Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Credit card scam beware

edited June 2008 in Not Sports Related
I have a Halifax Mastercard, checked my on line transactions this morning, 30000000 Indian Roupees have been withdrawn with a £3 handling charge. A lot of Roupees thankfully only £17!

Got thro' to the fraud dept one of first questions asked:- did I use Shell or Esso petrol stations. Well I use two shell regularly and only. Alledgedly Shell have had some new card equipment installed which has skimmed details off for illicit use. Advice I was given was to avoid Shell petrol stations which given the tanker driver's protest isn't too difficult.

Anyone else had a similar problem? Sounded like a big issue for Halifax Mastercard.

Happened to me once before too when my card was skimmed at Heathrow Express (crook was finally caught) got a call one morning asking if I had just spent £3000 on Jewellery in Amsterdam and breakfast in Valencia!

Comments

• I think the key is to get on to the card company as soon as you have the slightest inkling of a problem, that way you ensure that you don't get charged.
  • Plus, always pay by cash in restaurants if possible.

my dad had his card skimmed in Sidcup after he let them take it away to pay the bill.

The next thing he knew he had bought a load of jewellery in Rome!

The bank spotted that it was unusual and called to ask him if he'd been shopping there - luckily they sorted it all out.

However, they hardly ever investigate these occurences, so that's why people do it!
  • Plus, always pay by cash in restaurants if possible.

Especially overseas, ideally never let your CC out of your sight.
  • I had my card cloned after using the old Shell garage in Woolwich opposite the Waterfront. They did £1500 in Mango, River Island and Ted Baker. So the company knew it couldn't be me.
  • cloned at Esso in my local town. Virgin called me within 35 mins to cancel my card
  • Curious why the CC companies don't make expensive adverts warning everyone about Shell petrol stations, rather than just telling individuals after the horse has bolted...
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Curious why the CC companies don't make expensive adverts warning everyone about Shell petrol stations, rather than just telling individuals after the horse has bolted...
    They'd be sued. Can you imagine what would happen if they were advertising that a giant multi-national can't be trusted to take a credit card payment?
  • I kind of guessed that, but if it's a fact, why shouldn't they warn the public, and save all the stress and worry for the individual? Oh yes, because huge corporate monsters are more important than people...

Grrr
  • Many of the fraud scams at petrol stations here in The UK are connected with The Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka. Fact!
  • My girlfriend and me were done three times in 4 months. They said it was probably a petrol station skimming our cards. The only one we use is the BP garage opposite Dartford's Princes Park!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Lost Soul[/cite]My girlfriend and me were done three times in 4 months. They said it was probably a petrol station skimming our cards. The only one we use is the BP garage opposite Dartford's Princes Park!

Lads at work use that petrol station and have had thier cards done last year. My advice would be paid cash for fuel ao pay at the pump.
  • There are two schools of thought re the Tamil Tigers methods.
    Many of these petrol stations are of course operated by Sri Lankans.
    Some of these operatives are undoubtedly in cahoots with the Tamil organisations and perform the scam quite happily, whilst it's thought that others are forced into this situation by their families back home being threatened if they don't conform.
    It makes you laugh, everyone knows what's going on, it's become something of a national scandal and yet it's allowed to continue day after day, week after week, year after year.
    Now just why is that?