Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny Baker on 606

edited June 2008 in General Charlton
I hate the bloke, the most overrated man on radio IMO. However I thought to myself that you cannot criticise unless you listen.
My god the blokes got worse. So self indulgent and arrogant. Moaned straight away that he only had an hour then proceeded to waffle on for 11 minutes before the first caller.
Why does he try to be so clever? He's not, he's a prat.

I've now given up.

Comments

• Options
    Spot on Chirpy. Spot on.
  • Options
    Baker is a million times better then the usual shit for brains they usually have.
  • Options
    Bit up his own arse for me.
  • Options
    I like him, especially when he does his double-act with Danny Kelly.
  • Options
    There is and has only ever been one decent presenter - Ray Stubbs.
  • Options
    Danny Baker is a bit like the Simpsons. Very funny, very clever but goes over the head of most people.
  • Options
    I have to say that I've always been a big fan of Danny Baker and I remember listening to him back in the day with Danny Kelly on 6-0-6.

Last night was a welcome change from muppets like Lovejoy, and it reminded me how talented a radio person Danny Baker is.
  • Options
    Most of the stuff with Danny Kelly was brilliant, before they were unceremoniously dumped from 6-0-6. Great to see him back on 6-0-6. His shows dont have all the mock seriousness associated with 6-0-6s other presenters. Its a hard programme to listen to as another mislocated united or liverpool fan phones up to complain about their striker who scored his 25th goal of the season yet is awful and shouldnt be seen in the same shirt as the greats ...

Thankfully Baker can inject some decent humour into the programme which has got to be a good thing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]Most of the stuff with Danny Kelly was brilliant, before they were unceremoniously dumped from 6-0-6. Great to see him back on 6-0-6. His shows dont have all the mock seriousness associated with 6-0-6s other presenters. Its a hard programme to listen to as another mislocated united or liverpool fan phones up to complain about their striker who scored his 25th goal of the season yet is awful and shouldnt be seen in the same shirt as the greats ...

Thankfully Baker can inject some decent humour into the programme which has got to be a good thing.

That's what's good about Baker. It's not about "It was the ref's fault" or "I say sack the manager" phone calls.

The stuff he did like "what's the most dangerous place you've ever played football?" was great when someone rang in about playing on a mine field.

It's different and unpredictable so people who think Jonathan Palace is good obviously aren't going to get it.
  • Options
    At least he's better than David Mellor...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2008
    Don't forget - 606 is Danny Baker's baby. All those other presenters from Mellor to Spoony stole his show and ruined it. Using the phone-in format to promote infantile post match analysis of the sort that is far better done by club forums on the internet (because it's fine if they're discussing your club at length but generally tedious when talking about others). Baker's genius was to use the phone in format for inane pub-style chatter, which was inclusive of anyone not just the supporters of big clubs. Consequently he had great topics. My favourite Baker subject was ridiculous footballing tatoos including the Wolves fan who wanted "Thriller" tattoed up his old boy, but due to his incomprehensible accent ended up with "Villa" instead. Also, the thick Chelsea fan who did a home-made tattoo with a sewing needle and a bottle of quink and ended up with the word Cheslea indelibly marked on the back of his hand. Fantastic stuff. I think the only footballing phone in to come close was It's Round and It's White with Tom Watt. Welcome back Danny.
  • Options
    Good comments all round. I personally think he is on another level compared to other broadcasters, very articulate and original and Henry's comment re: The Simpsons isn't too far wide of the mark.

However, Chirpy's opinion is very valid too - I was listening last night and good point about moaning about only having an hour and wasting so much of it. Sometimes all that is good about DB is undone by his self-appreciation. He walks a fine line between originality and self-indulgence and I've quite often got fed up and switched off.
  • Options
    You could have this tosspot presenting

No love, no joy

WSC 250 Dec 07
    Helen Chamberlain’s former sidekick has celebrated leaving Soccer AM for 6.06 with a book. Taylor Parkes wants to know why anyone – anyone – thought it was a good idea to expose the presenter’s ego and prejudices across 288 smugly written pages

Soccer AM is a bad memory: hungover mornings in other people’s flats, disturbed by a crew of whooping simpletons, the slurping of pro and ex-pro rectums, cobbled-together comedy that made me long for the glory days of Skinner and Baddiel’s old shit. Yet Tim Lovejoy himself, with his fashionably receding hair and voice oddly reminiscent of Rod Hull’s, I remember only as an averagely blokey TV presenter – in fact, one of the few averagely blokey TV presenters to make me clack my tongue in irritation, rather than buff my Gurkha knife. Other than as a namesake of The Simpsons’ self-serving man of the cloth, he barely registered; just a bland, blond ringmaster in a cocky circus of crap. Almost a surprise, then, to find that his new book is not just ­tedious in the extreme, it is utterly vile.

