Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pictures of Rooney smoking

anyone else see these pictures.

I shouldn't be bothered but I am.

It grates the fact an England team with supposedly world class footballers are not at the Euro tournament and you see one of the players, part of that squad, swanning around with a fag in his hand.

This fella's meant to be a professional sportsman. BUT on the other hand it obviously doesn't affect his fitness, for Man U anyway,or doesn't seem to so am I making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Comments

• Options
    If he smokes like johan cruyff and then plays like him I am not bothered.
  • Options
    does not bother me what players do

As long as they do the business on the pitch what happens in private is up to them
  • Options
    It pisses me off that they don't seem too bothered that they aren't at the Euro's but couldn't really give a monkeys about Rooney smoking.

I doubt he'll be doing it after Fergie gets his him bak to pre season!
  • Options
    They might be bothered about it but what should they do all summer sit at home sulking.

Its happened time to move on and get on with things
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]If he smokes like johan cruyff and then plays like him I am not bothered.

fair point KAP 10 but he bloody doesn't that's my point.

Hardly scores a fecking goal in anger for England. Peter Crouch scores bundles and gets pelters.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Life must be a drag for Rooney, Here's the picture. I'm more interested in what Coleen's up to under the water :oO
  • Options
    It just proves how stupid he is.
  • Options
    As a professional sportsman he shouldn't be smoking, but that's his decision.
  • Options
    Maybe its just of those candy sweets that you used to be able to buy and pretend you were smoking.
  • Options
    Its his personal choice, Jimmy Greaves used to smoke like a chimney and at half time whilst at Spurs, as long as it doesnt affect his England performances, couldnt care less otherwise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not a particularly good role model in this increasingly less smoking tolerant world-

Does seem a bit stupid really......

Ho Hum......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]Not a particularly good role model in this increasingly less smoking tolerant world-

Does seem a bit stupid really......

Ho Hum......

He's on holiday being papped from 500 yards with a zoom lense, outside Old Trafford in a club suit on the way to a game different thing......He does deserve some kind of private life, whether you agree with smoking or not, and I dont.
  • Options
    footballers aren't employed for their brains or common sense so why make them role models, daft idea if you ask me.
  • Options
    I think it just shows how stupid he really is and if I was Fergie it would show how untrustworthy Rooney is too. He's supposed to be a professional athlete, this just shows he's not as professional as we'd like to believe.
  • Options
    3 on the trot apparently!

wasnt it someone on here saw luke young puffing away on B&H's the same night of our 5-1 stuffing at White Hart Lane.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: EGAddick[/cite]I think it just shows how stupid he really is and if I was Fergie it would show how untrustworthy Rooney is too. He's supposed to be a professional athlete, this just shows he's not as professional as we'd like to believe.
    Never gone out on the piss and come into work hungover then?

It's not very professional doing that either is it? Athlete or not.

The guy is on holiday, out of season and will be training hard again in a couple of weeks for the new season. I'm sure Ferguson wont mind if he gets himself to a level he was at last season and helps them to win the PL and CL again.
  • Options
    I doubt you would find top players from any other nation showing such contempt for their profession and fitness. No doubt the plonker likes a meat pie as well. I wonder why England are not currently at Euro 2008 ?
  • Options
    I reckon he was holding it for someone else who was swimming underwater.

That's what i'd tell my mum.
  • Options
    talk of role models

some should look closer to home the ones that smoke and have kids and go out on the p**s, whats the difference??

Are your kids likely to look up to you or some footballer, i would hope mine would look to me
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I doubt you would find top players from any other nation showing such contempt for their profession and fitness. No doubt the plonker likes a meat pie as well. I wonder why England are not currently at Euro 2008 ?
    I really would not be suprised to see many Italians and other nations who enjoy a few cigarettes and who cares if he eats a meat pie. Wayne Rooney probably runs more than any other player and his commitment and fitness (and possibly talent) is second to none to any other player in both the England and United squads.

