pards would start the season with 6 fit strikers, including 1 of them loaned out - and will select from 5.

If last season's injury situation should happen again, we still may not have sufficient options to cope.
    Ambrose at centre forward, anyone?
  • there are times Oggy when that LA Rovers thing sticks out a mile ! Ambrose at Centre forward being one dear lord !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Ha ha! GHater ........ I was meaning a bit of irony in there, to subtly take the piss even.

Of course, I forgot the smiley!
  • i don't think its right to send dickson out on loan again or leave him in the reserves. that happened last year before his injury, and he's 24. he deserves his chance. fleetwood may go out on loan, but i think he should get a chance too. iwelumo is the only one i'd let go, but wouldn't it be cruel to let him go after only one year when he scored a lot of goals for us......
  • edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]i don't think its right to send dickson out on loan again or leave him in the reserves. that happened last year before his injury, and he's 24. he deserves his chance. fleetwood may go out on loan, but i think he should get a chance too. iwelumo is the only one i'd let go, but wouldn't it be cruel to let him go after only one year when he scored a lot of goals for us......

So Fleetwood and Dickson to start as both have to be given a "chance"?

Whichever players are left at the club and fit have to show that they deserve a place. Age and what they did last year don't come into it.

Personally I can't see how Toddy can not be on the pitch or a least on the bench for every game when he is fit but he'll have to fight for that place with Gray, Varney and Big Chris if they all stay.
  • i think pards will use Toddy as an attacking midfielder
    he has good defence and can hold a ball up too
    maybe thats why we have not been linked to any midfielders yet
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]i don't think its right to send dickson out on loan again or leave him in the reserves. that happened last year before his injury, and he's 24. he deserves his chance. fleetwood may go out on loan, but i think he should get a chance too. iwelumo is the only one i'd let go, but wouldn't it be cruel to let him go after only one year when he scored a lot of goals for us......

So Fleetwood and Dickson to start as both have to be given a "chance"?

Whichever players are left at the club and fit have to show that they deserve a place. Age and what they did last year don't come into it.

Personally I can't see how Toddy can not be on the pitch or a least on the bench for every game when he is fit but he'll have to fight for that place with Gray, Varney and Big Chris if they all stay.
    not to start, but not thrown out on loan 2 games into the season
  • Can understand why we would want to sell our top scorer.......the mind boggles :-)