Chopped into “chapters” that barely fill a page, in a font size usually associated with books for the partially sighted, Lovejoy on Football is part autobiography, part witless musing, and one more triumph for the crass stupidity rapidly replacing culture in this country. Hopelessly banal and nauseatingly self-assured, smirkingly unfunny, it’s a £300 T-shirt, a piss-you-off ringtone, a YouTube clip of someone drinking their mate’s vomit. Its smugness is a corollary of its vacuity. I hope it makes you sick.

First, it’s clear that being Tim Lovejoy requires a very special blend of arrogance and ignorance. When he’s not listing his media achievements with a breathtaking lack of guile, he’s sneering at those “sad” enough to take an interest in football history, revealing his utter cluelessness about life outside the Premier League (in a section called “Know Your Silverware”, he refers to “League Three”) and making sundry gaffes, major and minor. He names Johan Cruyff as his all-time favourite player, then admits he’s only seen that five-second World Cup clip of the Cruyff turn. Grumbling about footballers’ musical tastes, he complains that “all you’ll hear blasting out of the team dressing room is R&B, rather than what the rest of the country is listening to” – by which he means indie bands. Everywhere there are jaw-dropping illustrations of insularity, self-­satisfaction and a startlingly small mind.

There’s something sinister here, too: beamingly positive, thrilled by wealth, too pleased with himself to ask awkward questions, Tim Lovejoy is the football fan Sepp Blatter has been waiting for. Roman ­Abramovich’s darling young one. Not least for his complacency: his lack of understanding of how football works (and doesn’t work) is best illustrated in a section called “Give Your Chairman A Break”, in which he defends “that Thai bloke at Man City”, and implores us to “look at the Glazers... you would have thought they were nothing but a bunch of Americans intent on buying the club and selling off Old Trafford to Tesco judging by the howl of protests from the fans. Within two seasons though, they had won the title and built a squad the envy of Europe.” Bang your head off the wall at such unreviewable stupidity – Tim’s infantile ideas of shunning “negativity” prod him into precisely the kind of thinking that has had such hugely negative influence on the game. “Look across our national team” – he means England, by the way – “and there isn’t one player who wouldn’t walk into any side in Europe... why is it, before every tournament, we start believing we’re overrated?”

And, surprise: Lovejoy is as wretched a starfucker as could be inferred from his television shows. Everyone in football is Tim’s mate (and here we have pictures to prove it, stars looking confused in his grinning, over-familiar presence, frozen by an arm around the shoulders). He’ll “even watch the occasional game of rugby now, because I’m friends with a lot of the players like Will Greenwood, Matt Dawson, Lawrence ­Dallaglio and Austin Healy”.

It’s perhaps telling that among the many anecdotes offered here, the most heartwarming (and least surprising) involves Tim getting clattered hard by Neil Ruddock in a charity game; even in this version of the story, there’s nothing to suggest Razor meant it affectionately. Still, our man is blinded by quite astonishing hubris, reprinting a photo of a banner at Anfield reading “LOVEJOY SUCKS BIG FAT COCKS” with a glee that is nothing like self-deprecation. “The hardest thing about leaving ­Soccer AM,” he says regretfully, “is the thought that I might no longer be influencing the game.” True, it’ll be tough. But who knows? Perhaps the game will struggle on.

It’s not that there was ever a time when football on telly wasn’t in the hands of dimwits, poseurs and blowhards. It’s not that Lovejoy is significantly more objectionable than TV shits of ages past. The point is, in his own mind and that of the powers that be, he’s one of us. He is us. Savour that. God help us.

• Options
    Quality article Rothko
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Lovejoy to me was a Johnny Vaughan wanna be, in the same mould as Simon Dee and remember what happened to him. He was someone trying to be witty and comical but with the timing and subtlety of a fart in a space suit.
    He never failed to make me cringe with embarrassment, Soccer AM was a insult to ones intelligence IMHO, a missed opportunity if ever there was one.
    I would watch it for a few minutes from time to time in morbid curiosity, just to see if they were dishing up the same old crap and yep, they were.
    Slightly improved with the new guy at the helm but still not on my must watch list. Helen Chamberlain battles on manfully it must be said,if that's the right word.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Harvey Gardens[/cite]Don't forget - 606 is Danny Baker's baby. All those other presenters from Mellor to Spoony stole his show and ruined it. Using the phone-in format to promote infantile post match analysis of the sort that is far better done by club forums on the internet (because it's fine if they're discussing your club at length but generally tedious when talking about others). Baker's genius was to use the phone in format for inane pub-style chatter, which was inclusive of anyone not just the supporters of big clubs. Consequently he had great topics. My favourite Baker subject was ridiculous footballing tatoos including the Wolves fan who wanted "Thriller" tattoed up his old boy, but due to his incomprehensible accent ended up with "Villa" instead. Also, the thick Chelsea fan who did a home-made tattoo with a sewing needle and a bottle of quink and ended up with the word Cheslea indelibly marked on the back of his hand. Fantastic stuff. I think the only footballing phone in to come close was It's Round and It's White with Tom Watt. Welcome back Danny.