And the reason we are not at Euro 2008 is because we are not good enough, or not as good as we think we are - take your pick.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's on holiday ... give him a break !
  • Options
    it's a stupid habit, and even more stupid for a professional athlete, but I won't criticise rooney for it, it's not his fault he's an idiot.
  • Options
    The man is a highly paid professional athlete. He should be aware that smoking will be of detriment to his ability to perform. No wonder top foreign players when coming to the premiership prefer to bring their own dieticians and fitness coaches with them. The larger and fag culture that still exists in the British game is the reason that none of the home nations are at Euro 2008. It our top players can`t be bothered to maintain top fitness levels then why do we expect them to show dedication to their profession in other areas i.e. training etc. The man is a total prat. Can`t wait for the reaction Cappello has although I just suspect it will be handled in private.
  • Options
    I think its utterly stupid he is smoking whilst sitting in a pool , if someone splashs him or he slips the fag will get wet and go out . He'd be better of smoking whilst sitting on a sun lounger downing a pina colada or long island iced tea IMHO
  • Options
    I'm more concerned with the lack of ashtray. Very inconsiderate for fellow swimmers.

And i reckon its not a cigarette, but a lollipop. He does like them....
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]The larger and fag culture that still exists in the British game is the reason that none of the home nations are at Euro 2008.
    Sorry, but quite frankly that is a load of bollocks. No offence.

I suppose the reason Scotland didnt beat France twice, didnt push Italy all the way and almost qualified for the tournament ahead of past world cup winners and current world cup winners is because they are all smokers and drinkers.

or

The Republic of Ireland finishing third in their group behind the current finalists and Czech Republic team who only conceded five goals all qualifying. Surely they would have won the group if they werent smoking and drinking Guiness all of the time.

or

Northern Ireland , finishing third in the Group and beating Spain, Denmark and Sweden in the process - i suppose everyone thought that would happen. Imagine if they were not affected by the terrible fag and lager culture eh? World Cup Winners.

or

England, yes they underperformed in the qualifying but if you think that we didnt qualify because all of the players are smokers and drinkers i think it is a bit deluded. The players don't play as a team - they are fit enough, they have the ability but they can't bring it together.

or

Wales - crap team, always have been but i presume if they did not smoke or drink lager they would have qualified for every major tournament in the last 30 years with the players they have got?
  • Options
    As a non smoker I cannot understand the attraction of smoking especially a professional sportsman who has to do a fair bit of running. Good luck to him and to all smokers the odds are not on your side.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: EGAddick[/cite]I think it just shows how stupid he really is and if I was Fergie it would show how untrustworthy Rooney is too. He's supposed to be a professional athlete, this just shows he's not as professional as we'd like to believe.
    Never gone out on the piss and come into work hungover then?

It's not very professional doing that either is it? Athlete or not.

The guy is on holiday, out of season and will be training hard again in a couple of weeks for the new season. I'm sure Ferguson wont mind if he gets himself to a level he was at last season and helps them to win the PL and CL again.

That is beside the point. We all know smoking damages your health, whether he smokes 1 a day or 20, he is still a professional athlete, paid, if not obliged, to keep his body in condition in season and out. Top level players are given strict guidelines to follow from personal health to keeping their body in shape in the close season. It is afterall what they are paid to do.

I think Fergie will mind, it's not a sackable offence but he'll probably incur his managers displeasure.

That said there are top level players who do smoke. Zidane started smoking towards the end of his career and was caught on camera at the last World Cup puffing away. Even some of the managers are not perfect role models for their players, who saw Joachim Low sneeking a crafty fag in the box whilst he was watching the Germany v Portugal game?

Personally I think it shows Rooney as untrustworthy more than anything else. Great player, but it's like watching players who can't keep down their weight (which you could argue he is guilty of too), that they are not disciplined.
  • Options
    I don't have a particular problem with Rooney but i think the booze culture is still alive and well with British players. And I don't think it's a coincidence that we under achieve. I do think our lads overrate themselves and aren't professional enough to be at their best. They believe their own hype and can't back it up.

Rooney's been pants for England lately - no way has he been world class. Same with Gerrard. These are players i like and admire but a bit more humility and professionalism would do them a world of good.
  • Options
    I'm sorry but if Rooney wants to smoke then it's up to him. I smoke and I get pissed off with non smokers (especially ex-smokers) telling me what I should do. I don't drink but I don't think it's my place to tell people not to drink. It's their choice. I know what smoking does to my body as I'm sure drinkers know what can happen to them. Admittedly if I smoke too much I don't tend to go round trying to start fights or puke up everywhere as can happen with a few too many shandys.

One of the biggest problems in this country is the self righteous do-gooders who want to tell everybody else what they should and shouldn't do.

A lot of the things we do in our day to day life have risks, we eat the wrong food, drink too much, smoke. Well in the end we all "live and die" by our choices so if Mr W Rooney of Manchester wants to smoke so f*cking what.

Lets ask Charlton to sack headgroundsman Colin Powell because he smokes.