Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fishing

The thread "Other popular sports you dislike..." led me to thinking about fishing as I've got mixed feelings about it. On the one hand it seems as barbaric as any other bloodsport. Especially now that the old anglers' favourite argument about fish not being able to feel pain has been roundly and scientifically refuted. On the other I've been quite impressed by the arguments of some fishermen that it is only the good work of angling clubs that keep our waterways habitable in the first place. Fishing, good thing or evil?

Comments

• Options
    Good
    A few mates all night drinking etc
  • Options
    if there is a more pointless or boring activity then I've yet to find it...
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]if there is a more pointless or boring activity then I've yet to find it...[/quote]

Tiddly winks?

I dont enjoy fishing but out with mates drinking eating having a laugh is whats it is all about
  • Options
    Good. Taking my boy for the first time this weekend.
  • Options
    Something I'd really like to get into. Never done it seriously.

What a lovely thought, sitting on some tranquil riverbed in the country, sun shining, flask of tea and TMS in your earpiece.

Once the kids are off about on their own I may well try it.
  • Options
    Can't see the point in it myself.

If I want to go outside with my mates eating and drinking, I'll go to a pub with a garden.
  • Options
    quailty the best way to spend a weekend IMO better than footie

as with all blood sports i think there is nowt wrong with them i know that it is not everyones cup of tea but i would like to just get on with what i enjoy doing without people telling me it is wrong or barbaric (which was what some dirty looking oik tried to do on the river lea once) it is fishing for fecks sake

the comment about our waterways is spot on without the license money they would be in disaray due to the lack of government funding
  • Options
    Spot on NLA we have some blinding fishing /beer ups trips just a shame we never catch anything i am going on friday
  • Options
    Great fun, even if you are sitting there for hours and hours and hours and you haven't caught a thing. Generealy I'm not one for patience but fishing does teach it. Like Chirpy it's something I'd really like to get into and take more seriously. You do come across some right Know-Alls though ;-)
  • Options
    Perhaps a CL fishing trip is in order?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2008
    We go to Deal sometimes and stroll along the pier where there are usually plenty of fisherman equipped with some alcoholic beverages to sustain them while they are there.

I can see it might have a certain appeal although i've hardly ever fished myself.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]We go to Deal sometimes and stroll along the pier where there are usually plenty of fisherman equipped with some alcoholic beverages to sustain them while they are there.

I can see it might have a certain appeal although i've hardly ever fished myself.

Reminds me of a scene from the Likely Lads. Terry is sat on the pier fishing when Bob strolls up. "Hello kidda", he's say's, "I'd give you a beer, but I've only got six".
  • Options
    Your not wrong fishing and beer go together come on smudge a charlton lifers fishing trip is well in order
  • Options
    I used to be persuaded by the 'fishermen as conservationists' argument until I moved to a riverside house and saw all the shit that some (though of course, not all) of them throw about the banks and into the river itself...

Some are quite clued up though and are interesting conversation, but too many are dickheads.
  • Options
    I'm also a keen angler,maybe we should organise an outing.