Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SLP story on Thatcher

edited June 2008 in General Charlton
http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/sport.cfm?id=8615

Comments

• Options
    Does this we can go back to booing him when he plays us like every other club does in the country
  • Options
    did we stop booing sure that was the norm for most games last season
  • Options
    no great loss, we have plenty of left back cover.
  • Options
    yeeeeeessssssssss! please go. anywhere.

worst player by a mile since he came back in for Youga and that is saying something. Made Campbell Ryce look like Ronaldo when he should have bullied him.
  • Options
    was he that bad?
  • Options
    When he came in last season he was solid, assured and absolutely fearsome in the air. Bolton away, case example, ran the show.

This season after he came back in for Youga, I saw him at Plymouth (didn't jump, they scored), Barnsley (got ripped to pieces by JCR, at fault for 2 goals almost singlehandedly) and he was ABYSMAL at QPR.

Practically every team that scored against us was down their right after he came back. Totally lost the plot and with Youga, not needed. Bet he'll be on a wage as well, why he's not taking his reduced terms very well - go and fleece someone else mate!
  • Options
    He is fine but we have Youga and Basey on the books and surely we want to maximise their opportunities, so in that sense it is good if BT moves on.
  • Options
    The South London Press understands that the 32-year-old defender has been offered a new deal on reduced terms, and is considering his options.

Which means his agent is looking for a better deal elsewhere, we'll know pretty soon if he finds it.
  • Options
    Pardew's worst signing IMO
  • Options
    blimey i quite liked him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Me too - he certainly steadied the ship last season.

Worst than McLeod or Gray? I don't think so and a lot, lot cheaper.
  • Options
    Sorry for being pedantic, but I did say worst since he came back into the team Chicago...

not the single WORST player of the season for me, but summed up our disappointing "run in" with his incompetence - you honestly had to be at Barnsley to see little Jamal fry him alive, even resorting to trying to rugby tackle him into touch for the third
  • Options
    I understand that ISLS - it was Ledge's opinion that I was surprised at.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I also thought he did well when he came in last season....added a bit of steel at the back....funny how people's views can differ so drastically
  • Options
    Some people are going over the top. Excellent when we first signed him, good bit of buisness by Pardew, to get rid of Troare who was worst and get thatcher on the cheap but very limited last seaonn. Doesn't get forward either. I hope he goes as Youga and Basey seem to fit the bill but as for Thatcher being worst signing at £100,000, think there are a few who can challenge him for that!!!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Mr-Invisible[/cite] as for Thatcher being worst signing at £100,000, think there are a few who can challenge him for that!!![/quote]

that's not what it was reported as, and if the report was true then for an injury-prone hothead over 30, then it was very poor value:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/6251225.stm
  • Options
    I don't know if he was very poor value ......invariably he was adequate but he was always going to get done for pace by any/every winger worthy of the name.

This lack of pace, means he was reluctant to get forward (even though he has decent crossing ability).

Last season in the Prem, we saw him skinned home to Sheff Utd for their equaliser and the very next game away to Blackburn where he caught his winger from behind twice, not so much with malice but simply because he was too slow.
    2 yellow cards = 1 sending off, and that in itself proves his liability.

This season after his long term injury, he was basically solid enough but time and time again any winger with quick feet would turn him inside out.

Slow feet, no pace, 33 next birthday: time up Ben, thanks.
  • Options
    Good riddance. A second rate defender and not even much of a hard man.

Go back to the Spanners where you belong.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    On trial at Ipswich

Thatcher
  • Options
    one i forgot on my list that have left the club
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was dismayed when we bought him, although I understood the reason why, especially when we got rid of Traore at the same time. It was a gamble to bring him in, his temprement, age and injuries were always likely to count against him.
  • Options
    Hated his signing, not a Charlton player, glad he seems to be going.