Spot on. What about the woman who had slept with the footballers. That was funny and the boy with the wooden bow tie in Dundee Utd Colours.
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]Good comments all round. I personally think he is on another level compared to other broadcasters, very articulate and original and Henry's comment re: The Simpsons isn't too far wide of the mark.

However, Chirpy's opinion is very valid too - I was listening last night and good point about moaning about only having an hour and wasting so much of it. Sometimes all that is good about DB is undone by his self-appreciation. He walks a fine line between originality and self-indulgence and I've quite often got fed up and switched off.

I agree (apart from the bit about Chirpy's opinion being valid bit which clearly it isn't : - ) ) as he does drift off into left field. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I also think he needs a good foil to play off which is why Danny Kelly was good with him but Kelly is terrible on his own
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I can't see the problem with the fella(Lovejoy). Just a cheeky chappie.
    Some people are so jealous.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving Spot on. What about the woman who had slept with the footballers. That was funny and the boy with the wooden bow tie in Dundee Utd Colours.

I can hear Danny's voice now incredulously repeating, "A wooden bow tie, a wooden bow tie..... ladies and gentlemen, a wooden bow tie".

I personally liked the best names for non-league clubs; A3 Milan being a wonderful example from the Hampshire area.
  • Options
    Chirpy, are you in some extraordinary way suggesting that I'm jealous of Tim Fooking Lovejoy?
    Whoa up there pal, you're way off the pace with that one!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    If ever there was a case of 'Simpson's' syndrome - it was DB's first 'football own goals and gaffs video'. Pure brilliance.

My bruv and I used to be in stitches watching it but when you quoted them it was pure tumbleweed - or maybe that was just the company we used to keep!!!

"...he was caught in two minds - Abbot's and Costello's." A corker!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some like people to talk about football in a Music Hall variety act way, and some like people to just talk about football.
    To name each country at Euro 2008 after callers pets names is just not up my street.
    I'd rather just have a few experts talking about the games and dump the callers alltogether.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    At it again last night.

" Right, I want people to own minutes of the remaining fixtures....when Germany play Portugal or whatever, in the 18th minute I want Steve of Wanstead to say I own this part of the match"

????
    Danny you're trying too hard to be funny.

You were funny once - when you fell down that grass bank on It'll Be Allright On The Night 47.

As I said earlier :
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Some like people to talk about football in a Music Hall variety act way, and some like people to just talk about football.
    To name each country at Euro 2008 after callers pets names is just not up my street.
    /
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]At it again last night.

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much. At it again Chirpy? Go on admit it, you secretly find it too entertaining too miss don't you?

Remember this was the man who helped make Janet Street Porter famous with 20th Century Box and the televisual pioneer that single-handedly resurected Terry Nutkins' career with Pets Win Prizes. For these acts alone he should have got a Perrier award. He is a comedy icon. Of course I share your misgivings about his spannerishness, but funny? Of course he is.
  • Options
    more funny than your namesake on Talksport who is absolute shite. If it is you, which I doubt as he's a Spud, you're still shite.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]more funny than your namesake on Talksport who is absolute shite. If it is you, which I doubt as he's a Spud, you're still shite.[/quote]

you tell him.........
  • Options
    http://www.skysports.com/socceram/story/0,21644,13873_3676710,00.html

new bloke taking over from andy goldstein on soccer am. seems average.
  • Options
    Always felt that once Danny Baker left 606 it wa snever the same again.

If you still appreciate his humour then tune into BBC London every weekday , 3-5pm for his show. Just as good as 606 was if you are into that sort of thing. (which I am)
  • Options
    good article, Rothko. Lovejoy is truly one of the most charmless and ill-informed people to ever be associated with the game. That thing he did on the US league (when Beckham first went), was beyond belief. He literally hadn't even bothered to look up the team names and yet the chunt has the unbelievable front to go on about his influence on the game. An absolute turd bath.
  • Options
    Danny Baker is a fat millwallTwat . Fact that he took the piss out of us for donkeys years till Nillwall plummeted and thats the only reason we still dont get shit off him. I cant look or hear that guy without thinking of all the years he took the piss.

I shouldnt have stopped the "mexican" from stabbing theTwat in the Saigon restuarant in 88.

Love him or hate him ? errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ?????????????????????????????????????? yep its hate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Danny Kelly[/cite]

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much. At it again Chirpy? Go on admit it, you secretly find it too entertaining too miss don't you?

Hardly.
    I'll be checking up on the cretin again next time though.