Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Salary Capping

edited June 2008 in General Charlton
I see the NHL is the US do it.

Do you think football should adopt this approch?

DISCUSS

Comments

• Options
    Yes but not too sure if it can be done due to EU regs
  • Options
    not practical unless enforced on a global level and that aint gonna happen
  • Options
    The only sport where the salary cap works is when the sport is only played in 2 countries (maximun), e.g American sports, Aussie rules. The reason for this is that the Premier Competition in the world can impose the cap so that the competition is fair, knowing full well the players cannot go anywhere else. Rugby League has had a struggle with this since Union went pro as the players now have 'another' sport they can play.

If this was brought in the Premiership the players would simply move to Spain and Italy.
  • Options
    Yes it should happen. There should be a total salary cap, not per player. That way you can pay players what you like provided the sum of all players wages doesn't exceed the cap.
  • Options
    Completely unworkable IMHO. Might as well forget it.
  • Options
    The Premier League chief executive, Richard Scudamore, has rejected calls for a salary cap, insisting he "can't really ever see it happening" in England.

Michel Platini, the Uefa president, wants clubs to be limited to spending around 50-60% of their turnover on wages but Scudamore believes it would not benefit the game as a whole.

"We've looked at this for 10 years," he told BBC Radio 5's Sportsweek programme. "We keep looking at it and the practicalities of it and if you say 60% or 50% can be capped on wages, what it really does is absolutely lock in the natural order.

"I know Manchester United sit on top of our league today but they would be sitting on top of our league just about forever if you decided on that.

"It would help the big clubs far more than the small clubs. So if you have a small club who have got a benefactor, or who have got other ways of raising money or ways of funding, at least it gives them a chance to compete.

"The problem with a percentage-based salary cap is it would really, absolutely, lock in a far more natural order than we've got now. I can't really ever see it happening."

Obviously a percentage of turnover salary cap wouldn't work and the biggest teams would retain their position.

Interesting that Scudamore refers to things as they are as " the natural order". Is it really the natural order for arsenal, liverpool, man utd and chelsea to be where they are? Or is it the product of a unbalanced, unfair system?

I would love to see a total salary cap like Bing mentions, assuming EU regulations allow and that it is the same internationally not just in one country. At the moment some/most NFL teams are deciding which of their top players they can afford to keep to stay under the salary cap and plenty of good players will be allowed to leave in one way or another. How great would it be for competition if man utd and that lot had to do the same. Shall we keep Ronaldo, Rooney or Tevez?

I'm really looking forward to when the PL bubble finally bursts and scudamore's 'natural order' is broken.
  • Options
    Scudamore says that salary caps are unworkable...yet wants the 39th game, something most people also think unworkable.