Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cardiff - The surprise package this season ?

edited June 2008 in General Charlton
For those that haven't been, this season is the last chance you'll get to tick Ninian Park off your lists as Cardiff will then move to their new stadium for the 09/10 season.

Notice they have had a bid of £2.5m turned down for Rangers Kris Boyd, so despite their massive debts, it looks like they're going to go for it. Had a decent core last season, but desperately lacked firepower, and if they can add that they may well be the suprise package.

Comments

• Where are they building that ground? Does look impressive though.

Think they haver the potential to be a big club, Swansea and the Bristols are they only real teams around them and i was really shocked to see them bidding that amount (with a bigger bid in the pipeline apparently). Where are they getting the money from? Surely the cup run is not that lucrative.
  • edited June 2008
    They sold Ramsey to Arsenal did they not?

I wouldn't worry about their finances, not when they have Peter Risdale in charge.
  • I presume the Ramsey money is being ploughed straight back in, rather than to pay off debt. Worrying tactic, but this is Risdale.

Can see them giving everything to get in the Prem in the next two years. If it comes off, they have the potential to go on and be a top 8 club in my eyes.

If it doesn't though, they could be in a whole heap of trouble.
  • edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I presume the Ramsey money is being ploughed straight back in, rather than to pay off debt. Worrying tactic, but this is Risdale.

Can see them giving everything to get in the Prem in the next two years. If it comes off, they have the potential to go on and be a top 8 club in my eyes.

If it doesn't though, they could be in a whole heap of trouble.

I think the debt to Sam Hammmanannanan is long term and not due to be repaid for a few years at least. The court case, which CCFC won, was about when the debt was due. Sam wanted it then. Cardiff said 2012 I believe.

Still a risk but they would have potential. Not sure about top 8. One club city but not that big a population area and not exclusively a football city.

There was an excellent vox pop before the cup final by a cardiff supporting singer or actor. About how being a City fan was making a statement about who you were (ie not a middle class or rural rugby fan), what you wore and what music you listened to.
  • edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Not sure about top 8. One club city but not that big a population area and not exclusively a football city.

There was an excellent vox pop before the cup final by a cardiff supporting singer or actor. About how being a City fan was making a statement about who you were (ie not a middle class or rural rugby fan), what you wore and what music you listened to.

That's why i think they have massive potential, because if they achieved prem they have a massive untouched potential as they would need to become more 'mainstream'
  • For a supposed "sleeping giant" there home support is s**t!! Always around the 12k mark and no clubs near by!

Scum!
  • I hope they enjoy what Im concerned will be a short, but exciting, ride on the Risdale Rollercoaster
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Where are they building that ground? Does look impressive though.

Think they haver the potential to be a big club, Swansea and the Bristols are they only real teams around them and i was really shocked to see them bidding that amount (with a bigger bid in the pipeline apparently). Where are they getting the money from? Surely the cup run is not that lucrative.

It's being built on the other side of the road to Ninian Park. Saw it this season.
  • in the last 3 years city have spent £1million and received 2 £20+ million. they made between £6 + £7 million from the cup run. people down here are asking where has all that money gone. cardiff has a population of just under 300k but cardiff isnt really a cardiff club, its for the whole of south east wales which has a population of 2million plus. 80% of the people who watch cardiff dont come from the city but come from the cardiff and newport valleys.