Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

takeover

2»

Comments

• edited June 2008
    Some of us probably wouldn't be able to afford it if the prices soared whether we wanted to go or not.
  • i stated in a previous thread 500 quids my limit at the moment and at qpha qp ha qp ha ha ha ha that would mean 1 more year proberly not good and totally unaceptable
  • Be nice to get Becks on loan though....
  • not wrong there tel
  • I think we're putting a bit too much on a snide remark in the Mail which in any case refers to a PAST event.

If we are to even put any trust in the comment then it says that Philip Anschutz has already said no.

Would he , or to be more accurate his corporation AEG, come back in? who knows?

The physical location and the fact that they are an entertainments group that owns sports franchises (and I use that word deliberatly) mean that any such story will be given creadance.

Many will think it is true

Many will hope it is true

That doesn't make it true
  • If Im honest I think a take over and a never ended bucket of money would be blinding.... I think as a top ten London club... and a a top 30 club in the country we are very attractive to buy outs.... also we havnt had the buy out scenario yet either. I agree with the views on here that the club needs development, absolutely needs it we cant sustain it without a major backer.... otherwise we are the ipswich, the coventry, the leicester, as in one bad manager and game over...

we should embrace a sellout... as long as the buyer has DEEEP pockets...
  • This all depends on which example he chooses to follow of other American entrepeneurs- if he was to conform to the persona of Randy Lerner, then that would have been good news as he understands the game and Villa seem to have improved both on-and-off the pitch- and they are solvent.

Now, as for the Glazers- well, Rod Liddle mentioned in the Times over the weekend that Manchester United are reported to have a debt of £1.5 BILLION- serviced by interest payments in the region of £100 million a year. Might explain why they may be so keen to dispense with Christiano Ronaldo although the reported price tag of £100 million is just a drop in the ocean when you look at the mess they are in.

If I remember correctly, this was the case with Real Madrid a few years back. It was said at the time if they had finished mid-table or were relegated during that time, they would have been wound up overnight- ditto if Man Yoo were to lose their way in similar fashion in the next few years.

How does the Glazer family sleep at night?
  • Thats the same Real Madrid that had their debts wiped out by the City buying their training ground then giving them a new one! Manchester have a habit of doing similar, Eastlands give to City for nothing... But thats not the answer.

Just wait till the next TV deal coming up. A few clubs will push for them to hold individual rights to their games. Man Utd will wipe out debt in one season... the rest of us are however stuffed.
  • [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]If Im honest I think a take over and a never ended bucket of money would be blinding.... I think as a top ten London club... and a a top 30 club in the country we are very attractive to buy outs.... also we havnt had the buy out scenario yet either. I agree with the views on here that the club needs development, absolutely needs it we cant sustain it without a major backer.... otherwise we are the ipswich, the coventry, the leicester, as in one bad manager and game over...

we should embrace a sellout... as long as the buyer has DEEEP pockets...

Deep pockets usually mean that it takes a while to get the money out. It's not how rich an individual or corporation is but how much they will spend and how. I have no views on AEG either way and until they make an offer there is little point in speculating but don't let the illusion of an a "never ended bucket of money" blind you to the realities of business. There is no such thing as a never ending supply of money and as the takeover at Liverpool and at QPR shows things are not always as they seem. QPR fans are already paying more to watch their team. Will prices go up or down next year at Loftus Rd? You guess.

Very few people will invest for no anticipated return. Maybe in the old days people invested in their own clubs because they wanted to see it become succesful/survive (which I think is where our current board came in) or for the status in the town.

The other big investors are looking at the mega millions coming in from TV and european football and the "promises" of even more when the future worldwide TV deals are made and seeing huge profits.

The Glaziers' sleep very well I should think. They don't have the debt to worry about. The debt is Man Utd's and Man utd are in effect buying Man Utd for the Glaziers. Is that wrong? Utd continue to win trophies and play good football but have different owners in whose interest it is for Man Utd to continue winning.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Rothko seems to know a lot about things in the club. I do hope that you are so right Rothko it would be a breath of fresh air throughout our club.

Wasnt Tom Cruise and David Beckham also after an English club wow imagine a Charlton Athletic owned by them and AEG. Then we could buy super kevin lisbie back.[/quote]

[quote][cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Rothko seems to know a lot about things in the club. I do hope that you are so right Rothko it would be a breath of fresh air throughout our club.

Wasnt Tom Cruise and David Beckham also after an English club wow imagine a Charlton Athletic owned by them and AEG. Then we could buy super kevin lisbie back.[/quote]

Ha Ha Ha !!! Hold on that could make sense. We're next to the Beckham Academy and O2 Arena and Tom Cruise could fly his plane into City Airport on matchdays and take a speedboat across Thames then jump onto a helicopter and drop onto the Valley pitch without messing up his hair. Posh Spice and Kelly Holmes at Floyd's on matchdays can see it all now.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think some of the comments above assume that high-powered businessman can't see through things. High-powered businessmen usually become high-powered businessmen because they are very astute. If they like the look of Charlton at the right price, they will go for it.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafckev[/cite]I can hear it now....Its 5 minutes to kick off at the O2 Valley!

AAARRRGHH!!!
  • No it'll be the O2 Valleydome.
  • Someone give them a photo of Waggott!
  • We need to get in the prem end of....... without the dollars we are in the stick big time.....and as the gulf gets wider and wider and wider, a backer with some dollars would help.

I think, we are a potential business opportunity money at the moment nothing more..... but attractive never the less....
  • more takeover confusion?
  • Bored Alex?