Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rome

As I value all your opinions so so much. Am off to Rome next week........

Anyone here been? Apart from the obvious tourist stuff, what else should myself & 12th Man be looking to see?

Anyone find a nice bar/restaurant tucked out the way?

Thanks awfully.

xx

Comments

• Options
    Great city but avoid the central train station area. Like Kings Cross but better dressed.

was a while ago so can't remember any restaurants etc but there are loads and it's well worth just going for a wander and see where you end up
  • Options
    hi there,

went there in feb with the girlfriend. had an amazing time. unfortunately it is quite expensive to eat out and drink. we found a lovely pizzeria down via del corso that had an orange sign.

use the site seeing bus, very interesting.

use the trams aswell as they are cheap and reliable.

you will have a fantastic time.
  • Options
    go to the opera out there,out of this world
  • Options
    i'm off to Rome first week in July. Been before and found the restaurants a bit naff to be honest.

Rome is not known for its food, but you would have still expected better in Italy!

if you find any gems, let me know!
  • Options
    mind the pickpockets, esp on the tube. Only there for a day whilst the Cruise ship was anchored off the coast but still had my wallet nicked and very clever they were too. Keep it in a zipped pocket or somewhere well hidden. Otherwise a lovely City, Spanish Steps, Pantheon and Colliseum were the best.
  • Options
    Look after your valuables. We had EVERYTHING except our clothes stolen from the boot of our hire car last week in Milan.
  • Options
    cheers everyone for the tips!
    Will definitely report back SE10
    xx
  • Options
    Make sure you do the Trevi Fountains at night..... spectacular.
  • Options
    Absoultely beautiful place - defo in my top 5. Beware the pickpockets as others have said. I was mugged at the top of the Spanish Steps.

From what I remember you can't go wrong with a pizzeria tucked away somewhere. The food is excellent, and you can rarely go wrong with the house wine.
  • Options
    We found an amazing restaurant, no idea of the name or the road, but it was beautiful. they gave us champagne whilst we waited for our table, then had the best veal ever, and had this pianist playing songs, he looked like Fabian Barthez, as we were leaving he started playing "here, there and everywhere" by the beatles, so we stood by the piano whilst he sang it. was just the perfect end to a perfect evening.
    we also went into a pub that was full of neo-nazi type skinhead people. bit of an eye opener, its great just to wander around really. the back street places are cheaper and better than the pizzerias that have photos of their food outside.
    there aren't many pubs around either, they are sort of cafe bar type things, and we walked for ages to find a pub that showed the football. (Charlton were at home to Villa on the day we were there)
    try and get to Stadio Olympico as well if you can, we went to the derby, but they may do tours?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What is it about the continent and pick pockets. I know we have some here but I have never been pickpocketed on london. But last week when in Barcelona they tried once but I caught the guys hand before it went into my pocket. But my mate was done the previous night - took his card but not the money which was very strange. The same can be said in Madrid and Paris. There must be schools for pickpockets?
  • Options
    If MCS does not approve of the place don't go there :-)
  • Options
    Got a good hiding from their wonderful police in 1997 at the world cup qualifier so will never go back there. It still hurts.
  • Options
    Loved it there.

Colosseum and the assorted ruins are an absolute must to visit.

We stayed on the Via Veneto and at the top of that there is a Harry's Bar....that was pretty smart and also where all the beautiful people hang out (Via Veneto is extremely exclusive I now gather).
    Also - just down the bottom of the Via Veneto, past the Boscolo hotel, was a really nice Ice Cream parlour that we went to every night...more flavours than you can shake a stick at!

I got engaged in the Sistine Chapel so it will always have a special place in my heart